Sign in to follow this  
Rubrica

Pixel Competition #6 Discussion - Entry Period has Begun!

Rubrica    14

So, welcome to the discussion thread for Pixel Competition #3! Here, we'll all discuss important matters (yeah, right) and other such things. I will also look for your feedback on certain matters, to help improve the competition.

One thing I should first like to ask is this; what are people's opinions on how the next theme should be decided if the competition ends in a tie? I have a system thought up to help determine the theme, but it's a work in progress.

Edited by Rubrica

Sarkut    5

Line tool OK?

Paintbucket OK?

Can you put a link to the competition thread in the first post?

Why no cheating? :)

In fact, what is cheating?

Opinions on what is acceptable vary among pixel artists.

This needs to be clarified in the Rules.

Edited by Sarkut

Frontcannon    4

One advice

Don't use the color picker. If you try to mimic the anit-aliased way photos are displayed when looked at with a high zoom.. trust me, it'll turn out very VERY horrible. The teeth looked like she chewed through something very old and rotten I_I

Rubrica    14

I was wondering... what would people say were I to propose that I create a pixel art tutorial. I don't think we have a comprehensive one yet; there are specific ones, and ones that were never quite finished, so I want to create on once and for all.

Frontcannon    4

Some tips for starters:

Don't use outlines. You may if you want to achieve a different style, but it doesn't work well most of the times.

You can use outlines if they are in a slightly darker color then the object they're outlining and not black.

Don't try to get too detailed. If you're working with high zoom like I do (800% - 1200%), you tend to try to work stuff in the picture you won't see at a normal view. Stay simple!

Gradients are easy to make! Just alter the values in the color menue until you have reached the desired dark- or lightness.

L3ron    0

Please please please give us some entries! :(

Hey, I know that this is annoying but all my trys really suck. PixelArt is a real big task (to me). Dunno if others do think so too but I think PixelComps should get a monthly competition...

Rubrica    14

Well, I'm finding that what the problem is is that people seem to be good at some things and very bad at others. I have a plan, so don't worry.

Also, I'm extending the duration f competitions to three weeks in the future so that we get quality work.

Rubrica    14

Oops, left this for a while, eh? I do, however I do not intend on continually bumping the thread, and so the competition will close when we receive one or two more entries - otherwise it's not really much of a competition. However, after this comp, I think I may discontinue the competition, as no-one is really displaying any interest.

pdnnoob    257

I was making an entry, but didn't have time to finish before the deadline...thought the comp was over. I'll whip something up sometime soon, hopefully ^^

EDIT: entry submitted.

Edited by pdnnoob