How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

I'm glad this is shedding some light for others, too.

I am using PDN v 4.0.5:

Even though there are many .cs files in the YELLOW FOLDER named "RESOURCES" located inside of the YELLOW FOLDER named "EFFECTS"----and .cs files inside of my "EFFECTS" yellow folder, I'm going to delete all of the .cs files ONLY inside of my "EFFECTS" yellow folder since one of the people here said it is ok to (and based on his posts, obvious knowledge, and ranking)

Thank you, Toe.

Now that you've mentioned it:

I'm using PDN 4.0.5 (the latest version)

Inside my yellow file folder named, "EFFECTS" are files that are named after some .dll files, yet those files do not visibly show a .dll after them, only a number like "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" or "6". Sometimes my PLUNGIN ERROR function within PDN has stated the actual .dll file needs to go, so, I have deleted it with files still left in there of the same name but NOT ending in .dll, instead, ending in one of the numbers stated above. Sometimes I may just have a corresponding file matching the name of a .dll file but just one, in a few others they run sequential. I have left those alone and not deleted them. Until I know what the deal is with "those guys" I'm treating them as if they are none of my business and leaving them alone.

Sometimes "plugins" have not only a txt file (usually read me, and many say "go see another website URL for download instructions.") and reading more on this forum, I guess do so is to save "space", per se? on the text file, so, that's understandable, but if that, in itself, is an issue, why not just completely leave out ALL readme.txt files? It probably is annoying to the person who wrote the plugin and, basically, more useful to be LEFT OUT of the plugin download....or another solution could be to have it say "Go to URL whatever", but that URL should mention EVERY FILE TYPE in there and EXACTLY where it goes, not ONLY where a .dll file goes because .dll files are not always the ONLY file in it, which is fine.

In fact, why not have a standard way future plugins are announced. A protocol. It can still be simple, yet structured.

Something like: Section I (section one) would state what it is and does. Section II would have how many files are in there. Section III would have the EXACT name of every file extension, even if it's a .txt file, and what yellow file folders EACH file extension goes into.

Some people get confused when other file extensions like .pdb files, .cs files, and .pdf files are combined with them so when a non techie/non programmer reads a generic "copy and paste everything into  the yellow effects folder", well, we do.

If the generic instructions say, "copy and paste the .dll file into the yellow effects folder", well, we do but when we see another file in there that doesn't have a .dll file extention, some of us go, "Uuuuuuh....gee, that's not a .dll file...Hmmmmm.....now what???.....do I paste that thing in with the .dll files???.....gosh, I don't know......uuummm, let me see if that same other different file extension is maybe in another location. Oh, I see one of those guys in that other file folder, maybe it goes in there, instead." Why? Because many of us don't know what we are doing, but we notice stuff. We look around in those file folders. Some of us do and some of us just don't wanna know. So, we copy and paste EVERYTHING into the yellow EFFECTS folder, to include .pdf files.

I can only imagine for some, if not all, programmers, to have to take the time to write something on a level for what must feel like a Teletubby has to understand is likely excruciatingly painful, time after time after time (or at all), realistically speculating.

I looked around for an explanation of the .cs and .pdb files and couldn't find any. I did a search for .cs files and a search for .pdb files. Nothing came up so I posted this.

Edited by ScrapbookWithPDN

Inside my yellow file folder named, "EFFECTS" are files that are named after some .dll files, yet those files do not visibly show a .dll after them, only a number like "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" or "6".

Where did you get these from?

Have you seen this: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28270-megalo-virus/ ?

Hello Oldsmeller, the answer to your problem has been given many times: DO NOT USE NORTON! unfortunally Norton does consider paint.net dll's as unsafe and removes them. If you download your dlls from the forum they are virus free. Do not download dlls from anywhere else! as they could be infected.

DO NOT USE NORTON! unfortunally Norton does consider paint.net dll's as unsafe and removes them.

QFT

If you download your dlls from the forum they are virus free.

There is no guarantee of this. You should always check them yourself after downloading and prior to installation.

• 2 months later...

I have recently installed Paint.NET 4.0.9 and i have installed a plugin pack from this website and when i put it into the effect folder, and open up Paint.NET and i click on the effects tab, no new effects show up. Please help!

Did unzip the pack then copy into the effects folder?

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Cookie07,

No, It is not possible to create a categorie or move a plugin from one category to another (unless you are a coder). Most plugins are placed in a category depending on the task they perform.

Edited by Eli

Hello, can I move all installed Plugins into one category? Every new plugin opens its own category and it starts to get confusing.

