AOTW # 1 Discussion Thread

Possum Roadkill

ATOWBanner.png

Abstract of the Week Competition # 1

THEME IS: "Fractal-ized" !

Make an abstract that looks like a fractal.

This is the first competition dedicated to Abstract Art created in Paint.Net.

Since this is the first round, I want to keep it simple so here are the rules.

1. All entries must be 100% created in Paint.net, no stock photos or renders.

2. Minimum size is 800 X 600. There is no maximum size.

3. All submissions must be entered as a thumbnail link to the full size image.

4. No images previously submitted will be allowed.

DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRY HERE !

This thread is for discussion of this comp only !

Post all entries in the entry thread HERE

The entry period for this competition run through Saturday night (April 17th, 2010) at midnight, Eastern Daylight Savings Time. All entries submitted up to that time will be accepted.

A special thanks to Frontcannon who gave me the idea for the theme.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Just though i would let you know that your link to the discussion thread on the actual competition thread is broken. :roll:

And by the way, this is by far the best new competition to be made.

Ill will definatly be entering. :D

You posted before I had both the entry and discussion thread completed. You have to have one before you can link to the other. Kind of like two ships passing in the night. Try it now.

welshblue's is magical O_O

The colors, the style.. just wonderful. One of my favourite works of art here!!

I so want to get working now.. but all my RAM is sucked up with Apophysis rendering another fractal of mine. And I already have 4 GB :(

Meh I'm no good at Fractals I thought it was going to be Abstracts in general :( I do a have a few but would I be able to use something from my archive's ? Or does it have to be freshly made ?

It's not fractals, it's "fractalize". That means making something that looks like a fractal in Paint.net. I think a lot of your abstract work looks "fractalesque". Since there are so many kinds of fractals, it pretty much leaves it up to your imagination. Heck, even using the clouds plugin and then running it through the fire plugin could be considered a fractal. I would hope someone would go to more effort than that. :lol:

Here are a couple of links for everyone to look at. Read through (and look at the pictures) the first link first !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

Then check out this "real" fractal page on DA. You will see that it's more open than you think it is.

http://apophysis.deviantart.com/

I'd like to call your attention to the "nifty" banner at the top of the Comp and the Discussion threads. The winning entry will have their entry (or a part of) used as the next AOTW banner ! I was going to try to get Rick to give you a ride in his :bmw: , but the logistics of driving a :bmw: across the oceans of the world proved to be more expensive than I thought.

Sokagirl, go do it! You can! Take a look at the current entries. See what I mean? Possum & AFG are so right.

EDIT: Sorry Possum, yes the banner looks great & I love the idea too!

Edited by barbieq25
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks guys but I'm still confused so I don't know ..

Just look through your render menu in effects. Then compare the effects there to what you see on the Wikipedia page. There are a number of plugins that are based on fractals, and you have used some of them already. :D

Are you kidding!? Qualify? Nope! It takes the cake & the cherry too...it is superb! When it has puppies can I have one too please.

You did really well. So intricate & such a beautiful colour. Told you the competition was really stiff & now you've made it even harder for me to win.

In my books you're a winner because I know how hard you struggled to do this. Well done!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Hi Possum.

looked at all the links you mentioned and still dont know if my entry is "fractal-ized"!

but it's there now..so disqualify if necessary..(no offence will be taken)(well..not much anyway!!!)

So far,,entries are awesome..espcially like Sokagirl's "fish"

good luck everyone

regards j.d.

Hi Possum.

looked at all the links you mentioned and still dont know if my entry is "fractal-ized"!

but it's there now..so disqualify if necessary..(no offence will be taken)(well..not much anyway!!!)

So far,,entries are awesome..espcially like Sokagirl's "fish"

good luck everyone

regards j.d.

No, it's just fine. Great job too ! I would have never thought of that. Very creative.