taoyue

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

blundell    0

Yeah this file is coming out completely corrupt. I have a mac running a windows VM :-) when I open the .psd in 'preview' on the Mac I can see my two tabs, but when I open it using Paint.net it is screwed up. I can see the layers but all the bits of the image just look like static.

Preview on mac:

tabsScreenShot.png

Paint.net:

paint.png

The PSD source file is 25 meg.

Any ideas?

delpart    15

Might be CMYK conversion issue. I've seen that (in my limited use) of it coming out like that with CMYK source PSD files. If it can be converted to RGB at the source, you *may* get a different result when imorting it into PDN.

taoyue    15

Yeah this file is coming out completely corrupt. I have a mac running a windows VM :-) when I open the .psd in 'preview' on the Mac I can see my two tabs, but when I open it using Paint.net it is screwed up. I can see the layers but all the bits of the image just look like static.

If you could point me to the original PSD file (or upload it somewhere), then I'll certainly take a look at what's going on. Could be a colorspace issue like delpart suggested, but could be caused by a lot of other things, too.

Might be CMYK conversion issue. I've seen that (in my limited use) of it coming out like that with CMYK source PSD files. If it can be converted to RGB at the source, you *may* get a different result when imorting it into PDN.

I'd be interested in debugging with these files, too. CMYK files will not be color-accurate when loaded in, because the conversion completely ignores the color profile. But it should not load in as static. If it does, then that's a bug in the plugin.

Edited by taoyue

Ego Eram Reputo    1,698

'Tis a filetype plugin: ie. expands the types of files that Paint.NET can load and save.

In this case Photoshop's PSD filetype can be opened and saved with Paint.NET (after installation by dropping the dll into the filetypes folder).

How does it work - exceedingly well! :lol:

More seriously, Paint.NET cannot replicate everything that PS stuffs into its files & layers, so there are some PS features that may not translate perfectly.

taoyue    15

Version 2.1 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Changes:

• Fixed a bug in which layer blend modes were not saved when the Paint.NET language is not set to English. Layer blend modes are now preserved on non-English languages as well.
  • Malformed PSD files with missing channels can now be loaded in.
  • Preserves image resolution, so that physical dimensions will be correct along with pixel dimensions.
  • Sets the VersionInfo resource on PSD files to indicate the PSDPlugin version used when saving the file.
  • Fixed a race condition in the parallelized loading, causing random load failures on files with lots of tiny layers.

Edited by taoyue

Caldargo    0

I have a problem I hope you can help me with first I am using the new version 2.1.0 and when I try to open a psd file it gives me an error saying not enough memory also when I try to open a different one it says unexpected error can you please help me with this problem?

Thank you.

Ego Eram Reputo    1,698

... it gives me an error saying not enough memory

It's not lying to you. You don't have enough memory.

also when I try to open a different one it says unexpected error can you please help me with this problem?

It sounds like the file is corrupted. Can you upload it to an image host and post the link here?

Al Capwn    0

Hi guys, I've been working with paint.net and it's awesome, but the thing is that when I try to load a PSD file, it's very slow to load up, and when I try to save it, it gives me an error message saying there's an unspecified error while saving. I don't know if it's too big for my computer or something. But I can't shrink it to reduce it's largeness because it's a template for an arcade stick. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Al Capwn

Ego Eram Reputo    1,698

Hey there Al!

First: Welcome to the forum!

Second: I've merged your post into the thread for the PSD plugin. This keeps all the stuff related to the plugin in the same place.

Al Capwn    0

Hi guys, I've been working with paint.net and it's awesome, but the thing is that when I try to load a PSD file, it's very slow to load up, and when I try to save it, it gives me an error message saying there's an unspecified error while saving. I don't know if it's too big for my computer or something. But I can't shrink it to reduce it's largeness because it's a template for an arcade stick. Thanks in advance!

Never mind fixed it.

kutyus    0

Please, PLEASE support the Editable Text plugin! Make it at least an option: the user could choose whether to import rasterized text, or import text editable using that plugin.

