pyrochild

Competition Ideas

By giving competitions a dedicated forum, the hope is to have them more noticeable to new forum members and encourage more participation.

You're already a Host; if you want to go ahead and start a couple of these, you can. Probably not all at once, though! I think for now we'll try to keep it to no more than 10 active comps at any 1 time, otherwise entries will just be diluted.

Agreed. I would like to host no more than two comps so I can concentrate on them, do a good job on them, and also have the time to enter others. I think we have many so people interested in hosting a comp, if I only host one, that would be fine with me. I will be glad to do whatever needs to be done to make this a success.

However, if no one else wants it, I would appreciate doing Abstract of the Week. We have a lot of great abstract artists, (Oma, Sokagirl, AFG, come to mind) that tend to be left out of the WOTW and SOTW comps. This will also give some of the noobies a chance to get their feet wet in a comp, as not everyone will enter every week.

I love the idea of the 3D object/realistic comp. Much better than my weird art or best image of the week ideas. (what was I thinking?)

Go!

I disagree. Spacescapes are very popular; there would never be any shortage of entries. And there are tons of possible themes just within the spacescape category. Stars, galaxies, black holes, space battles, planets, asteroid fields, etc.

I agree ! I bet this will be the most popular comp of all.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

Simon Brown    38

Hey contest hosters! We've got mod powers over each other's threads. I don't want this feature removed, but hosters shouldn't abuse this, either!

Not full powers, however, while we can delete them, we can't edit eachothers' posts.

Hey contest hosters! We've got mod powers over each other's threads. I don't want this feature removed, but hosters shouldn't abuse this, either!

Agreed. I will use my powers for goodness and justice.

Seriously, I agree. I will only get involved in someone else's comp if asked. I plan on being a participant as much as a host.

Mike, I realy don't know much about a skinning comp, do you have any info about it? Would this also include things like media players?

Simon Brown    38

Mike, I realy don't know much about a skinning comp, do you have any info about it? Would this also include things like media players?

To give you an idea: link

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Edited malformed link

Mike Ryan    13

Can competition hosts have our own subforum? I think it'd be good for us, plus I think we should work on making a nice set of universal competition rules and formats.

You don't actually skin anything, but you create mockups in Paint.NET. Check some of the older competitions Simon linked to in the Archives for an example of what I mean

chrisco97    2

I will not abuse this feature either. I will only mess with someone else's thread when asked by THEM.

Simon Brown    38

I think we should work on making a nice set of universal competition rules and formats.

I don't really see the point of that beyond following existing rules. :/

--

Also, i've noticed that while polls in IPB can have up to 100 options, they can't contain bbcode. :(

Can competition hosts have our own subforum? I think it'd be good for us, plus I think we should work on making a nice set of universal competition rules and formats.

You don't actually skin anything, but you create mockups in Paint.NET. Check some of the older competitions Simon linked to in the Archives for an example of what I mean

To give you an idea: link

Sorry but that took me to a domain that is for sale. It says, Welcome to aatwo.com. And yes, I think I know what you mean in that you don't actually skin something as in creating an actual workable interface but a mock-up. So this would be like THIS in the Pictorium?

Mike Ryan    13

I don't really see the point of that beyond following existing rules. :/

Private discussion of general rulings, better overall organization, and to ask other hosts to take over for you on leave of absence. Some of this can be done over PM, but I think it'd be a bit more professional to do it over a board.

Edit: @Possum: Yes, that is a perfect example.

Simon Brown    38

Private discussion of general rulings, better overall organization, and to ask other hosts to take over for you on leave of absence. Some of this can be done over PM, but I think it'd be a bit more professional to do it over a board.

Edit: @Possum: Yes, that is a perfect example.

When you say a sub-forum, do you mean like a moderator forum that only the mods/admins can see? I had a section on my last forum where we could discuss issues off the main forum. On my new forum we do not have one because there are so few members and only three mods/admins. But if allowed, I think it might be a good idea. That way someone who is going to be on vacation or has an unexpected emergency can hand over their comp to someone else in their absence and then resume control once they are back. The comp would continue as usual, with no interruptions. If done via PM, we will have to have something akin to a routing list (sorry, the exact word escapes me at the moment) to send a PM to all hosts, then acknowledge someone who will take over.

Simon Brown    38

When you say a sub-forum, do you mean like a moderator forum that only the mods/admins can see?

I think so (aka mod lounge)

we will have to have something akin to a routing list

Rota?

I think so (aka mod lounge)

Rota?

Yes (a mod lounge) and No, it's in MS Outlook when you set up a list of people who you need to send the same email or meeting invite to. Sorry, it was a very very long week. The routing list is what we attach to a document that needs to be dispersed to various departments for assignments or approval. I am crossing synapses at this moment and cannot find the correct word. The proverbial "tip of the tongue" syndrome.

I'm in favor of Mod Host Lounge over mailing lists. But that is just my personal opinion...

I agree, but would be willing to work with either. Thanks for your help and input.

EDIT: misspelled words ? Man, I'm tired.

Edited by Possum Roadkill

csm725    7

I would love to host any available competition. Please!?

Maybe we could do a 'realistic of the week' competition?

EDIT - Or we could to a 'current piece of the week - a piece modeled after current news.

also, 'avatar of the week'.

any ones you like?

Edited by csm725

Realistic of the Week. I like that idea. It would be fun!

That is the same as Monkey Face's suggestion. 3D/realistic. It's not up to me, I am just a humble WOTW host. I thought you were hosting the Sig Battle anyway aren't you?

chrisco97    2

Oh yeah, forgot Monkey Face's idea.

And yes I am, I am running Sig Battles and Texture of the Week. I was saying if CSM725 did it, I would more than likely participate. I forgot about the other one 0(-_-)0 mentoined!

Edited by chrisco97

I would love to host any available competition. Please!?

Maybe we could do a 'realistic of the week' competition?

EDIT - Or we could to a 'current piece of the week - a piece modeled after current news.

also, 'avatar of the week'.

any ones you like?

I like avatar of the week.