How To Make Shiny turn Dull?

jp2paint

I want to generate some theoretical colors before sending motorcycle parts to the paint shop, so I'm testing out looks using Paint.NET. The end result does not need to be flawless, just have a way to see about what it is going to look like.

I've created a couple of versions while trying to get to an olive drab look. Both look cool, but I just don't know how to get the glossy paint to look dull - I really want to see an "olive drab" version; I just don't know how to do it.

I tried to attach my PDN file, but the message board would not accept something over 2 MB. Instead, I zipped it up with a couple of example outputs and posted it on a Google Site here:

Maybe someone can do some fancy foot work on this and have something churned out really fast so I can easily see what different colors would look like. :D

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement (click to read why)

Well, we're not going to do your job for you. :roll: Post a smaller picture and we'll give you some ideas on how to do it yourself. But we don't do things for you here. We just help.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You can start by getting rid of those sharp highlights and reflections. See how the highlights are very smooth and gradient-like on the flat black plastic parts? Try to emulate that on the gas tank etc. Blurs, frosted glass, and smudge are all ideas that immediately come to mind that you may want to try.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Hi Pyro, thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I'm a Software Developer and I'm not very good at graphics art. In other words, I have no idea how to do what you are saying. I'm not even sure what all you said. Which parts are highlights? To get rid of reflections, would I have to take my bike in to a professional photo studio to have pictures taken?

Attached are a couple of versions I cranked out: A charcoal gray and an electric blue.

I'm not looking to create a work of art, just get an idea what the motorcycle would look like from different colors before sending it off and getting a surprise when I go pick it up.

8738_c51f234f40cef87fddd6c25b923c4bd4

8738_b3ca2ca6e082988d4fa3375dea8d6bca

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement (click to read why)

i would render the bike and just play with the Hue/saturation under adjustments.. :) i think thats how JP2Paint have done... donno

This tutorial How to re-color cars might be of interest.