How to Install Plugins ×

Sprite Animation Helper (v 1.0.1.3 updated April 30, 2022)

recursor

I have downloaded your latest plugin dll. Everything is working fine, except one error when pressing Save frames without entering the Target folder path. This cause paint.net to crashed and closed.

Please fix this issue by validating the target folder path on clicking Save Frames. I have also attached the crash log.

Thanks

Thanks for the report. I'll get that fixed in the next release.

I'm using it now! Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: one thing that I'd find useful is buttons next to "Offset" that increases the offset in X or Y by the current width or height of the cell. That is, if the cells are set to be 32x64, the "Next" button next to "Offset X" would increase the current X offset by 32 (and the "Next" button next to "Offset Y" would increase the current Y offset by 64).

I like that Idea. Look for it in the next release.

<snip - no need to quote the whole first post >

When i use this my image is always small. If i make it larger in the plugin it starts to show other images from other sprites around it. Please help me.

I'll look into it.

Hi recursor,

First of all, great plugin! I've been thinking of writing one like this for a while - you saved me the trouble :)

One feature request: it would be cool to control the "loop behaviour" as in:

Cycle: 0,1,2,0,1,2 (currently what you have)

PingPong: 0,1,2,1,0,1,2,1,0

Lots of sprite animations "ping-pong" back and forth through the sprite frames (at least in my own experience).

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Edited by daroou

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. Would it be possible to add a new feature to this plugin?

It would be very helpful if the plugin could show images of different layers as an animation. With this it would be much easer to find breaks in between the different stages during the creation process.

Despite that its a very useful little helper ;).

• 2 weeks later...

It would be very helpful if the plugin could show images of different layers as an animation. With this it would be much easer to find breaks in between the different stages during the creation process.

Plugins can only modify/interact with the current layer.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Huge thanks mate, this plugin has been darn helpful. Even created an account just to post my regards :)

A few requests, if I may:

Ability to drag the corner of the plugin inside the program. At a high zoom state (or with bigger images) the sprite just fills/skews with the current max plugin-windows size.

It would also be awesome if I could either choose the file type the frames save to, or that it would save in the same format as the source image. (or then just a drop down menu for png/bmp). This saves some hassle as I sometimes have to use .bmp, though mass-conversion is always an option! Also a "save to animated gif" as a third button, that would take in regard the zoom state, animation speed and bg color (defaulting to transparent.)

An addition also perhaps to the sequencing; PingPong was excellent, but perhaps, if it wouldn't be too hard, some kind of sequencer (0,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,4,2,1,2) for additional animation testing

Also I'd be happy to donate a few bucks via paypal, as I've been using your plugin a lot.

Anyhoo, thanks a lot once more for an awesome plugin!

I always just merge the layers before running the plugin!

• 4 weeks later...

@smk: For some reason I didn't get notified of your post so I only saw it yesterday. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I had a bit of time today and was able to implement a couple of your suggestions into v0.87. Saving as animated gifs would be cool so I'll look into that and see what I can do.

Version 0.88 now has support for saving animations as an animated gif. Animated gifs can be saved either using the current zoom level or using the actual size of the frame. Animated gifs can be set to either loop forever, or play once.

Edited by recursor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just uploaded version 0.89

Fixed an issue with animated gifs where if you used the zoom to size option you would get black bars on the right and bottom of your output.

• 2 months later...

@recursor:

I created a .net application for you. It's still in it's initial stage ( I spent 30 minutes on it )

What it does is creates a sprite sheet with 1 pixel width for rows and columns. You specify the width, height, # of columns, and number of rows and it creates a bitmap for you based on the results.

I'm not sure how to programtically create layers and a pdn file with multiple layers. If anyone knows post on on the project or if I need to add stuff, do that there.

https://spritesheetbuilder.codeplex.com/discussions/436464

• 7 months later...

can you guys add a transparent background as an option cause i try converting the ani to png and gif and well it gives black background for something that was originally transparent not the greatest of things to see when your doing a custom html and want only the cursor to show but the black background get in the way 

post-123894-0-40257900-1382022870.gif

• 1 month later...

