DLL not found in a x86 system

guijarrelson

Hi,

I'm trying to install the Paint.NET v3.5.1 in the Windows XP SP3, and the installer feedback this:

System.DllNotFoundException: No se puede cargar el archivo DLL 'Native.x86\PaintDotNet.Native.x86.dll': El sistema no puede hallar el archivo especificado. (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80070002)
  en PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.x86.CpuID(UInt32* prgnCpuInfo, Int32 nCpuInfoLen, UInt32 nInfoType)
  en PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.CpuID(UInt32* prgnCpuInfo, Int32 nCpuInfoLen, UInt32 nInfoType) en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\PdnNativeMethods.cs:línea 88
  en PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Processor.GetProcessorFeatures() en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Processor.cs:línea 355
  en PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Processor.IsFeaturePresent(ProcessorFeature feature) en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Processor.cs:línea 416
  en PaintDotNet.Setup.InstallingPage.d__1f.MoveNext() en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SetupFrontEnd\InstallingPage.cs:línea 736
  en PaintDotNet.Threading.IterativeTask.IterativeTaskAnon.d__0.MoveNext() en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Threading\IterativeTask.cs:línea 36
  en PaintDotNet.Threading.IterativeTask`1.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0() en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Threading\IterativeTask`1.cs:línea 77

I tried to install v3.5 and the problem persist. Before this, I tried to do an update from v3.5 to v3.5.1, and it failed. Then, I uninstall all previous versions of Paint.NET, and I stared a clean install of v3.5.1 with no results.

Any idea?

This sounds a little like this: viewtopic.php?p=301565#p301565

Have you got the .NET framework installed? NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is highly recommended(its a free download from Microsoft).

I've try to uninstall the .NET and reinstall it, with no result. Is necessary maintain the older version of .NET? I have v1.1 and v2.0 too. NET Framework has retro-compatibility?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the previous versions are required

.NET Framework 3.5

Version 3.5 of the .NET Framework was released on 19 November 2007, but it is not included with Windows Server 2008. As with .NET Framework 3.0, version 3.5 uses the CLR of version 2.0. In addition, it installs .NET Framework 2.0 SP1, (installs .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 with 3.5 SP1) and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 (installs .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 with 3.5 SP1), which adds some methods and properties to the BCL classes in version 2.0 which are required for version 3.5 features such as Language Integrated Query (LINQ). These changes do not affect applications written for version 2.0, however.[22]

This doesn't look like a .NET issue. You should bring this to Rick's attention.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Run the disk cleanup utility (I forget where it is in XP). Make sure temporary files are set to be deleted. Hopefully that might knock out the %TEMP% directory. Mind you this just a hunch...

Also make sure you aren't triple-clicking the installer EXE. Try clicking it one time, then press Enter on the keyboard. If the installer launches twice, sometimes things don't go well.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I am sure that I execute one instance of the installer.

Every day, I passed the CCleaner clean up and registry, to get the system clean. I don't know what is happend, is like the installer didn't find a DLL that it must have build in for x86 system [ Native.x86\PaintDotNet.Native.x86.dll ]

What do you think? Any Windows XP user has the same problem?

PD: I launch the installer, and I went to %TEMP% path. I see the PdnSetup, and the Native.x86 folder. In it, I see the PaintDotNet.Native.x86.dll file. I think it could be a problem to the reference to this file [Not relative path for example?]

If I install the Paint.Net v3.36, it finished without errors. Then, if I try to update from the program, it find and download the new version 3.5.1, but the installer feedback the same error. What is changed between v3.36 and v3.5.x versions in the installer?

No idea of this?

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem. I can't get it to work and I've even re-installed the microsoft.net. Any ideas?

I'm on XP as well. All my troubles started when I tried to upgrade. Unfortunately I then tried to uninstall Paint.net and reinstall the new one ... and I don't have the working version. Where can I download v.3.36?

Here is my error:

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Native.x86\PaintDotNet.Native.x86.dll': The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.x86.CpuID(UInt32* prgnCpuInfo, Int32 nCpuInfoLen, UInt32 nInfoType)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.CpuID(UInt32* prgnCpuInfo, Int32 nCpuInfoLen, UInt32 nInfoType) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\PdnNativeMethods.cs:line 88

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Processor.GetProcessorFeatures() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Processor.cs:line 355

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Processor.IsFeaturePresent(ProcessorFeature feature) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Processor.cs:line 416

at PaintDotNet.Setup.InstallingPage.d__1f.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SetupFrontEnd\InstallingPage.cs:line 890

at PaintDotNet.Threading.IterativeTask.IterativeTaskAnon.d__0.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Threading\IterativeTask.cs:line 36

Same problem here, and like the others it started when I tried to update.

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Native.x86\PaintDotNet.Native.x86.dll': The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.x86.CpuID(UInt32* prgnCpuInfo, Int32 nCpuInfoLen, UInt32 nInfoType)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnNativeMethods.CpuID(UInt32* prgnCpuInfo, Int32 nCpuInfoLen, UInt32 nInfoType) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\PdnNativeMethods.cs:line 88

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Processor.GetProcessorFeatures() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Processor.cs:line 355

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Processor.IsFeaturePresent(ProcessorFeature feature) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SystemLayer\Processor.cs:line 416

at PaintDotNet.Setup.InstallingPage.d__1f.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\SetupFrontEnd\InstallingPage.cs:line 890

at PaintDotNet.Threading.IterativeTask.IterativeTaskAnon.d__0.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Threading\IterativeTask.cs:line 36

at PaintDotNet.Threading.IterativeTask`1.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Threading\IterativeTask`1.cs:line 77

Another thing worth trying is to install the latest Visual C++ 2008 SP1 runtimes. The one available from the Microsoft download center is not actually the latest version. You'll need version 9.0.30729.4148. Paint.NET does install it, but apparently things don't always work the way they're supposed to.

If you are on 64-bit (x64), install both. Otherwise just install the 32-bit (x86) version. These files are digitally signed by Microsoft -- they are not something that I packaged up, I've only made them available for download here for troubleshooting purposes. Each file is about 5MB.

Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Runtimes, version 9.0.30729.4148

x86: http://www.getpaint.net/files/vcredist/ ... st_x86.exe

x64: http://www.getpaint.net/files/vcredist/ ... st_x64.exe

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg