How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue

I'm having a problem opening a .PSD file in paint.net.

I'm getting a .net error as follows:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.12.6099.39434, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Thanks, Avi

• 2 months later...

It has come to my attention that Codeplex downloads are being blocked in many browsers, including Chrome.  Every download on Codeplex.com is being blocked -- even Microsoft programs like the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool!

If you are running Windows 10, the Edge browser can still download the PSD Plugin successfully.  If you are not using Windows 10, you can download the latest version of the PSD Plugin here: http://www.psdplugin.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Codeplex has finally taken action, and files can now be downloaded successfully on Chrome and Firefox.

Due to the quick reporting from users, the PSD Plugin was one of the first projects on Codeplex to workaround the problem.  I also have reason to believe that the operators of Codeplex took action based directly on my recommendations.  Therefore, every project on Codeplex owes a debt of gratitude to the users of the PSD Plugin.  Thank you!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Getting an error as follows:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.CheckSufficientMemory(PsdFile psdFile)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.LoadLayers(PsdBinaryReader reader, Boolean hasHeader)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.LoadLayerAndMaskInfo(PsdBinaryReader reader)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.Load(Stream stream, LoadContext loadContext)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

PSD file is 15.4 MB consisting of several layers of 3,892 x 3528, but I am pretty sure it is all vector layers (not that I'm certain that would make a difference)

So, that would be 164,771,712 bytes required, right guise?

Well, I have 24GB of memory. I don't think I am likely to run out.

So, I assume it's a limitation in the plug-in not Paint.Net

Please help.

Spoiler

Looks like I'll be forced to use that diabolical monster, GIMP. Yeeeech!

5 hours ago, aragond said:

but I am pretty sure it is all vector layers

The memory issue is the least of your problems. The plugin and paint.net only supports raster images, not vector images.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

5 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

The memory issue is the least of your problems. The plugin and paint.net only supports raster images, not vector images.

Yip, that'll do it. I wish that had been made a little clearer in the ... what? Even Paint.Net doesn't do vector images?!

Spoiler

UGH! Alright, so vomitolicious gimp it is

Thanks for your help, mate

On 2/7/2017 at 5:26 PM, aragond said:

PSD file is 15.4 MB consisting of several layers of 3,892 x 3528, but I am pretty sure it is all vector layers (not that I'm certain that would make a difference)

So, that would be 164,771,712 bytes required, right guise?

Well, I have 24GB of memory. I don't think I am likely to run out.

It would be 164,771,712 bytes if the file has one layer.

PSD files can contain thousands of layers, so that file could require hundreds of GB of memory to load into Paint.NET.

The problem is that Photoshop has partial layers and Paint.NET doesn't.  Because layers are cheap in Photoshop, graphic designers can use layers like candy.  They'll create a new layer for a 10x10 image element.  When the file is loaded into Paint.NET, that 10x10 layer turns into a full 3892 x 3528 layer.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to pass by and say: Thank you Taojue!

Your plugin is great and has always been a boon to my work when cross-editing animations with Gimp, Paint.NET and Genetica 4.

Like seriously, thanks a lot and please keep up the great work!

Roos-Skywalker%20close%20up.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've definitely had it working before but not on this PC.  I just want to save a PDN file with layers as something I can open in another editor (Affinity Designer).

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Paint.Net 4.0.19

PSD Plugin 2.5.0

I've copied the DLL to the filetypes folder but Photoshop PSD files aren't listed when opening or saving files.

2 hours ago, Gerboa said:

I've definitely had it working before but not on this PC.  I just want to save a PDN file with layers as something I can open in another editor (Affinity Designer).

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Paint.Net 4.0.19

PSD Plugin 2.5.0

I've copied the DLL to the filetypes folder but Photoshop PSD files aren't listed when opening or saving files.

We need some more information to diagnose this problem.

Please post screenshots of Windows Explorer, opened to the following directories.  Use Detail mode, and maximize the window so we can see filesize and timestamp.

• C:\Program Files\paint.net
  • C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects
  • C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes

• 3 months later...

Hello, Im trying to find a plugin that works with the latest version of paint.net. The common one doesnt seem to work anymore. Does anyone know of a newer one that does work?

11 minutes ago, jimp888 said:

Hello, Im trying to find a plugin that works with the latest version of paint.net. The common one doesn't seem to work anymore.

