The Matrix Effect (Long Tut)

colintso

i've been fiddling around with Paint.NET, then one day, i decided i wanted to make myself look cool, so i changed this:

matrixor.jpg into this matrix7.1.jpg

the guy u see there is me :)

Plugins:

Outline Object

Color Tint or Color Filter

Darken

Step 1:

Get a good photo thats cool.

matrixor2.jpg

*Note you might want to touchup the photo first by following this tutorial - How to Airbrush like a Professional (let's try this again)

Step 2:

Use the Magic Wand and/or Lasso Tool to select the person you want to have the effect to be focused on.

matrixselect.jpg

Step 3:

Crop the image along with yr selection (Ctrl+Shift+X)

matrixcrop.jpg

then use the feather tool withe the true feather option on to soften the edges (the default setting should be enough:

matrixfeather.jpg

Step 4:

Look for a picture with rain against a solid background, i used the top bit of this pic:

raining-792956.jpg

Paste it onto a new layer of your Paint.NET project

Step 5:

Apply the ink sketch effect on the rain layer on full ink outline and none on colouring

matrixrainink.jpg

then delete the white bits by using shift+magic wand on the white bit:

matrixraininked.jpg

Cool eh?

Step 6:

Apply the Ink Sketch effect on the person layer and remove the black/white background:

matrixpersonink.jpg

Step 7:

Invert the colours of the rain layer and apply the Colour Tint effect on the rain, i chose green. You can adjust the colour further by using the hue/saturation and brightness/contrast function:

matrixraingreen.jpg

Step 8:

Make a new layer and move it to the bottom. Fill it black. Then outline the person using the outline effect with white with 0 softness. Put the rain layer on overlay.

matrixblackback.jpg

Step 9 (long step):

To make your coat/clothes black, select the coat with the magic wand/lasso tool, copy it onto a new layer on top of the original and invert the colours (ctrl+shift+I)

matrixcoatinvert.jpg

Then use the darken effect in Adjustments

matrixcoatblack.jpg

then sharpen it twice on full:

matrixcoatsharpen.jpg

then outline it with a neon green

matrixcoatline.jpg

then you might wanna get rid of the bit of the outline where the coat and the head overlaps:

matrixcoatlined.jpg

Recolour the white outline into the green previously used on the coat on the person layer (i also readjusted the brightness of the green rain here):

matrixrecolour.jpg

Step 10 (almost Done!):

Duplicate the rain layer and put it on top of the black background layer on the normal setting and darken it using the brightness/contrast function:

matrixdone.jpg

And there you have it! Your very own MATRIX poster of yourself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...