Questions about Indirect UI

tzachs

Hi, I'm trying to write a plugin, and I want to use the paint .net existing controls but I want them to be nested in my own ui container with some additional controls.

Is there any way to achieve that with indirect ui?

I noticed in ControlInfo.cs the methods:

public object CreateConcreteControl(object uiContainer);

public object CreateConcreteControl(Type uiContainerType);

These look promising, but since I don't see any documentation for them and since all of the plugin sources I looked at did not use these methods, I don't know if they fit my purpose, and I don't know how they are meant to be used. :(

Please help me,

thanks...

Hi, I'm trying to write a plugin, and I want to use the paint .net existing controls but I want them to be nested in my own ui container with some additional controls

Not without using tricks that'd probably get your plugin deleted from the forums.

However, if you just want to use IndirectUI controls, since you obviously have the source, you should be able to copy the controls you want from it, although resolving dependencies might be hard.

KaHuc.png

Nope, I don't have the source (not for the controls I want)...

I have the api for the indirect ui, in it I see that the effect has to override the OnCreateConfigUI method which returns a ControlInfo instance. In that ControlInfo I see the aforementioned methods that I hope were included in order to develop a more custom ui...

Ok, thanks anyways...

If I could just suggest adding an ability to do this in the future, so that we will be able to develop more complicated UIs for our plugins without having to do "tricks"...

You can still develop complicated UIs, you just can't do it by extending IndirectUI (IE you have to create those controls yourself).

Well, yes, that's exactly my problem. The controls are there, they are allowed to be used, but only if you use the 'simple' api.

It's like you have two options: either use our controls and nothing else, or write all of the controls yourself without using ours... it doesn't make too much sense to me...

Maybe i'm paranoid, but since Paint.NET isn't open source any more i'd check with Rick before distributing a plugin with the controls copied from Reflector.

KaHuc.png

Rick has endorsed this approach since Paint.NET's source closed.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!