ShyneTex

pdnnoob

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Another text tutorial

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So...We are making this:

See end for better quality text after you complete the tutorial.

Plugins:

None

Optional plugins:

Align Object

If I missed one, please include it in

your cynical comments. Thanks!

NOTE: If you don't think naming your layers is important the way I do, name your layers anyways. I learned my lesson the hard way and hope you don't do the same.

Let's begin!

1. Fill the Background layer with black and make a new layer called "text base"

2. Change the primary color to your favorite color and type in big letters (at least 70 pt font. The bigger it is, the better the results...just keep it under 150 ;) ) with a script style font. I used "Vladmir Script." If you use Windows, it should be a default font.

If you want, you can use the "Align object" plugin to center the text

3. Duplicate the text layer and name the new layer "spare text." Uncheck layer visibility.

4. Go back to "text base" and run the "median" plugin at the highest radius setting you can while keeping every part of the text visible (I use 2 radius)

5. Duplicate the "spare text" layer and name the new layer "text highlights" and make it visible. Turn off the text base layer so we can see what we are doing.

6. Use median on the new layer as in the picture. This is where larger text comes in handy. I used very small text for the tutorial, so the results may not be so great here. As mentioned at the beginning, see end for better quality results.

7. Make the base layer visible again and adjust the hue and saturation of the highlights layer to your liking. (as you see, I liked saturation at 70 and lightness at 50)

8. Select all of the highlight layer and drag it so the edge of the light text meets the edge of the base text. Look at image below to see what I mean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This last part is just my quick-and-easy way of making glow. If you have your own way of making glow, go ahead and use it if you don't want to go through a mere seven simple steps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9. Duplicate the text base layer and call it "glow (base)" then do the same with the highlights layer and call that one "glow (highlights)"

10. Gaussian blur both layers at 5 pixels. If you want, before Gaussian blurring, run glow at -30 brightness and 4 radius. Only recommended for larger text. Change the layer properties of these new glow layers as necessary. (Additive at 90 opacity looks nice on the highlight glow)

11. Move the "spare text" layer down until it is the bottommost layer above the background. Rename it "glow (all)" and make it visible.

12. Gaussian blur at 5 pixels

13. (Hue/Saturation) Increase saturation to 150 and lower the Lightness to -30

14. Lower the layer opacity to 180.

15. Flatten image. You're done!

I thought this text looks nice with a mess of gradients...

Here's the HQ version I promised:

Have Fun!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

thanks! it's weird what you can make by just messing around with effects logically XD This tutorial was a total accident

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

hmm...maybe it doeswork with non-script text... <mumbles to self>

Anyhow, nice work! I like the glow and the background. What did you do?

• 4 months later...

nice creations, guys!

@SparkRazor What size is your text when you start? It needs to be quite large when you are making it (for thin text like palace script or Vladmir script, maybe around 200-400. The bigger it is, the better the results in most cases.). When you are done, you can shrink the text down to size.

• 3 months later...

Plugins:

None

Optional plugins:

Align Object

If I missed one, please include it in

your cynical comments. Thanks!

4. Go back to "text base" and run the "median" plugin at the highest radius setting you can while keeping every part of the text visible (I use 2 radius)

my cynical comments:

no plugins but use the median plugin?

grumble, ok. i'm off to add that and try again.

THANX for the tut tho! looks nice! trying it out!

• 1 month later...