AOTW # 2 Floral

Possum Roadkill

Leonte, spectacular image!

Really, it's very pretty.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

1. All entries must be 100% created in Paint.net, no stock photos or renders.

I'm not a huge stock user when it comes to abstracts (actually, come to think of it, I don't use any at all), but I think this rule is just a good way to limit creativity.

If use of stocks makes brings down the value of a piece, I believe it should be up to voters to decide that that.

I'm not a huge stock user when it comes to abstracts (actually, come to think of it, I don't use any at all), but I think this rule is just a good way to limit creativity.

If use of stocks makes brings down the value of a piece, I believe it should be up to voters to decide that that.

Actually it's up to the host and the person who chooses the theme. We allow the use of stocks and renders in the WOTW, the SOTW, WSC, and in the Misc. Comp. The point of this comp and the TOTW is to showcase people's Paint.net ability. While the use of stocks and renders is a valid use of PdN, I have chosen to limit the use in my comps to the WOTW and it will not change in the AOTW comp. It is up to the hosts of the other comps to make that decision for the comps they host. If you want to use stocks and renders, I would suggest that you enter one of the comps that allows their use.

Rather than limit creativity i would say it promotes it's, by not allowing stocks the onus is on the entrant to use their own imagination and skill rather than that of an other artist.

If an entrant finds a stock they would really like to use in a work the focus then shifts to their ability to recreate that stock using the tools available to Paint.net, this in it's self can be

of great benefit to the artist/user and the Paint.net community as a whole as new and innovative ways to use the available plugins can be discovered, as witnessed by the many tips

, tricks and tutorials that can be found with in the forum. The comment you make is valid, and i fully understand the thinking behind it, however within the confines of this particular

competition 'the piper calls the tune' or in other words 'it's Possums game , he makes the rules'

Sidereal, yes, I do see your point but I have to agree with AFG on this issue & remembering that this is abstract which encompasses a whole pile of works & styles. There are other comps where you are permitted to use stocks/renders. Abstracts can be made using stocks & renders & look great but in this comp we are pure PDN. It frustrates me sometimes but that is good because I have to think & work that bit harder -stretching my abilities to the limit at times.

Rather than limiting creativity I believe (in my case at least) it promotes creativity. A couple of newer ones thought they couldn't do abstract without stock & yet they have turned in some pretty darned good works.

On the other hand we have skinning & pixel comps which just don't suit my style - so I leave that one alone. That is the great thing about the new forum - something for everyone!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

We have a couple of days to go until this comp is closed to entries ! Comp closes Wednesday evening !

I'd really like to see more people join in on this one, so tell your friends, tell your family, let your dog give it a try, you never know who will win!

Actually it's up to the host and the person who chooses the theme. We allow the use of stocks and renders in the WOTW, the SOTW, WSC, and in the Misc. Comp. The point of this comp and the TOTW is to showcase people's Paint.net ability. While the use of stocks and renders is a valid use of PdN, I have chosen to limit the use in my comps to the WOTW and it will not change in the AOTW comp. It is up to the hosts of the other comps to make that decision for the comps they host. If you want to use stocks and renders, I would suggest that you enter one of the comps that allows their use.

Doesn't making good use of stocks count as paint.NET ability? Using a stock isn't at all about pasting it in your work and leaving it as it is; using a stock is not necessarily the easy way to go about something, sometimes it's the way to make something new and exciting. And in an abstract piece, chances are a stock will not be the focus point. If it is, and the voters believe the work that has been done with this stock is minimal, unoriginal, or does not fulfill whatever criteria they use to judge entries,then they don't have to vote for it...

And like I said, I don't use stocks in abstracts, and I very rarely use stocks outside of that. I just think you can do remarkable things with them, that not everyone is able to do them with only superficial knowledge of the way paint.NET works, and that those who can outperform others in that field should be rewarded.

But of course, in the end, it's up to you to do what you think is right.

Edited by Sidereal

Doesn't making good use of stocks count as paint.NET ability? Using a stock isn't at all about pasting it in your work and leaving it as it is; using a stock is not necessarily the easy way to go about something, sometimes it's the way to make something new and exciting. And in an abstract piece, chances are a stock will not be the focus point. If it is, and the voters believe the work that has been done with this stock is minimal, unoriginal, or does not fulfill whatever criteria they use to judge entries,then they don't have to vote for it...

And like I said, I don't use stocks in abstracts, and I very rarely use stocks outside of that. I just think you can do remarkable things with them, that not everyone is able to do them with only superficial knowledge of the way paint.NET works, and that those who can outperform others in that field should be rewarded.

But of course, in the end, it's up to you to do what you think is right.

Yes, in the end it is my decision, but it's also my responsibility too. It's not as easy as you might think.

I'll tell you what I'll do, on the next opportunity I'll have an abstract theme that is all photo-manipulation. I have some ideas that I have been playing with, so I'll work something up. See? I'm not a bad guy (all the time).

There is also the new Space Art Comp that allows stocks and renders and just about anything else. It's kind of a Space Free For All idea. You would be able to use what you want in that comp, so check it out.

POLL IS UP - GO VOTE !!!!

The VOTING period for this competition run through Saturday evening (May 1st, 2010) at 9:00 p.m., Eastern Daylight Savings Time. All votes submitted up to that time will be accepted.

Winner is Leonte ! Congratulations ! Very nice abstract !!!

Congratulations to the 2nd Place entries by Oma, Welshblue and Possum Roadkill !!!!

Leonte, check your PM's in a few minutes to pick up your gold encrusted and bejeweled award. Please have a new theme ready as soon as possible !

well done Leonte, a win well deserved :trophy:

congrats to runners up also :trophy-silver: OMA, :trophy-bronze: Welshblue,and of course :cake: for Possum..

(sorry possum, cant find "cheeseburger" emoticon)

still not a single vote for me! :mad: oh well, maybe next time.

anyway, congrats to all :mrcyan:

regards j.d.

well done Leonte, a win well deserved :trophy:

congrats to runners up also :trophy-silver: OMA, :trophy-bronze: Welshblue,and of course :cake: for Possum..

(sorry possum, cant find "cheeseburger" emoticon)

still not a single vote for me! :mad: oh well, maybe next time.

anyway, congrats to all :mrcyan:

regards j.d.

Thanks JD ! Don't worry, you will get there. I've seen a lot of improvement in your artwork over the past couple of weeks. I think your last piece was very good. Keep trying and soon you will be rewarded for your hard work. I appreciate you entering in the comps and I enjoy seeing what each and every member comes up with from week to week. This is the most fun I've had since I joined this forum and I hope that everyone enjoys it as well.

j.d. there were quite a few that didn't get a vote, me included but if you look you'll see that only 11 votes were cast.

Congratulations Leonte! Well done Oma & Welshblue!

Great entries from everyone & good on you all for entering.

Again congratulations to the winners!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

j.d. there were quite a few that didn't get a vote, me included but if you look you'll see that only 11 votes were cast.

Congratulations Leonte! Well done Oma & Welshblue!

Great entries from everyone & good on you all for entering.

Again congratulations to the winners!

I noticed that there were very few votes. I think I'll let the voting run longer on the next comp. I do want them to move along, but maybe now that it's summer here (I know it's winter down under!) more people are out and about and not on the forum as much. Maybe one more day to vote wouldn't hurt?

Autumn down under still got 30 deg Celsius!

I agree, let the voting run a day longer. Perhaps 2 votes each? Does that work in a poll?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Autumn down under still got 30 deg Celsius!

I agree, let the voting run a day longer. Perhaps 2 votes each? Does that work in a poll?

You can set the poll for people to have more than one vote, but I'm not sure if you can limit it to just two votes. I'll have to give it a look.

30 Celsius? Let me see, is that 62 degrees Fahrenheit?

30 celsius = (30 x 9 / 5) + 32 = (270/5) + 32 = 86 Fahrenheit.

Wow ! That's hot for fall. I always wondered how to convert the temps from one to the other. I always thought 32 degrees Fahrenheit was the same as 0 degrees Celsius or something like that. I think I have a thermometer around somewhere but it's only reads in Fahrenheit. To me, if I'm sweating, it's hot and if I'm cold I put on a sweater.

OK back to the thread topic....

Leonte has chosen a brilliant theme for the next round. We are working out the details right now. I think you will find it very challenging, so I may extend the entry period by a few days. When I read his PM my brain overheated thinking about it (I don't know if it was Fahrenheit or Celsius). I think you will find it to be a lot of fun and push your PdN talents to the limit. So, get some rest, meditate a little, drink plenty of water, get out in the sunshine, and get ready because the next round starts tomorrow night ! :D

CSM, that sounds right! It is hot for autumn. Still got sunburned a tad working in the garden for an hour unprotected. Trying to Fort Knox the little vege patch- should have Ziggy working for the US military! Got it done now, at least for a while.

Leonte, sounds ominous but awesome!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

ominous? i doubt it. awesome? you decide.

off topic: u can convert Farrenheit to Celsius easy. the human body temperature is 37.5C=98.6F. the difference between the 2 scales is always constant, so u just need to add/substract that difference to go from one to the other. i know there should be a better example out there, but body temp is the only one i know in both scales. to move from Celsius to Kelvin (should u ever want to do that), C=K-255.5 and K=C+255.5.

redsig.png