AOTW # 2 Floral

Possum Roadkill

ATOWBanner2.png

Winner is Leonte ! Congratulations ! Very nice abstract !!!

Congratulations to the 2nd Place entries by Oma, Welshblue and Possum Roadkill !!!!

Leonte, check your PM's in a few minutes to pick up your gold encrusted and bejeweled award. Please have a new theme ready as soon as possible !

Abstract of the Week Competition # 2 POLL IS UP ! VOTE NOW !

THEME IS: "Floral" !

Make an abstract that looks like a flower or groups of flowers.

This is the first competition dedicated to Abstract Art created in Paint.Net.

The winner of AOTW Sokagirl has chosen a great theme but wants to keep it simple.

So here are the rules....

1. All entries must be 100% created in Paint.net, no stock photos or renders.

2. Minimum size is 800 X 600. There is no maximum size.

3. All submissions must be entered as a thumbnail link to the full size image.

4. No images previously submitted will be allowed.

This thread is for DISCUSSION only ! Please post your entries HERE.

The VOTING period for this competition run through Saturday evening (May 1st, 2010) at 9:00 p.m., Eastern Daylight Savings Time. All votes submitted up to that time will be accepted.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

I thought there were no placeholders...

:D:lol:

Hmmmmmm, it would seem that I forgot to add special rule #5 to this thread. B)possum_icon.png

I love that possum icon. I am putting it in my sig. :D

Careful, I think the second one may be rabid ! =O

Do we really need to open a new discussion thread for every new competition theme?

No I just choose to. It keeps the thread cleaner, makes it easier for people to find the current week comp, and since I am the one who is making the thread and hosting the comp, I'm the one who is doing all the typing, and I don't mind doing so. The first time I entered the SOTW, I was kind of confused on the discussion thread because when I started at the first page of discussions, it was not about the current week's theme. So I jumped to the end of it and had to back up three or four pages to get to the start of the current week discussions. Since there are constantly new members joining this forum who might want to enter a comp, I thought it might be friendlier to have a new discussion thread every week, unless that is a comp lasts more than a week. That is a distinct possibility for some of the comps in the future. But that is a different story for another day.

CSM, I'm gonna slap you - I think I've said this before...NEVER put your own work down.

1. You will believe it.

2. Other people will actually believe you.

3. You take away someone else's pleasure of telling you your works sux (not me, that's for sure!).

4. It's a sneaky way to get people to say nice things about it (but a cultural norm in some countries).

Exceptions are when you have an image that you need advice with & you are not too sure on a particular aspect.

Don't worry, you're not the first one I've slapped. Now have a :cookie: & a :mtdew: while I have a :coffee: You know what? I'd love a lollypop.

New comp - new thread. See rule #5...

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Yes, I know. You will get more confidence...sigs well that is another story. You do them really well & while I like my own, I never win a comp or even come close.

Why not view abstracts as a large, squarer sig?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Yes, I know. You will get more confidence...sigs well that is another story. You do them really well & while I like my own, I never win a comp or even come close.

Why not view abstracts as a large, squarer sig?

That is one of the most profoundly accurate statements I've ever heard. I have been trying to get people to think that way for a long time. I guess I was just using the wrong words. :lol: As if that's not a surprise ! You are so correct ! A sig or an abstract or a wallpaper is nothing more than a piece of art that conveys the feelings and message that the artist is trying to say in pictures instead of words. What was that old song, "Every Picture Tells A Story" ?

Ah Ha ! I found it ! YouTube

Edited by Possum Roadkill

That, my dear Possum is not only an old song & very fitting, it is also awesome by one of my favourite artists. What a blast from the past. I could give you a hug right now.

Not nearly as profound as Andy Warhol - art is what you can get away with.

There is another one but not sure if it is Andy's - art is what an artist does.

Mondrian painted a canvas white & one black dot (least I think it was him). The artist in his circle were purists. They had something to say. We all construct our own reality & meaning. What we see is not what others see in an image or how it makes them feel - the response - good or bad that it invokes in us, changes us forever & indeed changes the image too.

I never create art to impress anyone - but like learning a new language, more elaborate & precise expression is facilitated by practice.

Basically this means the more I do it less time I have to spend on how to do something that I want to express (because I've practiced enough to get it down pat) & the more I am able to express (the images get more complex) & the more precise (smoother, more polished) the work becomes.

If I lived to be 100 & talked about art every day for 10 hours, I'd never get to the end of the subject.

Do some research on abstraction, abstract art & artists. Make the canvas white, add a black dot - what do you see? Why do you think/feel that? What could you do to change that?

CSM, just using lines & 2 colours, can you show me an image of rage. Now in the same vein, can you show me an image of peacefulness. Damn doesn't that sound like a fun idea for a comp?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Barbie is right you know , everyone has a fair shot at it .. Try out creating abstracts and who knows you just might surprise yourself .. :cookie-chocolate::ghost:

What is abstract ? it's anything you want it to be.

This is a painting by Jackson Pollock it's simply called No 5 and painted in 1948

th_No51948.jpg

This painting was rumoured to have sold for $ 140,000,000 in 2006

oma,

When using the Full Editor, Thumbnail is at the bottom

of the Other styles drop-down menu.

Click on the word Thumbnail, then paste in the

direct link of your image.

No tags needed.

Edited by Sarkut

Lots of great entries this time around .. Good luck everyone :mrgreen: , so happy to see Oma in this one :star: :star:

I agree. Welcome back Oma, it's good to see you back in action ! I think Sarcut's entry is awesome! It looks like microscopic photos I saw in National Geographic of different kinds of pollen.