How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

HI 

I've created a folder in Documents called "paint.net App Files" then a set of sub-folders including one called Effects.

Without un-zipping the files I copied the downloaded files into the Effects folder.

Is that not correct?

1 minute ago, Gnome said:

Without un-zipping the files I copied the downloaded files into the Effects folder.

Is that not correct?

That is not correct. The files in the Effect folder should be .DLL files; not .ZIP files.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Yes, the downloaded .zip is a single file as you know, but Win10 displays all of the individual files in the folder, with a DLL file extension.  These I copied into the previously mentioned folder.

Hi @Gnome Do you have the Store Bought version, or the Classic?

If store:  https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

If Classic go to: This PC . OS(C:) . Program Files > paint.net > Effects and then add the .dlls manually.

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 minute ago, Gnome said:

How does paint.net know where to look?

If you put the .dlls in the correct place  .................. paint.net knows where they are - but make sure you don't have Paint.net open when you put them in the folder. Afterwards open Paint net anew :)  Good Luck 🧐

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I looked but could not find any direct answer to my question: here goes.

It seems you must install any effect into the Effects sub-directory (well, except G'Mic). Is there a way, or might there be a way to install effects into separate sub-directories, under Effects and have PDN recurse thru those sub-directories when loading? (I am thinking about organising effects either by Author or by type or alphabetically). I see this is done in the Shapes sub-directory.

Best regards

27 minutes ago, Panchdara said:

Hi. I looked but could not find any direct answer to my question: here goes.

It seems you must install any effect into the Effects sub-directory (well, except G'Mic). Is there a way, or might there be a way to install effects into separate sub-directories, under Effects and have PDN recurse thru those sub-directories when loading? (I am thinking about organising effects either by Author or by type or alphabetically). I see this is done in the Shapes sub-directory.

Best regards

Nope, sorry, this is not possible.

As an explanation, I can just say the code to plugins was written YEARS before the code to load shapes... so it doesn't have all the features of the newer code.  Rick may get around to adding that capability eventually, but don't hold your breath waiting--there are MANY more interesting features ahead of it on the list.

2 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Nope, sorry, this is not possible.

As an explanation, I can just say the code to plugins was written YEARS before the code to load shapes... so it doesn't have all the features of the newer code.

Thank you very much for your excellent explanation. I can appreciate the evolution.

Best regards

• 1 month later...

I tried downloading Bolt Baits plugin pack but when I click on the link to BoltBaits pack I get on a non-secure page and Windows keeps blocking the plugin from being run. I have tried right from the Plugin Index with the same results. Is there a bug on the site?

1 hour ago, Frigga777 said:

I tried downloading Bolt Baits plugin pack but when I click on the link to BoltBaits pack I get on a non-secure page and Windows keeps blocking the plugin from being run. I have tried right from the Plugin Index with the same results. Is there a bug on the site?

If you want my plugin pack, go here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/113220-boltbaits-plugin-pack-for-pdn-v4210-and-beyond-updated-february-23-2020/

and click the big blue button.

Save the zip file to your desktop. Right-click on the zip file and choose "properties", check the "unblock" checkbox and click ok.

Right-click on the zip file and "Extract" all files to your desktop.  Finally, run the BoltBaitPackInstall50.exe program.  That should get you started.

If your computer attempts to prevent you from doing any of this, just know that it is being over protective and just click the option to "do it anyway" whatever that may be on your system.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I really need help.  Everytime I download a new plugin I get this weird error code, "0x80004005" and something about an "unexpected error" stopping me from using new plugins.  I've only been able to download a few plugins but I can't download anymore.  For example. I tried the "TubeOblique" plugin and I got the same error.  Then I tried downloading a font to Paint.net, same error.  If an Administrator could please guide me through this I'd greatly appreciate it, Thanks.

-From, Paint.net user, Noah.

Error Message: https://gyazo.com/1f01a3eb748c7ee3772a03fc18c56eea

Edited by GreatestRedefined

2 hours ago, GreatestRedefined said:

That is not an error related to Paint.NET.

You'll need to talk to Microsoft support for Windows 8.1 issues.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed latest Paint.net 4.2.13 and lost all my plugins.

When I go to Plugin Errors, it says no errors encountered.

They're still in the folder, but not loaded.

FileTypes: WebP, TinyPNG, OptimizedJpeg, not loaded <<<< these are what bothers me the most.

Effects: Vandermotten, not loaded

Edited by Rick Steinwand

Hi Pixey,

Free version.

I'm updating my plugins to the latest version, just in case that helps.

Edited by Rick Steinwand

It's very unusual to lose one's plugins upon an update. 

Can you make sure that your effects folder is in the correct place.  i.e.

This PC > OS(C:) > Program Files > paint.net   -  you should see Effects File and FileTypes in here. Take a look in those to see if you have the missing Plugins.

30b8T8B.gif

First time I've lost them. Updated via our in-house Software Center (locked down pc's).

I guess I'll ask our network admin to manually upgrade me. If that doesn't work, maybe rollback to the previous version.

image.png.c56f0e37b7e028df5d8f5727de35665d.pngimage.png.e974f112ce3a4b920e01ed0bdb2d4665.png

@Pixey I think what happened was our Software Center incorrectly upgraded to the 32 bit version, which would have used "Program Files (x86)", which would have had no existing plugin folders.

The manual install of .13 defaulted to the x86 folder, but after we changed that and installed to the proper folder ("Program Files"), we were good.

Thanks for your help!

27 minutes ago, Rick Steinwand said:

The manual install of .13 defaulted to the x86 folder, but after we changed that and installed to the proper folder ("Program Files"), we were good.

Thanks for your help!

You are welcome :)  Glad you got it working again 👍

30b8T8B.gif

• 7 months later...

Hi.

So, the downloading part is the problem I'm having at the moment. I got the program through the website instead of going through the MS Store. And, I've been slowly going back through the plugins to get the ones I had before that blasted hurricane killed my AIO about four years ago via a power surge. And, I downloaded the plugin installer for one plugin pack but now I can't even download anything else. I'll click on the link for the packs, the .zip files, and the individual .dll files, it will promptly open a second tab on my chrome browser like it's downloading something, but nothing shows up in my download folder on my laptop. I have McAfee as my current antivirus, only because it came preinstalled. Any advice?

1 minute ago, TerranDesigns said:

I have McAfee as my current antivirus, only because it came preinstalled. Any advice?

Dump McAfee. See if that fixes your problems. 

Don’t worry about virus protection, Defender comes with Windows. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Dump McAfee. See if that fixes your problems. 

Don’t worry about virus protection, Defender comes with Windows. 

Okay. Just dumped McAfee. Restarted the laptop as instructed. And, I'm still having the same problem. Should I uninstall and reinstall everything again?