Version 2.5.0 seems to work fine with paint.net v4.0.21.  What issue are you seeing?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 1 month later...

i'm getting an error as follows:

PhotoshopFile.PsdInvalidException: Unrecognized layer section type.
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.VerifyLayerSections()

It simply doesn't recognize psd files. Wont load them and wont save them as psd. Ive downloaded the 2.5.0 and the dll is in the file type folder but it does nothing!

On 5/12/2018 at 7:04 PM, iAviator said:

i'm getting an error as follows:

PhotoshopFile.PsdInvalidException: Unrecognized layer section type.
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.VerifyLayerSections()

This is not a common error message.  Please send me the PSD file so I can investigate the problem further.  Use the email address at the top of the PSD Plugin web page: https://www.psdplugin.com/

If the file is larger than about 20 MB, please upload it to OneDrive instead and share it with me using that email address.

1 hour ago, jimp888 said:

It simply doesn't recognize psd files. Wont load them and wont save them as psd. Ive downloaded the 2.5.0 and the dll is in the file type folder but it does nothing!

There is not enough information yet to diagnose the problem.

Please post screenshots of File Explorer, opened to the following directories.  Use Detail mode, and maximize the window so we can see filesize and timestamp.

• C:\Program Files\paint.net
  • C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects
  • C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes

• 7 months later...

I get the following error while trying to load a .psb file. Searched for something similar in the thread, couldn't find. Can someone explain me what's wrong? Thanks!

Application version: paint.net 4.1.5

PhotoshopFile.PsdInvalidException: LayerInfo signature invalid, must be 8BIM or 8B64.
   at PhotoshopFile.LayerInfoFactory.Load(PsdBinaryReader reader, PsdFile psdFile, Boolean globalLayerInfo)

24 minutes ago, sorcered said:

Can someone explain me what's wrong?

It appears that the PSB file may be corrupt.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

13 hours ago, sorcered said:

I get the following error while trying to load a .psb file. Searched for something similar in the thread, couldn't find. Can someone explain me what's wrong? Thanks!

Application version: paint.net 4.1.5

PhotoshopFile.PsdInvalidException: LayerInfo signature invalid, must be 8BIM or 8B64.
   at PhotoshopFile.LayerInfoFactory.Load(PsdBinaryReader reader, PsdFile psdFile, Boolean globalLayerInfo)

Please send me a copy of the PSB file that causes this error.  If the file is too large to email, please upload it to OneDrive and share it to me.

My email address is at the top of the PSD Plugin website: https://www.psdplugin.com/

Unfortunately, it's work related and NDA-protected, meaning I can't share it. I just needed to make a quick change to a presentation using my home laptop instead of my work one, hence me using Paint.net instead of Photoshop. Anything I should look for? (latest Photoshop loads it without any error messages)

16 hours ago, sorcered said:

Unfortunately, it's work related and NDA-protected, meaning I can't share it. I just needed to make a quick change to a presentation using my home laptop instead of my work one, hence me using Paint.net instead of Photoshop. Anything I should look for? (latest Photoshop loads it without any error messages)

Can you strip down the file to a minimum repro case?

Remove half the layers and see if the PSD Plugin can load it.  If it loads successfully, then the problem was in one of the layers that was deleted.  If it still doesn't load, then the problem can be found in one of the layers that remains.  Keep halving the layers until you're down to one, and then erase the contents of the layer.

The error message indicates a parsing error, so I don't need to look at the contents of the file.  The image can be blank.  As long as the file still fails to load in the PSD Plugin, I can take a look at the structure of the file to see what's causing it.

• 2 weeks later...

For people who are struggling without PSD layer groups support you can check the unofficial  fix:

Edit by Rick: Download link removed. See my comment below.

Unfortunately, folders are not supported in the Paint.NET so layer names are used to save the folders back.

SO USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK, while layers marked as "Layer Group:" and "End Layer Group:" will be saved as Folder/Group and your layer data will be lost.

In general, if you will load PSD file with groups it can be saved back without folders loss.

Also, it's compatible with SVG import plugin that can save groups structure now with the same naming.  

group_example.png

tiger_psd_marked.png

P.s. This one cannot be considered as a part of the original plugin while it's not a  wysiwyg approach and you should keep in mind that some layers are really folder markers and you cannot draw on them.