Once you get used to it the sub-menus become quite useful for finding plugins. If you had them all in one long menu you would be forever scrolling up and down to find stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm new to paint.net and I wanted to try out the BoltBait plugin pack but I can't get it to work... I followed the steps, installed it in the right folder Paint.net > Effects and unblocked all the DLL files. I can see the plugins listed in my Effets in the program but when I try to use them I get the following plugin error:

Bestand: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\ObjectTools.dll

Naam: ObjectTools.OutlineObjectEffectPlugin
Versie: 4.2.5691.26485
Auteur: Copyright © 2015 BoltBait
Auteursrecht: Modify pixels along the edges of objects
Volledige foutmelding: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.IndirectUI.WindowHelpContentType' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.1.5306.43142, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at ObjectTools.OutlineObjectEffectPlugin.OnCustomizeConfigUIWindowProperties(PropertyCollection props)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.PropertyBasedEffect.CreateConfigDialog() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\PropertyBasedEffect.cs:line 85
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 910

I've been trying to find a solution on this forum but this is my first time and I didn't really know what to do so I rather ask than mess it up big time.

Hi!

I'm new to paint.net and I wanted to try out the BoltBait plugin pack but I can't get it to work... I followed the steps, installed it in the right folder Paint.net > Effects and unblocked all the DLL files. I can see the plugins listed in my Effets in the program but when I try to use them I get the following plugin error:

Bestand: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\ObjectTools.dll

Naam: ObjectTools.OutlineObjectEffectPlugin

Versie: 4.2.5691.26485

Auteur: Copyright © 2015 BoltBait

Auteursrecht: Modify pixels along the edges of objects

Volledige foutmelding: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.IndirectUI.WindowHelpContentType' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.1.5306.43142, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

at ObjectTools.OutlineObjectEffectPlugin.OnCustomizeConfigUIWindowProperties(PropertyCollection props)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.PropertyBasedEffect.CreateConfigDialog() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\PropertyBasedEffect.cs:line 85

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 910

I've been trying to find a solution on this forum but this is my first time and I didn't really know what to do so I rather ask than mess it up big time.

You are using an old version of Paint.NET and the plugin requires a newer version, click the :Settings: icon and select Updates –> Check Now.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 4 months later...

Hey everybody, I'm new to the Paint.net community & the software.

I actually stumbled upon the software while I was searching the web for a tool to "smooth edges". It seems "feather" would solve those issues. However, after downloading & opening the zip file, I quickly noticed that "feather" & "feather object" were not listed with the other dll's. Being new to all of this, I thought that they might be "tucked away" somewhere & would show up after installing the files. Although, when viewing the guide "How to Install Paint.NET Plugins", I see that "feather" is listed under "color balance" & above "flip". Nonetheless, after installing the pack, it seems all of the other effects are installed (including "feather object") but I still can't find "feather" anywhere.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Can I download "feather" by itself somewhere? I searched the "plugin" index but when I click "feather plugin"... it just takes me back to the "BoltBaitPack43" download page.

You've got ObjectFeather.dll which shows up as Feather. OldFeather.dll which shows up as Old Feather. ObjectTools.dll which contains Feather Object. All of them are found under Effects/Objects, and all of them are written 

by BoltBait. I prefer to use the first one, the one I recommended to you or AA's Assistant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, recently I installed the latest edition of the browser plug in in the latest update of paint.net on my PC with Windows 7 (with the latest system updates and graphics card), the problem I have is that when I click on a plugin it is not reflected in the preview window. I already repaired the installation of paint.net. What could be the problem?. Appreciate your help.

Hello alfredo55,
Many older plugins do not have sample images built in - so cannot show a 'preview' image.
Does the plugin browser show sample images for my plugins or TechnoRobbo's ? (I know these all have sample images).
If it does then the plugin browser is working as expected.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 9/1/2006 at 1:29 PM, entY8 said:

One little mistake :lol: :wink:

Hello all,

I read that the fonts should be put in the "filetypes in the paint.NET folder, but I thought they belonged in the c/windows/fonts folder.  I want to be sure although I think it is the latter where they belong.  Could you confirm this for me please?  Thank you all you are very helpful.

(Please ignore my sig, I made it years ago when I first started using PDN and haven't changed it lol)

On 9/1/2006 at 1:29 PM, entY8 said:
  RaveN said:
[...]

Find Program files, and find Paint.NET, and find effects, place the .dll file in there, if it is a font, find filetypes in the paint.NET folder

Edited by lylcoup

WatRuLknAt?

Fonts do not belong in the /filetypes/ folder. You're right about C:/windows/fonts/

Tip: Double click on the font file and you'll get a preview window that has a handy Install button in the toolbar

fontinstall.png