Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Illnab1024

Alpha Mask Import Plugin (2.0)

115 posts in this topic

Make sure you are downloading AlphaMask.zip, not AlphaMaskImport_SRC.zip.

quick question before I go requesting a plugin and look like an idiot in the General Discussion: If I was to set certain portions of an alpha mask transparent, would I be able to use the settings to only change the transparency of the image instead of deleting all Alpha pixels?

Mike Ryan, I was thinking about what you were saying and so I just tested this on your signature:

170896-Untitled.png

I feel kind of stupid not knowing you could use it for transparency like this! Well now I have good use for it :)

I just needed to be sure it was possible because I am in huge need of a Transparency Mask Import Plugin atm. Working on some text blending.

Is there a way to make sure it doesn't import .pdn images? I saved my mask in .pdn, imported it, then PDN crashed :(

It's kind of my fault, but it'd be pretty cool if it made sure things like that didn't happen :D

Wow - this was the only feature I've ever found PDN lacking. If I knew C#, I'd just code it myself, but all of my development has been in unmanaged C++.

Thanks a lot!

@Illnab1024:

I should have said this months ago:

Most.Useful. Plug-in. Evah!!!

In my media classes, I get my students to do A LOT of image compositing - and this plug-in makes it a breeze...

If anyone is interested, I posted a Student Handout: (http://www.geocities.com/gerry_satrapa/Compositing.pdf)...

Is it worth a Tutorial (PM me if you think so)? I did search, but couldn't find a similar tutorial :|

@Illnab1024:

I should have said this months ago:

Most.Useful. Plug-in. Evah!!!

In my media classes, I get my students to do A LOT of image compositing - and this plug-in makes it a breeze...

If anyone is interested, I posted a Student Handout: (http://www.geocities.com/gerry_satrapa/Compositing.pdf)...

Is it worth a Tutorial (PM me if you think so)? I did search, but couldn't find a similar tutorial :|

WOW. :shock: That is a great PDF. There has been a tutorial on it though, by CMD:

http://cmdsketchpad.com/tutorial.php?tutid=3

I have one question:

Why have I to save the mask before I apply the mask?

This seems uncomfortable. :?:

Why have I to save the mask before I apply the mask?

That would require two images - the alpha mask and the image. Effects plugins can only access one layer of one image each time per-run.

First off I love this plugin and use it constantly but there is an issue thats starting to bug me about it.

It seems that after using the plugin to make a mask from an image there are left over pixels from the original image.

Original image and mask:

am1rb3.png

After using the plugin:

am2my8.png

As you can see there are leftovers from the original image. Is there a way to maybe edit the code and stop this from happening or is it just something I'm gonna have to deal with? Thanks

@Jake2K: It seems, from your image, that the pixels left over are from when black meets white. Perhaps something to do with the Mix Alpha option?

jake2k, the plugin only affects the Alpha channel. The other channels (Red, Green, and Blue) will be unaffected and therefore the color information is still there, just not visible. If you need to remove the RGB info, it's fairly simple to do so with Curves+ or even just the Delete key.

Yea I usually just delete it but I was just wondering :lol:

Does the eraser tool do the same thing...? :?

AFAIK you cannot *undo* the eraser. Also, IMO that question would be more appropriate for my AMB plugin.

If I Invert the mask the transparency has an alpha value of 1 instead of 0....

I thanks you muches!! I have needed one of these for a while, but I was too lazy to look for one. :P

If I Invert the mask the transparency has an alpha value of 1 instead of 0....

this

and, if I use a total white(255 255 255) mask, it still give the picture transparency alpha 254

It wont work for me. When I try to use it it says rendering except then nothing happens. Then I get this error message

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\AlphaMask.dll

Effect Name: PaintDotNet.Effects.PhotoFloodFillEffect

Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: frozen mask

at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.PhotoFloodFillEffectConfigToken.GetImage(String aFileName)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.PhotoFloodFillEffect.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Join()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.DoEffect(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, PdnRegion selectedRegion, PdnRegion regionToRender, Surface originalSurface, Exception& exception)

can someone help me?

Would it be possible to add a couple of x and y sliders to the interface for displacement? Might be useful.

I'm not a coder, though, so I don't know how hard this would be.

I am having trouble with results from using Alpha Mask. I keep getting a transparency # of 9 for the background. I need complete transparency or I get a haze. I am using this to make plant textures. Can this be done? Or am i an idiot and doing something wrong :)