How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue

• 5 months later...

Version 2.4.1 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

This version requires Paint.NET 4.0.

Changes:

• Fixed: regression in 2.4.0 that caused loading failures for files created in earlier versions of the plugin.
  • Handles null-terminators on Unicode alpha channel names, a quirk in Photoshop that does not apply to non-Unicode alpha channel names or to other strings. The
  • Files with null blending ranges can now be saved out successfully.

Please note: There is a performance regression in Paint.NET 4.0 when loading files with a large number of layers.  If you regularly load files with more than 100 layers, you may wish to stay on Paint.NET 3.5.11 and delay upgrading until the problem has been fixed.

• 3 months later...

I have an issue to install this plugin. I am running Paint.net 3.5.10. I cannot update to version 4 cause I am running Vista...

I downloaded the last version plugin, unzipped it and put the dll into C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes

Then I relaunched Paint.net, opened my PDN file and make a save as... here, I have no *.psd option.

Is this normal?

thanks

I have an issue to install this plugin. I am running Paint.net 3.5.10. I cannot update to version 4 cause I am running Vista...

I downloaded the last version plugin, unzipped it and put the dll into C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes

Then I relaunched Paint.net, opened my PDN file and make a save as... here, I have no *.psd option.

Is this normal?

Version 2.4.1 requires Paint.NET 4.0, you must use 2.4.0 with Paint.NET 3.5.x.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 months later...

When I try editing graphical font in .PSD layer, it just edits name but it does not reflect changes on actualy picture. Is this plugin just for viewing and moving layers and does not allow changing of characters in fonts?

When I try editing graphical font in .PSD layer, it just edits name but it does not reflect changes on actualy picture. Is this plugin just for viewing and moving layers and does not allow changing of characters in fonts?

In Paint.NET once you have completed typing text, it becomes an image. Edit the text in the future is not possible, only to type it again. It doesn't depend on a plug-in in any way.

Edited by ReMake

@ReMake Thanks but you actually answered something different than I meant to ask. Now I know about uneditable text which you validated what I assumed.

But my question above was about .PSD file made in unknown to me software graphical editor. I got my hands on that file and have dozens of layers each for element that should be able to be changed. I select 1 element and I just want to change text there but it only changes name of that element.

Can I change that text in element or I will have to design it again? I remember usually I was able to change font and text but in my case can it be actual design/graphic?

Edited by TechnicGeek

Can I change that text in element or I will have to design it again?...

No, in paint.NET you can't change the text, it should be created again. For this reason it is recommended to type the text in a separate layer with a transparent background.

But my question above was about .PSD file made in unknown to me software graphical editor...

Usually .PSD file created in PhotoShop.

Paint.NET does not have editable text layers.

The PSD plugin simply loads the file into Paint.NET.  Once it has been loaded in, it's treated no differently than any other Paint.NET document.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this plugin and tested it on my 64 bit version. It doesn't seem to work at all.

I put the dll in the filetype folder then started Paint.net.

I wanted to open a PSD but that seemed invisible to paint.net ( not in the list of filetypes)

Next opened a PDN and wanted to save it as PSD but that was not possible either. The choice simply did not show in the list of filetypes. :(

• 2 months later...

I downloaded the file and placed it in the flietypes folder but it is still the only filetype it doesn't register. Suggestions?

I downloaded the file and placed it in the flietypes folder but it is still the only filetype it doesn't register. Suggestions?

What version of Paint.NET are you using?

If you are using Paint.NET 3.5.11 the latest version of the of the PSD plugin is version 2.4.0, version 2.4.1 only works with Paint.NET 4.0 and later.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

The download is a ZIP file.  "It" should not be placed into the FileTypes folder.

You need to look inside the ZIP file and then copy PhotoShop.dll into the FileTypes folder.

• 4 months later...

Hi I am having problems opening a PSD file using Paint.Net

I have copied the Photoshop.dll in the C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes location but when I try to open a PSD file I get 'Not enough memory' message. I have a Core i7 surface pro with 8gig of memory, I would have thought this would be ok?

thanks

Eddy

How big is the PSD?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please post screenshots of:

• File Explorer, set to View - Details, opened to the folder: C:\Program Files\paint.net
  • File Explorer, opened to the folder: C:\Program Files\FileTypes
  • The Properties page for Photoshop.dll
  • File Explorer, opened to the folder: C:\Program Files\Effects

These screenshots will provide additional information about your system configuration that may help to diagnose the problem.

Please be sure to make the Windows Explorer window wide enough so that we can read all the columns.

It appears that you have installed the Megalo pack, which is an illegal compilation of many outdated plugins from this forum that may contain malware.

You should delete the contents of your Effects folder and run a virus scan, see Megalo = VIRUS! for more information.

Additionally you need to unblock PhotoShop.dll file in your FileTypes folder.

• Upvote 3

PdnSig.png

It appears that you have installed the Megalo pack, which is an illegal compilation of many outdated plugins from this forum that may contain malware.

You should delete the contents of your Effects folder and run a virus scan, see Megalo = VIRUS! for more information.

Additionally you need to unblock PhotoShop.dll file in your FileTypes folder.

Thank you so much! It worked :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just updated to 4.0.8 and all dll files are there but the photoshop dll does not work. I was using Paint.net today before I updated it and the Photoshop pluging worked fine.

So the Photoshop plugin was an older version so I downloaded the latest version and it still won't work. The "unblock" button will not go away. That button was not present before I updated the dll with the new version. So the plugin did not work before or after the photoshop update, but now I can't unblock it. I uninstalled Paint.net and re-installed and the photoshop dll was there without adding the plugin. Still did not work! Removed the Photoshop plugin and downloaded the newest version and I'm having the same problem. Just can't get the dll to unblock.

Running Windows 7 Pro.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance! 

I've never seen this happen to the PSD Plugin, but I have seen it happen to other files.  For some reason, Windows is unable to delete the Alternate Data Stream on the file.

The easiest way to remove the ADS on a file is to pass it through a FAT32 filesystem.

1. Delete Photoshop.dll from the FileTypes folder.
  2. Reboot.  Make sure the file is really gone.
  3. Insert a USB flash drive, ideally 32 GB or smaller.
  4. Right-click on the drive and select Format.
  5. Change "File system" to FAT32.
  6. Click Start, and then OK when it finishes formatting.
  7. Using Internet Explorer, download a fresh copy of the PSD plugin and save it to the flash drive.  (Chrome and Firefox will download the file without asking you where to save it.)
  8. Right-click Photoshop.zip and make sure that "Unblock" does not appear.  If it does, unblock it and make sure it sticks.
  9. Extract the ZIP file on the flash drive.
  10. Right-click Photoshop.dll and make sure that "Unblock" does not appear.  If it does, unblock it and make sure it sticks.
  11. Copy Photoshop.dll from the flash drive to C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes

If at any step you run into a problem, please take a screenshot that shows the problem, and post it here as an image attachment.