simple heart using 3d shape plugin

oma

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

It is valentines day coming up and I've seen a few requests for some simple 3dshape tuts.

well this one is very easy BUT! you must already have the plugins installed as I will not be telling you how to do that.

This topic in the forum will advise you how to go about installing a plug in: Installing Plugins

You will need these two plugins: Shape3D and Mirror

The standard forum proceedure is if you have a problem getting a particular plugin to work, you post a message in the plugin thread. That way the author of the plugin has a chance to see your message and address any problems or fixes required to his plugin.

so

here I'll give you a quick little heart.

super simple heart shape.

start with any design of your own artwork on a 800 x 600 canvas. Fill the whole canvas not empty portions 😉 see that little thumb up the top right of the next picture that is what my canvas looked like when I started.

so from that I did

step 1

1.jpg

the first number at the top should be scaling around 59 so it all fits on the page.

do your first heart at these settings until you get the idea of it. the second number adjusts the width of the heart. etc.

the x,y,z dials the first two rotate your picture around to a pleasing spot. the third one is the angle you need to get a good heart shape.

use the mirror plugin next.

step 2

2.jpg

step 3 feather at default

step 4 and finished project.

3.png

this is the same way I did some of these hearts from the image in the galleria called she makes my heart sing.

and this one Miss va va la voom the fallen fairy is wearing it. :lol:

4.png

well yes the tut was just for the simple heart. the items I make are way more involved but they always start with the basic shape as in the tut. The more complex the background the more fiddling with settings, and those come by instinct not by a set formula.

but this tut should get the newbies started.

remember tomorrow is the 14th so its valentines day!

:wink:

ciao OMA

I had fun playing with different graphics to make the heart out of. I used a photo of a sunset at the beach and this is what the result was.

striped3dheart.jpg

I especially like the way this one turned out using a flower picture I had played around with earlier in Paint.Net.

colorflowerheart.gif

Thank you for sharing.

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, sure 'tis like a morn in spring.

In the lilt of Irish laughter you can hear the angels sing,

When Irish hearts are happy all the world seems bright and gay,

And When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, sure, they steal your heart away.

harpmsig.png

Another very cool tut Oma. Thank you.

I closed the open Quote tag in the original post for you :wink:

• 1 year later...

Would love to try this, but the mirror plugin link gives me the .ddl's for mirror/rotate. I noticed you have two different ones and the mirror rotate does not give you the options to select left half over right. Is there another link for that particular plug in?! Thanks!

Never mind...I think I just found the correct one at Evan's site!

Edited by PattiG

glad you found the spot. the links are from when we had old forum, I wrote this tut ages ago. I will have to dig around and edit tut post to reflect the links in this new forum.

PS I would love to see the heart you come up with. :) make sure you post it here or in your personal gallery.

ciao OMa

EDIT changed the link now you should be taken to the one for Mirror by Evan Olds.

Edited by oma