How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue

Does anyone have a working link to the older version of this PSD plugin that works in PDN 3.5.11? The link in the first post is dead.

Thanks.

All the old versions are archived on the project's site.

https://psdplugin.codeplex.com/releases/view/114721

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Version 2.5.0 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

This version requires Paint.NET 4.0.11.

Changes:

• Faster saving of files with few layers.
  • Loading of PhotoDeluxe files with channel length of 0.
  • Support for PSB Large Documents:
    • Each channel must be smaller than 2,147,483,647 bytes.
    • Although PSB files can go up to 300,000 pixels in either dimension, Paint.NET images are limited to 65,535 pixels.
    • PSB files are automatically saved if either dimension exceeds the 30,000 limit for a PSD file. However, the user must manually change the filename extension from .PSD to .PSB.

Changes for developers using the PSD Plugin as a library:

• Saving of 16-bit and 32-bit depth images
  • Image compression using ZIP and ZIP-with-prediction
  • Upvote 4

I updated to the new 4.0.12 last night.  Now, it won't open any .psd files.  It still lets me choose it as an option when saving files.  What should I do?!!  I REALLY need to use .psd files on paint.NET.

EDIT:  I tried deleting the .dll and downloading it again....and I keep getting an error message. 

Edited by DanceERB
additional info.

Hi DanceERB - Welcome to the forum :D.

I've just updated to 4.0.12 and it's working fine for me.  Are you sure you put the photoshop .dll in the File Types Folder and not Effects?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

56 minutes ago, DanceERB said:

I updated to the new 4.0.12 last night.  Now, it won't open any .psd files.  It still lets me choose it as an option when saving files.  What should I do?!!  I REALLY need to use .psd files on paint.NET.

EDIT:  I tried deleting the .dll and downloading it again....and I keep getting an error message. 

...... what's the error message?

(pro tip: always include the error message!)

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

DanceERB sent me email separately with the error message.  I am posting here so that you're not left in suspense about the resolution.

The problem was caused by using 7-Zip to extract Photoshop.dll directly into C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes.  This folder requires administrative privileges to write to it.  However, 7-Zip runs as an unprivileged user and does not try to elevate itself to admin.  It just gives an error message.

The workaround is to do a two-stage copy.  First, use 7-Zip to extract the ZIP file to another directory.  Then use Windows Explorer to copy the DLL into C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes.  Windows Explorer will prompt to elevate, so the second copy operation will work.

Incidentally, this is the sort of corner case that third-party utilities often miss.  The ZIP handler that's built-into Windows will prompt to elevate if the user does not have permission to write to a directory.

I am using Paint.NET version 4.0.12, and I put PhotoShop.dll into FileTypes, but when I opened Paint.net again and checked filetypes, .psd did not show up. Is there something I'm missing? Here is the path: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Filetypes\PhotoShop.dll

Hi Blockrylin and Welcome to the forum :)

Strange - just to re-cap - can you see it in your folder?

Should look like this:

L7GiNE8.png

Then when you are in PDN and want to save an image, it should look like this in the drop down:

9DBRitL.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I'll try to screenshot it: This is what mine looks like. I don't know if restarting Paint.NET means just closing and opening, because that is what I did.G0Npe72.png

EDIT: I just saw a post saying that the Megalo Effects pack is the problem.

o-o 

Edited by Blockrylin

I'm totally new to forums and I could not find anyone who had the same problem.  Right after the update to Paint.net 4.0.12 I was not able to open psd files.  An error message about problems with the files was displayed even on files I had opened previously.  I loaded the psd plugin in May.   So it was probably an old version.  

My problem was resolved when I downloaded the 2.5.0 version of the plugin.  Hope this helps someone else dealing with the problem. 

I too just downloaded the newest Paint.net 4.0.12 AND the latest psd plugin 2.5.0 . Now I can't save a freshly created file and it won't open any psd files that I've previously created and/or downloaded.  I did the "2 stage copy" as stated above and my "FileTypes" folder does have the PhotoShop.dll file in there along with only one other dll (IcoCur.dll).

