Competition Ideas

pyrochild

I think that would work better as a theme for a round of an existing competition, at least at first. If it proves popular enough, then it could become its own thing.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 2 weeks later...

How about a component competition ?

Someone (the host to start off) posts one or more .png files of something,  then we create either a sig or an image / wallpaper using what has been supplied in our own way and style. It could be a wood texture and a shape 3D object, it could be anything really. The winner of each competition would then create the next challenges components. I think it would be a great way of working with each other and also good to see just how we all think.

The host could have the entries sent to them by PM so there would be no sneaky previews of who has done what with the components and then post all the entries at the end of the deadline :)

Just a thought. :)

• Upvote 2

swIFX9v.png

I like the sound of that Sasha. I think it would be a great way of manipulating each others creations and perhaps making something that the OP would not have even thought of doing with his / her files. You could (for example) even have components sent by the winner and two runners up. I could imagine some great ideas created using some of the talent that is on here :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

You could (for example) even have components sent by the winner and two runners up. I could imagine some great ideas created using some of the talent that is on here :)

I think that would be a really good way to interact with people on here, three ideas, multiple end results :)

swIFX9v.png

That sounds like a great idea! There will have to be some judging/ruling/stuff on whether the component was altered too much though.

Yes I do assume there would be rules, just like other comps ;)

Sasha also mentions that all the entries would be posted at the end of the deadline, (entries sent via PM to the host) again I assume that members would then vote for a winner.  If the component is an almost completed item, then there would be little room to mutilate it too much unless you went crazy with effects.

My guess is one of the rules would have to be that the components would at least have some resemblance to the original.

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think that would be a really good way to interact with people on here, three ideas, multiple end results :)

I too think it would be a top competition Sasha. Looking at what Welshblue has done with your clipwarp ellipse picture just shows how fresh eyes can change an image :)

Edited by DrewDale

BREtKQW.png

The competition Host can decide what type of competition to run.  No need to be bothering Pyrochild with the details ;)

The competition Host can decide what type of competition to run.  No need to be bothering Pyrochild with the details ;)

Oh, ok. I just thought the host would need admin's permission to start the comp. Sorry  :fear:

Edit: I must be blind as a bat, because I didn't even see the title "Master of Competition Ideas" over EER's avatar... :bertie:

Edited by Daniels

I was under the impression that this discussion was for ideas for existing competitions.  The idea being that we try it in an existing competition and see if it flies...

Competition Ideas

If an idea is accepted, the person who suggested it will be promoted to Competition Host. If he/she declines, an existing Host may volunteer to run the contest.

If no current Host wants to run the new competition, anyone may volunteer or nominate someone else. The final decision is not a democracy; the decision rests with the forum staff. No arguing, whining, complaining.

Please, keep your ideas reasonably intelligent.

I do assume that this first post is no longer relevant ? 

Edited by DrewDale

BREtKQW.png

The date says it all.  Since that post we've had a discussion on the number of competitions and the (relatively) low number of entrants.  If you genuinely feel we need another competition - I'm sure we can set that up.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Zombies. Zombies. ZOMBIES!

Hone+Hariwera+Zombie.jpg

Obama+Zombie.jpg

• 3 months later...

Design your own ambigram. Here's an example:

mishra_ambigram.gif

An ambigram is a text image that reads the same right-side-up or up-side-down.

The advanced class can make ones that say different words depending on direction. One I saw said "LOVE" one way and "HATE" the other.

+1

Great idea for a competition.

• Upvote 1

I think this would be great for a SOTW or something like that, but I honestly don't think that this is a comp that would stay fun week/month after week/month. 

But it's a great idea though!

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

• 2 months later...

I have two ideas.

I'm sure they have already been given, but since I don't know where or when, and since most suggestions on here seem to be fairly old, I'll go ahead and share them.

----------------------------------------------------

1) Basically, why not simply have a "Picture Theme" competition? In other words, something almost exactly like the signature competition.

The differences would Be :

* Image sizes.

The image sizes would not be limited to signature sizes. Of course a max size would still need to be in place, but a bigger one.

* Not user name based.

Although signatures don't have to have the user's name on it, since siggies are signatures, normally the user's name is expected or is often a focus point, BUT with the "Picture Theme"  competition, text would be based specifically on the theme, and that's if any text is even used at all.

I'm suggesting this because I would love to see everyone's themed masterpieces as normal images and works of art, not just signatures.

------------------------------------------------------

2) My Second idea is a "Use This Effect" competition. There are so many plugins and effects, this would not only be fun to lead people into exploring them, but we could see people's creativity with each one. Creativity would vary and how people use the effects would be fun to see.

However, where the effect is located in PDN should be told, as some people may not be familiar with the effect. And if the effect is a plugin, then a link should be placed to that plugin, along with saying the effects location in PDN.

Examples :

"Use The Dents Effect"

Found in Effects > Distort > Dents

"Use The Liquify Plugin"

*link*

Found in Effects > Tools > Liquify

"Use The Clouds Effect"

Found in Effects > Render > Clouds

---------------------------------------------------------

These are only ideas, so the competition names are welcome to be changed to anything, and the layouts of the ideas don't really have a set form.

About your first suggestion...

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25671-image-battles/

Second one sounds pretty cool to me :)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

How about a plugin-based competition where you are given a short list of plugins, tools*, adjustments, effects, etc that are allowed in your entry as well as a theme (no stocks images unless provided by the competition host). Basic anti-alias plugin always allowed.

Theme examples:

-create a planet using only the tools menu and layers. Minimum image dimensions: 100x100

-design a signature with only the text tool, clouds, and polar inversion. Image dimensions restricted to 150x500

-make a desktop wallpaper with only the line tool, and layers. Minimum image dimensions: 800x600

-edit (insert image) using only ___# effects of your choice. Image dimensions restricted to original image size

-create an avatar in six steps (screenshot of history window required)

...and so forth.

*I added tools to the restrictions because we have people like aislin who can whip up a crazy piece of art using only the brush, line, and paintbucket :P Selection and move tool should always be allowed.

I like this idea too.

SloppySig.png

About your first suggestion...

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25671-image-battles/

Second one sounds pretty cool to me :)

For my first idea, thanks for the suggestion. However, there aren't any themes involved with image battles, it's only super cool pictures vs super cool pictures. And only two people at a time can compete. But I will definitely say there are some awesome masterpieces in the image battles.

For my second idea, I'm happy you like it.

Now, since I'm still learning the ropes around these forums, can I ask what happens if an idea gets enough likes? Or how does an idea come to life?

#2   That would be entirely up to the current Comp Host &/or the person choosing the competition.  Probably dependent on the plugin chosen.