It is certainly hacky, but I think it is still better than having all PSD text rasterized. And whose who think different would still have the choice to choose to import rasterized text.

midora    201

It's happening again. I have this file I'm making arcade stick art on this PSD. http://www.tek-innov...t⊂=templates the Hori Soul Calibur 5 one. I used some gradient, some 2d akuma sprites, and that's all. It's 8.2 MB so i don't know if that's interfering.

No issue here. It loads and saves fast enough. The content is not relevant. The plugin just loads the bitmaps of the layers.

midora    201

Please, PLEASE support the Editable Text plugin! Make it at least an option: the user could choose whether to import rasterized text, or import text editable using that plugin.

It is certainly hacky, but I think it is still better than having all PSD text rasterized. And whose who think different would still have the choice to choose to import rasterized text.

Could you explain how this 'Editable Text' plugin is connected to the psd filetype plugin? As far as I know the 'Editable Text' plugin uses a magic to store the text in the bitmap. I'm pretty sure that no filetype plugin will do this in the same way.

taoyue    15

Never mind fixed it.

It's happening again. I have this file I'm making arcade stick art on this PSD. http://www.tek-innov...t⊂=templates the Hori Soul Calibur 5 one. I used some gradient, some 2d akuma sprites, and that's all. It's 8.2 MB so i don't know if that's interfering.

I can't reproduce the problems. Since you say the problem is intermittent, I tried it ten times, and didn't run into either sluggishness or error messages on any of the ten runs.

Please make sure you're running the latest versions of Paint.NET (3.5.10) and the plugin (2.1.0). I've had users report weird errors that go away once they update to the latest versions. So it's always the first thing to check.

It's very difficult to diagnose intermittent errors. Does it fail every time, or just half the time? What's different between the times it fails, and the times it succeeds? etc. The more context, the better.

It's also difficult to assess "if it's too big for my computer or something" without knowing what your computer specs are. The file takes up about 450 MB of memory and loads in under 1 second on my machine, plus another 1-2 seconds for Paint.NET to render the image. This is unlikely to lead to performance problems, unless, say, you're running a netbook with a single-core Atom and 1 GB of RAM.

Edited by taoyue

taoyue    15

The question of hooking into the editable text plugin has come up before:

I don't really see any developments in the past 20 months to change my thinking on this issue. It's still a hack -- a clever hack, to be sure, but nevertheless a hack.

If Paint.NET were to implement editable text layers natively at some point in the future, that would of course be a different matter. For one thing, I trust Rick to design a good API and think through the edge cases.

Ultimately, there are dozens of features in the PSD file format that are not implemented in the plugin. You could probably make a case for most of these features. The bright-line test of whether something is implemented natively in Paint.NET neatly defines the scope of the plugin.

taoyue    15

Version 2.2 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released, and can be downloaded from: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Changes:

• Layer group visibility is now applied to all layers within the group. This greatly improves the visual fidelity of complex PSD files that have hidden layer groups.
  • Layer group names are prefixed so that users can get an indication of the layer group hierarchy. (Paint.NET has a flat list of layers, so the hierarchy is flattened out on load.)
  • The progress bar now reports status when saving PSD files, instead of showing an indeterminate rolling bar.
  • Performance improvement of 1.7x in RLE compression, and 1.2x in RLE decompression.
  • Better detection of insufficient-memory on 32-bit systems.

StephenWo    0

I would like to use the PhotoShop PSD plugin as a library -- I'd like to call it programmatically to convert a PSD layer to a JPG.

Has anyone done this? If so, could you point me to sample code?

(I could look at the Paint.NET code to see how it uses the plugin, but that code is no longer available).

Thanks,

Stephen

Rick Brewster    832

In order to do that you'd also have to include several Paint.NET DLLs in your project. That would be a violation of the Paint.NET license.

In other words: no.

• Upvote 1

yaco31    0

Hello,

trying to open a psd file, I get the following error message : "Une erreur non spécifiée s'est produite lors de l'ouverture du fichier"

I just installe Paint.net and the plugin so I presume I have the latest versions.

The PSD file is : http://www.teehanlax.com/downloads/ipad-gui-psd-retina-display/

Paint.Net version :  v3.5.10 (Final Release build 3.510.4297.28964)

Plugin Version : 2.2.0.

I hope someone will be able to help me on this.

Rgds,

Yacine.