The file opening error is this:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.12.6099.39434, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PhotoshopFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

The save error is this:

Preview file size (error)

Then after clicking ok I get this error:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.12.6099.39434, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PhotoshopFileType.OnSave(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 293
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.<>c__DisplayClass240_0.<DoSave>b__2() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2925
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Try(Action f) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 174

Hopefully these errors will pinpoint the problem.

17 hours ago, pn66 said:

Hopefully these errors will pinpoint the problem.

Those errors only appear if you have PSD Plugin 2.4.1 or earlier installed.  If it is showing up, then PSD Plugin 2.5.0 is not installed properly

People seem to be having trouble because upgrading requires that the old version be overwritten.  You don't have to do this on fresh installs, so this problem doesn't come up.

The best workaround is to first delete the old version:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Delete Photoshop.dll from C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes
  3. Start Paint.NET and make sure that it cannot open or save PSD files.
  4. Close Paint.NET.

Once this has been done, you can then do a fresh install of PSD Plugin 2.5.0:

1. Download a fresh copy of PSD Plugin 2.5.0 from: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1606282
  2. Right-click the ZIP file and select "Extract All ..."
  3. Make sure PhotoShop.dll has the timestamp: 9/11/2016 10:35 PM
  4. Copy PhotoShop.dll into C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes

Thank You taoyue......I did everything you said to do but still had the errors so I completely wiped out the program then re-installed a fresh download to a different drive and it all works great!!!

Thanks Again

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, taoyue said:

... Make sure PhotoShop.dll has the timestamp: 9/11/2016 10:35 PM

I think the timestamp depends on each user's time zone and date format preferences. On my PC it says: 12/09/16 ‏‎05:35

You're better off advising users to check the version number through the dll properties.

BTW, thank you, taoyue, for as great plugin that I use a lot.

Xkds4Lh.png

12 hours ago, Djisves said:

I think the timestamp depends on each user's time zone and date format preferences. On my PC it says: 12/09/16 ‏‎05:35

You're better off advising users to check the version number through the dll properties.

BTW, thank you, taoyue, for as great plugin that I use a lot.

The timestamp check is actually not just to verify the file version, but also to check for side effects.  As we saw above, third-party ZIP tools can have trouble with things that work correctly using the Windows built-in ZIP handler.

The built-in ZIP handler in Windows always extracts files with the time set to the local time zone.  No matter which time zone the user is in, the same times will be displayed in Windows Explorer.  I just tried with my system set to Cyprus time (Eastern European time zone), and it shows the correct time.

Aha! Well I always use WinRAR. Matter of habit I guess as I've been using it for ages and ages.

Apart from the difference in the date format and the adjustment for the time zone, I'm pleased to report NO side effects.

Xkds4Lh.png

When I tried to open .psd files this morning, I got an error message, the same one that can be found here:

After I downloaded, and unzipped the new plugin files, Windows defender alerted me that it found Malware/Trojan whatever. I immediately quarantined and removed the issue, then deleted the plugin zip files.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? I really need to be able to open my photoshop files in paintnet.

23 hours ago, DigiScraps said:

After I downloaded, and unzipped the new plugin files, Windows defender alerted me that it found Malware/Trojan whatever. I immediately quarantined and removed the issue, then deleted the plugin zip files.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? I really need to be able to open my photoshop files in paintnet.

Windows Defender does not alert on PSDPlugin-2.5.0.zip.  VirusTotal also gives it a clean bill of health at 55 different malware scanners: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/309c44f2ceec555b0efddda81679a54a0bb89fccc38b784cc4c8609e87e4327e/analysis/

The problem may be caused by a browser add-on.  I would suggest using a different web browser to download the plugin.  Windows 10 Edge would be a good choice because it has very few add-ons available.  However, any web browser will do except the one that you normally use.  Make sure to copy-paste the direct link to the download: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1606282

If you continue to have this problem even with a different web browser, please do NOT delete the file.  Submit the file to VirusTotal for analysis, and post the URL here.