If you only have one row then all you need to do is make sure that the # of columns specified is equal to or greater than the number of frames you have and you'll be ok. If however, your animation spans more than 1 row, then you can use the columns to indicate when the program should go to the next row.

Ex:

Let's say I have 7 frames in my animation, but I have 4 on the 1st row and 3 on the next row as shown below:

[1] [2] [3] [4]

[5] [6] [7]

In this case, you would set columns = 4 and the frames=7. When the program goes to get the 5th frame it knows that there are only 4 frames per row so it goes to the next row to get the 5th, 6th, and 7th frames.

Also, if you have a grid between each cell as shown in my video, then you will want to set the Border equal to the width of those pixels so that they will be skipped. If you have no borders on your frames then be sure to set Border=0.

If your animation moves left or right, then any of the following may be the culprit:

Your cell width/height (the size of each frame)

Your starting offset in the image

Your border size may be wrong

This may require another video to explain more clearly...

Im so late on this but ah,I cant find any help with how to actually make an animation.The video you put up isnt really a tutorial on how to use the program.It moreso just shows the options.I know what a frame is (or do i)but I ........Hmm,not sure how to put it in words.Let me start over.Id love to use what looks like an awesome plugin but theres just not enough info.Too many people on here just assume everyone knows this stuff.Whats a cell?Whats a column?Do you make 1 layer and thats a frame?Then on to the next layer?Whats a grid?How do you put one between each cell?  In your video it shows you open up an animation/picture that was already finished.Then you uploaded it to the animation helper and showed what it looked like but there is no real instruction to be found.A step by step video.Hope im not sounding rude.But ive just started messing around with using paint.net and wmm to make movies/animations with and im sure somehow this plugin could really be useful and I want to learn it.

• 1 month later...

I am so glad that you've added an option to save the animated gif. However, when I save an image with no background, it always adds a black background. Is there any way around this?

It's like Paint, but on steroids.

• 1 month later...

recursor, great plugin if I can get the background to be something other than black (agreeing with previous posts).  I tried the yellow background but still came out black.  The best would be transparent background by default.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Open Paint .NET and you'll find it under Effects->Animation->Animation Helper

Does it appear under that sub menu?

• 9 months later...

Is there a 64 bit version of this plugin. I installed the current version in my PDN effects folder but it does not show after starting PDN. There is no animation submenu under effects.

Added later, OOPS, I was too fast. I apologize. It shows as soon as I have an image open.

Edited by boudewijn

• 2 months later...

Hello there!

I just must say that you've done an awesome job with this plug-in recursor. I really love it!

This is easily one of the most used function that I have in Paint.net now and it's really paying off lately.

It saves me buckets of time on checking how fluid the animations are of my sprites for my first game project: Becky

4d51a53ac9.gif

A link for those interested in this little project:

http://jorichi.tumblr.com/post/120936611137/quite-a-while-ago-ive-drawn-becky-for-the-first

She has a ton of moves and the spritesheet is getting kind of out of control at this point. XD

And because of that I stumbled upon an error. When sampling an area for animation previewing beyond the 3000 pixel mark it gives me an error.

The error tells me it's limited to within these values.

I was wondering if this is intentional or if this will be fixed. It's something I can easily work around by moving the sprites around a bit anyways.

My main reason for asking this is if you're still planning on working on this plug-in in terms of expanding and/or updating it (since the last update was almost a year ago).

For example I was hoping to see a multiple layer sampling feature (if that's even possible) in the Animation Helper or an option that alligned a new row to be sampled on the same X Offset if the amount of collumns have been exceeded.

I can understand if you no longer want to/can work on this, it's already great as it is!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jorichi,

That is a nicely drawn and animated character. I'm Glad you find the plugin useful. I just updated the plugin to address the x and y offset value limits of 3000. Now they can be set up to 10,000.When I originally did the plugin, you could only get data from the currently selected layer, but that might have changed.

I am currently busy with some other stuff but I will make a note to look into it. A Multi-Layer sampling feature would be really neat.

PS Sorry I didn't see this until now. I somehow was not following my own topic!

Edited by recursor

Awesome! Thanks for the little update, it makes working on my sprite-sheet a whole lot easier ^.^

Also good luck with the other stuff you're working on!