How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

59 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sounds like a misconfiguration of your Google Chrome. Try any other browser, and see if the issue persists.

After much running around, resetting my chrome settings, clearing my history, uninstalling paint.net, reinstalling paint.net, I have come across the nugget that is being a thorn in my side. Sadly, it's the plugin installer that comes with BoltBait's plugin packs. Windows Defender hates it for some reason. I have no idea why as my knowledge about what is bashing its head against the wall on computers is not even a scrap of existence, but I just went ahead and downloaded the .zip file. And that worked. So, everything is back to operating standard.

Shoutouts for BoltBait and toe_head2001. Thank you for helping me. I appreciate the advice and assistance on this matter. 😊

1 minute ago, TerranDesigns said:

After much running around, resetting my chrome settings, clearing my history, uninstalling paint.net, reinstalling paint.net, I have come across the nugget that is being a thorn in my side. Sadly, it's the plugin installer that comes with BoltBait's plugin packs. Windows Defender hates it for some reason. I have no idea why as my knowledge about what is bashing its head against the wall on computers is not even a scrap of existence, but I just went ahead and downloaded the .zip file. And that worked. So, everything is back to operating standard.

Shoutouts for BoltBait and toe_head2001. Thank you for helping me. I appreciate the advice and assistance on this matter. 😊

And I just found that little tidbit of juicy knowledge concerning admin permissions for the plugin installer on the thread for BoltBait's plugin pack. Sorry for all the trouble. I should have read further down. 😅 Geez, this blonde moment is lasting longer than it should today.

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, mackenzieh said:

I will try downloading it from the plugin index again and see if it comes up.

The plugin index will take you to the first page that shows the old version as 4.3 has not been released. You need this version

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/110458-the-plugin-browser-v1310-april-28-2020/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-585131

which you will find at the end of the thread. Version 1.3.9.2 is what you are looking for.

• Like 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 5:05 AM, AndrewDavid said:

The plugin index will take you to the first page that shows the old version as 4.3 has not been released. You need this version

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/110458-the-plugin-browser-v1310-april-28-2020/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-585131

which you will find at the end of the thread. Version 1.3.9.2 is what you are looking for.

version 1.4 doesn't work and I have the test version of 1.3

Edited by mackenzieh

@mackenzieh Hello again

If you have Paint.net 4.3 installed, Plugin Browser 1.4 should work.

image.png.6688fc96389adeed143abee6cd4999e9.png

If not - something else is wrong. From other threads you reported your system identified your downloads as unsafe. Never have I encountered any "unsafe" downloads from this site. I use Windows defender only for anti-virus protection. Your system or browser is giving you false information that may require modification or removal.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

The warning message is coming from the Microsoft Edge browser.  Feel free to ignore the warning and/or report the false positive to Microsoft.

I also tried downloading the plugin browser zip file from firefox, and it did absolutely nothing. Firefox and Edge block your zipped plugin. I even ran the link through virustotal.com and it was flagged as malicious by 1 vendor.

Edited by mackenzieh

virustotal.com has flagged it as malicious by 1 vendor from 92 false positive

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen  is blocking the download . (false positive , i report the false positive 5x to Microsoft)

Switch Microsoft Defender SmartScreen off and you can  downloading the plugins .

49 minutes ago, Rle said:

virustotal.com has flagged it as malicious by 1 vendor from 92 false positive

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen  is blocking the download . (false positive , i report the false positive 5x to Microsoft)

Switch Microsoft Defender SmartScreen off and you can  downloading the plugins .

I don't think it's a false positive, but I can still use version 1.3 it tells me to update. 

@mackenzieh I think it's time you switched antivirus providers. Yours is giving you all sorts of false errors, and you're littering the forum with its incorrect reports.

Just stick with the built-in Windows Defender. Everything else is garbage.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

50 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

@mackenzieh I think it's time you switched antivirus providers. Yours is giving you all sorts of false errors, and you're littering the forum with its incorrect reports.

Just stick with the built-in Windows Defender. Everything else is garbage.

I have windows defender and I use it but in my case, the links attached to the files don't produce the downloads in question. What I get are pages that say the download is unsafe. I will try copying the link to windows defender and see what comes up. 

5 minutes ago, mackenzieh said:

the links attached to the files don't produce the downloads in question. What I get are pages that say the download is unsafe

As I said earlier, just ignore the false positive that Microsoft Edge is displaying.

image.png

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 2 weeks later...

I am attempting to install a plugin (Brush Factory).  I am running the paid version of Paint.NET 4.3.2. and Windows 10.   I was able to download the plugin and unzip the folder named Brush Factory Master).  None of the instructions for installing match what I see on my computer.  I had to get user access to the Paint.NET folder, but within that there is no Effects folder and if I try to just copy/paste the Brush Factory folder, I get an error that I don't have permission to change the folder

Capture1.JPG

Hello @akorna and welcome to the forum :)

Please read these instructions for the store bought version, about where the folders go.

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

12 minutes ago, akorna said:

None of the instructions for installing match what I see on my computer.

Please follow the official instructions here:

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

Thankyou for the feedback.  I created the folders, and copied the uncompressed download to the appropriate folder.  Uncompressed (unzipped) the Brush Master is a folder consisting of 83 files in 9 folders, not a single .dll - it looks like this below.  Restarting Paint.net does not result in the Effect being added, nor are any errors shown.  What am I doing wrong?

Capture1.JPG

24 minutes ago, akorna said:

Uncompressed (unzipped) the Brush Master is a folder consisting of 83 files in 9 folders, not a single .dll

You downloaded the Source Code. Go back and make sure to download the correct thing.

bp-sig.png

Ok Thanks - I would love to - but I am unable to find a link or location to download the Brush Factory dll - lots of dialog and conversation about it, but no actual spot that says download the plugin, I downloaded what I could find.  can you point me to a link?

Here is the topic for Brush Factory:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/110673-brush-factory-v203-aug-15th-2021/

The download link is at the bottom of the first post.

bp-sig.png

2 hours ago, akorna said:

without the secret handshake

Welcome to the secret club :)

If you are trying to find plugins, try using the Plugin Index. The documentation that @toe_head2001 linked to is another great resource for information.