How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue

I have a problem I hope you can help me with first I am using the new version 2.1.0 and when I try to open a psd file it gives me an error saying not enough memory also when I try to open a different one it says unexpected error can you please help me with this problem?

Thank you.

... it gives me an error saying not enough memory

It's not lying to you. You don't have enough memory.

also when I try to open a different one it says unexpected error can you please help me with this problem?

It sounds like the file is corrupted. Can you upload it to an image host and post the link here?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I've been working with paint.net and it's awesome, but the thing is that when I try to load a PSD file, it's very slow to load up, and when I try to save it, it gives me an error message saying there's an unspecified error while saving. I don't know if it's too big for my computer or something. But I can't shrink it to reduce it's largeness because it's a template for an arcade stick. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Al Capwn

Hi guys, I've been working with paint.net and it's awesome, but the thing is that when I try to load a PSD file, it's very slow to load up, and when I try to save it, it gives me an error message saying there's an unspecified error while saving. I don't know if it's too big for my computer or something. But I can't shrink it to reduce it's largeness because it's a template for an arcade stick. Thanks in advance!

Never mind fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please, PLEASE support the Editable Text plugin! Make it at least an option: the user could choose whether to import rasterized text, or import text editable using that plugin.

It is certainly hacky, but I think it is still better than having all PSD text rasterized. And whose who think different would still have the choice to choose to import rasterized text.

It's happening again. I have this file I'm making arcade stick art on this PSD. http://www.tek-innov...t⊂=templates the Hori Soul Calibur 5 one. I used some gradient, some 2d akuma sprites, and that's all. It's 8.2 MB so i don't know if that's interfering.

No issue here. It loads and saves fast enough. The content is not relevant. The plugin just loads the bitmaps of the layers.

midoras signature.gif

Please, PLEASE support the Editable Text plugin! Make it at least an option: the user could choose whether to import rasterized text, or import text editable using that plugin.

It is certainly hacky, but I think it is still better than having all PSD text rasterized. And whose who think different would still have the choice to choose to import rasterized text.

Could you explain how this 'Editable Text' plugin is connected to the psd filetype plugin? As far as I know the 'Editable Text' plugin uses a magic to store the text in the bitmap. I'm pretty sure that no filetype plugin will do this in the same way.

midoras signature.gif

Never mind fixed it.

It's happening again. I have this file I'm making arcade stick art on this PSD. http://www.tek-innov...t⊂=templates the Hori Soul Calibur 5 one. I used some gradient, some 2d akuma sprites, and that's all. It's 8.2 MB so i don't know if that's interfering.

I can't reproduce the problems. Since you say the problem is intermittent, I tried it ten times, and didn't run into either sluggishness or error messages on any of the ten runs.

Please make sure you're running the latest versions of Paint.NET (3.5.10) and the plugin (2.1.0). I've had users report weird errors that go away once they update to the latest versions. So it's always the first thing to check.

It's very difficult to diagnose intermittent errors. Does it fail every time, or just half the time? What's different between the times it fails, and the times it succeeds? etc. The more context, the better.

It's also difficult to assess "if it's too big for my computer or something" without knowing what your computer specs are. The file takes up about 450 MB of memory and loads in under 1 second on my machine, plus another 1-2 seconds for Paint.NET to render the image. This is unlikely to lead to performance problems, unless, say, you're running a netbook with a single-core Atom and 1 GB of RAM.

Edited by taoyue

The question of hooking into the editable text plugin has come up before:

I don't really see any developments in the past 20 months to change my thinking on this issue. It's still a hack -- a clever hack, to be sure, but nevertheless a hack.

If Paint.NET were to implement editable text layers natively at some point in the future, that would of course be a different matter. For one thing, I trust Rick to design a good API and think through the edge cases.

Ultimately, there are dozens of features in the PSD file format that are not implemented in the plugin. You could probably make a case for most of these features. The bright-line test of whether something is implemented natively in Paint.NET neatly defines the scope of the plugin.

• 3 months later...

Version 2.2 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released, and can be downloaded from: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Changes:

• Layer group visibility is now applied to all layers within the group. This greatly improves the visual fidelity of complex PSD files that have hidden layer groups.
  • Layer group names are prefixed so that users can get an indication of the layer group hierarchy. (Paint.NET has a flat list of layers, so the hierarchy is flattened out on load.)
  • The progress bar now reports status when saving PSD files, instead of showing an indeterminate rolling bar.
  • Performance improvement of 1.7x in RLE compression, and 1.2x in RLE decompression.
  • Better detection of insufficient-memory on 32-bit systems.

I would like to use the PhotoShop PSD plugin as a library -- I'd like to call it programmatically to convert a PSD layer to a JPG.

Has anyone done this? If so, could you point me to sample code?

(I could look at the Paint.NET code to see how it uses the plugin, but that code is no longer available).

Thanks,

Stephen

In order to do that you'd also have to include several Paint.NET DLLs in your project. That would be a violation of the Paint.NET license.

In other words: no.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

trying to open a psd file, I get the following error message : "Une erreur non spécifiée s'est produite lors de l'ouverture du fichier"

I just installe Paint.net and the plugin so I presume I have the latest versions.

The PSD file is : http://www.teehanlax.com/downloads/ipad-gui-psd-retina-display/

Paint.Net version :  v3.5.10 (Final Release build 3.510.4297.28964)

Plugin Version : 2.2.0.

I hope someone will be able to help me on this.

Rgds,

Yacine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Yacine,

Thank you for the bug report.

This particular file runs into three different issues:

1. The file has too many layers to load into Paint.NET.  Because Photoshop has partial layers and Paint.NET doesn't, files with lots of layers will blow up enormously in memory consumption when loaded into Paint.NET.  This particular file has 1279 layers, with pixel dimensions of 6200 x 3716.  At 4 bytes per pixel, it would require 118 GB of RAM to load into Paint.NET.

2. Layer index 472 contains both a user mask and a vector mask.  The PSD plugin does not properly handle this situation.  This is what's causing the "erreur non spécifiée."

3. The file has malformed layer groups.  The webpage hosting the file states that it was created in Photoshop CS6 beta -- which probably explains the bug.  I'm still using CS4, which produces a warning message: "Some groups were found corrupted and repaired."

I can fix problem 2 and ignore the error in problem 3, but you still won't be able to load the file unless you have more than 118 GB of RAM.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help you directly.  However, once I fix 2 and 3, at least they won't prevent other people from loading similar files -- that is, files with fewer layers.

post-70234-0-34883000-1356916788_thumb.p

• 4 weeks later...

Version 2.3 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Changes:

• Fixed load failure when two masks are present on a layer -- a raster mask and a vector mask.
    • If the vector mask is present in rasterized form, then it will also be applied to the image.
    • Unfortunately, complex Photoshop files often do not contain a rasterized form of the vector mask.
    • However, simpler files will now mask accurately when loaded into Paint.NET.
  • Fixed load failure for files with East Asian layer names, on a system set to an East-Asian codepage. This affects: Simplified Chinese (GB), Traditional Chinese (Big5), Japanese (Shift-JIS), and Korean.
  • Fixed bug that caused some 16- and 32-bit depth images to load in as flattened images, without layers.

In images that are converted from 8bit to 16bit in photoshop, the alphas are 16bit, but stored with RLE encoding. Is it possible to add RLE (read) support for 16bit channels?

edit: Indeed it seems that even images created as 16bit encode ImageData with RLE compression. It doesn't make a lot of sense for 16bit but hey that's what they did! Photoshop CS6 by the way.

Attached is a sample.

_STP00000_Splitty16.zip

Edited by GeorgeR

Hi George,

The PSD plugin can already read RLE-compressed alpha channels.  Compression is handled independently of bit-depth.

The problem is that there is no corresponding concept in a Paint.NET document.  What Photoshop refers to as "alpha channels" are actually used as masks, as selections, or to designate spot color.  They do not form part of any layer image, and are instead stored globally for the file.  Although they show up on the "Channels" palette along with RGB, they behave quite differently.

Paint.NET does not have saved masks, or saved selections, or spot color.  I suppose I could have the PSD plugin load the "alpha" channels into hidden layers, as grayscale images.  But then the question becomes -- what would you do with them?

You're welcome. :-)

However, I cannot claim to have created the plugin.  Frank Blumenberg created the plugin, and I've been maintaining it since 2010.  At this point, I'd estimate that I'm responsible for about 50-60% of the code in the PSD plugin.

(According to source control, 19.4% of the lines in the code have not been changed since 2010. Of the remaining 80.6%, subtract 20-30% for trivial changes such as renamed variables.)

Also, thanks are due to you, the users, for reporting bugs and suggesting features. There are a lot of other open-source PSD libraries floating around, but very few of them have this kind of engaged userbase. There are tens of thousands of users exercising the PSD Plugin code everyday, loading all sorts of files with it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

That's right.  The plugin allows you to Open and Save PSD files.  

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to copy into the DLL??  Or have we lost something in translation?

• 4 months later...

Version 2.4.0 of the Paint.NET PSD Plugin has been released: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Changes:

• Multichannel images can now be loaded, with each channel showing up as a separate grayscale layer.
  • More reliable loading of files with layer groups created in Photoshop CS5 and CS6.
  • Faster loading of PSD files.  Speed improvement of 1.1x to 1.5x on 8-bit images, and about 15% on 32-bit RGB images.
  • More efficient RLE compression, with file sizes reduced by about 4% on average.
  • The PsdFile class can now load and save most PSD files to be bit-for-bit identical with Photoshop, if the same Windows codepage is specified.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to ask if it is possible to turn a pdn file to a psd one. I've downloaded the plugin and I've seen someone mention that once you do that it should be accessible to both programs but I don't see how that would work seeing as it still has a pdn file extension. The last time i tried to open it (with a pdn extension) through photoshop it didn't work. Someone, please tell me if its possible?

With this plugin you save your file as a psd (i.e. with the *.psd extension). That makes it usable in PS and paint.net (it has to be reloaded and saved with the aid of this plugin).