(Texture of the Week) | Discussion Thread

chrisco97

welshblue,

More seriously, if one produces a scene to be a setting for the sign

and the sign is reduced in size, Rotate Zoomed, etc., then posting

a full-size flat view of the sign, in addition should be fine.

Chris can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Edited by Sarkut

Actually, I PM'ed Chris and it turns out he meant you have to post one image of your texture (any view) and optional is to post an image of your texture with text or in a scene. See my entry for an example. ;)

Edited by csm725

The rule about:  You must post your original texture ?  

the trouble with this for me is; I never really have a starting texture for anything I do ... I just keep adding and adding to an image I'm making until I'm happy with how it looks.  So there is no original texture as such

Rules are rules I guess, so I'll sit this one out

For this part I mean the sign, more specifically the rusty part. I just think it's important in a texture competition to show the texture technique, but still allow the artist to put the piece in the context of an overall piece. So whether you just make a rusty sign or a sign and put in a scene, as long as you post the sign so we can see and appreciate the rust technique, all is good.

Does that make sense?

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Yes, great!

------

Right now, best entry, in my opinion, is VatherLokus. Very realistic. If you are reading this, was it 100% Paint.NET?

It is pretty nice Axle, love the rough edges. ;)

------

EDIT: Voting is now up!

Edited by chrisco97

i posted my entry, i dont like the outcome all that much but it's the best i could work out, i don't like making the textures all that much either

I thought you did a pretty good job. You'll get used to doing textures. They are the basis of any image we do. Whether we make the texture or not, it's the texture in an image that give it it's realism and cohesion. Without texture, everything would be flat. :D

i posted my entry, i dont like the outcome all that much but it's the best i could work out, i don't like making the textures all that much either

Doing these textures was a big stretch for you. Ok so the outcome wasn't gobsmackingly great but you did try & hard.

I thought you did a pretty good job. You'll get used to doing textures. They are the basis of any image we do. Whether we make the texture or not, it's the texture in an image that give it it's realism and cohesion. Without texture, everything would be flat. :D

Like Possum said, textures are the basic building blocks of good art.

Your image showed that you thought about the subject matter a great deal. You had the courage to show us something you were less than happy with (not the kind of "my works sux" & I say that so that you'll say - No we love it!" deal).

Axle, You've made a great start on that sign, keep on the look out for rusty bits of painted stuff. Look at it - what do you see? Really see? The colour, the light, the shape, the shadow. That just about sums up an artwork.

It ain't gonna happen in 30 seconds.

Take a wander through some of the older galleries & look at their work from way back. Do it! You see what I mean?

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

yeah, maybe i should have started earlier and done more refining too, rather than making one just before the due date and posting it. but some galleries and other images in this TOTW comp also have some good style and work done to them, i'll keep trying and hopefully improve

yeah, maybe i should have started earlier and done more refining too, rather than making one just before the due date and posting it. but some galleries and other images in this TOTW comp also have some good style and work done to them, i'll keep trying and hopefully improve

Hope we all do...always something to learn, eh?

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I think he meant the combination of both metal around glass or vice versa . That clears things up a lot , good thing I didn't post an entry .

Oh, then it doesn't have to be a texture as a meaning of texture, or may be use the combination of the two to create objects? not just a flat sheet of texture?

What we have been doing is to create a texture based on the theme and then putting it into a picture. You could look at the last two comps discussions and see how it has evolved. BTW, welcome back, we missed you. :D

Never mind .. sorry I made a mistake and I couldn't delete the post .

Edited by sokagirl