Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Illnab1024

Alpha Mask Import Plugin (2.0)

115 posts in this topic

Once you learn how to use it, it will become the gateway to new skills, techniques, and possibilities. It's one of the greatest plugins ever (or should I say the greatest?).

Anyone have the source code to this?

The link is broken and I haven't seen Illnab1024 online in a while.

Thanks!

(I have an idea for a plugin and this code would be a good starting place.)

Has nothing to do with that Steganography topic in the General Coding forum has it? If not, could you enlighten us with a small taster for what is to come?

Has nothing to do with that Steganography topic in the General Coding forum has it? If not, could you enlighten us with a small taster for what is to come?

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. ;)

I found the source code to pleska's Photo Flood Fill plugin. I'll just use that.

Still waiting for a tut explaining how to use it well, though... ;)

Here's a really good tutorial on how to use it, it helped me out TONS.

http://cmdsketchpad.com/tutorial.php?tutid=3

The_Lionhearted's post is dated May 31, 2007.

If you look at the PdN forum post for that Tutorial, you'd see that T_Lh has since posted there extolling the virtues of said Tutorial...

Yeah, we were all very aware when CMD finished that Tutorial.

The_Lionhearted's post is dated May 31, 2007.

If you look at the PdN forum post for that Tutorial, you'd see that T_Lh has since posted there extolling the virtues of said Tutorial...

Yeah, we were all very aware when CMD finished that Tutorial.

Well I did a search for alpha masking last month when I was trying to figure out how to use it and nothing useful came up. So I assumed the results would be the same this month, and since the person asking the question didn't edit his post saying that he had found one I again assumed that he had NOT regardless of the date it was posted. And even if he had, I figured a link to that tutorial would be relevant in this topic seeing how it's using this exact plug-in. I thought if someone new (like me) had came across this plug-in and wanted to know how to use it that that link would be useful and convenient since it's now posted in this topic and they don't have to Google the web for it.

Sorry for wasting everyones time and precious posting space on this topic since obviously all of us (even us noobs) are all very aware of this tutorial.

Sorry if you didn't mean what you said as rude or sarcastic, but I took it as such, and I'm not in a good mood right now.

/end rant

Sorry if I sounded a little rude. Please let me qualify my last statement...

Yeah, we (interested parties; including T_Lh) were all very aware when (back in Jun. 07) CMD finished that Tutorial.

------------

I agree that the tutorial should be linked in this post; but, it'd probably be best if a Mod plugged the link into the main post, for all to easily find?

Sorry if I sounded a little rude. Please let me qualify my last statement...
Yeah, we (interested parties; including T_Lh) were all very aware when (back in Jun. 07) CMD finished that Tutorial.

------------

I agree that the tutorial should be linked in this post; but, it'd probably be best if a Mod plugged the link into the main post, for all to easily find?

Sorry that I was rude, and yes I agree it should be plugged into the main post, along with the other two links people have supplied also showing what this plug-in does.

I have found this plugin one of the most useful of all. I have a question/problem with it, though. I understand the concept of the plugin and am able to implement it. However, when I have a picture, apparently when the picture includes transparent pixels, the plugin does not seem to render the mask correctly. Consider my layer toolbox:

mask_prob_01.png

I have a blue background and a black layer with the text cut out by using the alpha mask earlier. So, where the text is, it is transparent. I applied gaussian blur to the black layer, creating a feathered look/inner glow within the text. I then use the alpha mask (a white background with black text; a png) and expect this:

mask_prob_02.png

Instead of that I get something like this:

mask_prob_03.png

Apparently, the pixels in the black layer that have any (or a certain amount of) alpha are just being rendered as without alpha and opaque. This is my conclusion based upon playing with the alpha mask. It seems to render a certain a pixel with a certain percentage of alpha (say less than 50%) as opaque and a certain percentage of alpha (say over 50%) as transparent. I am expecting the mask to keep the pixels that are to be shown exactly as they are on the layer, but that is not happening. I think this is a bug of sorts, or maybe just an oversight? Any input would be appreciated.

I am considering fixing this right now,

just trying to see what would be best.

Hi there! I really like this plugin, but in the update, the mix alpha feature confuses me. If I have a layer below the one I am masking, isn't it going to affect the one I am masking when checking off the mix alpha, or will an imported layer above the masked layer be affected? Sorry if this has been explained before, it is possible I didn't get it. :oops:

Well, I don't consider this double posting, since it was a few days ago that I last posted, but experimenting with alpha mask 1.2, I discovered that I could mask a layer, and if the layer below was black, it could show through or be covered up, depending if the new feature was checked. I'll experiment more.

Dont know if your still hanging around but I use this plugin constantly, I would not be able to survive without it haha, thanks a ton!

there is no actual .dll file in the Alpha Mask Import Plugin, i was really hoping to try out snospmiS's kiosk orbs tut today but it doesn't look promising. :evil: