How to Install Plugins ×

HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread

RaveN

I'm not saying that this is at all difficult for the end user, because it shouldn't be, but maybe some of the confusion lies in the fact that the folder in which the "Plugins" go is called "Effects". To make this as simple as possible, for those people who are just that, you could rename the "Effects" folder to "Plugins" in future PdN versions.

Thus keeping the common sense line of Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro etc. etc.

Mans a bloody genious I tell you :!:

CjW

Edit by Rick: Sorry, no flashy animations in avatars or signatures.

i figured out how to install plugins about 30 seconds before i found this thread and i did NOT find the process at all intuitive.

(and no, none of the plugins i downloaded had a readme file)

i also searched help and this forum so for people who were in my position about 5 minutes ago here are some keywords to search for:

"add plugin" "install plugin" "add plug-in" "install plug-in"

"add plugins" "install plugins" "add plug-ins" "install plug-ins"

Good Day

UPDATE DOWNLOADED AGAIN AND INSTALLED IN C DRIVE/PROGRAM FILES AND EVERYTHING WORKED SO READING ALL THOSE POSTS HELPED AND I NO LONGER FEEL LIKE A TOTAL DUMB < no swearing >.

I am a ham radio operator and wish to use to program for photo manip and effects.

computer is e-machine, 3.2 w/2gig mem

using drive D

Installed under D, not program files

Had no effects folder so had to make new folder under Paint.net

This is what I have done.

Installed paint.net into FOLDER NAMED "PAINT. NET"

Under this folder I made a folder called "EFFECTS"

In this folder I placed the DLL's

This is what I expected.

The program to open normally. (It did.)

The new effects to show up under effects. (They did not.)

These are the questions I have come up with.

Was there supposed to be an 'Effects' folder without me making one?

Is there something that I need to do different?

Is there a method of auto installing that works better.

I am wondering if the DLL's need to be in the base folder.

I now have some neat effect DLL's downloaded and open in a folder called 'EFFECTS' that so far I have not been able to access, or even find within the base program.

I think that I am asking for the old "Guiding Hands' from someone who has been there and done that.

Please post or e-mile direct at

k8fa.art@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for any help.

Art Puckett

i did NOT find the process at all intuitive.

Nobody claimed it was intuitive.

haha, the infamous "by design" comeback ;)

i assumed that plugin management would be intuitive because everything else so far has been fairly intuitive.

as they say though, assumption is the mother of all ...up's

then again, you guys raised the bar so don't be surprised when people hold you to high standards :)

Not by design. More like completely undesigned. Plugin popularity took Rick by surprise; he's planning plugin management for version 4.0.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

1. Which plugin?

2. Are you sure you have the newest version of Paint.NET (v3.20, not Alpha, Beta, or RC)?

3. Are you sure you have the newest version of the plugin?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Yep. You have to have version 3.20 to get tech support in this forum. :-)

Wow, it actually works! Thank you, Sir!

By the way, are there any tutorials or newbie guides to Paint.NET?

It would be very useful... :(

Take a look in the Tutorials section of the forum. Wither's flash tutorial for beginners is sticky'd there. Read that one, and as many of the others as interest you. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
I am confused how to instal fonts. I want to install them from http://www.dafont.com i think its the wrong format. Can you tell me how to install them? :):)

The title of this thread specifically says "(not fonts)" so why are you asking here?

You want this one: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3393

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 3 weeks later...

okay, im new to paint.net. ive got a lot of things down, pretty much figured a lot of things out, except the plugins. ive followed your instructions exactly. ive saved the files to the effects folder, extracted the files, but when i go to paint to use those plugins, they aren't there. what am i doing wrong?

okay, im new to paint.net. ive got a lot of things down, pretty much figured a lot of things out, except the plugins. ive followed your instructions exactly. ive saved the files to the effects folder, extracted the files, but when i go to paint to use those plugins, they aren't there. what am i doing wrong?

What plugin are you trying to install?

Did you "unblock" the DLL files?

Give us a screenshot of your C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects folder.

What plugin are you trying to install?

Did you "unblock" the DLL files?

Give us a screenshot of your C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects folder.

Ive tried different plugins. and i have no idea how to unblock or show screenshots of my folders. im not very techno-savvy.

• 3 weeks later...
I get the .ZIP files...

But I'm really having a hard time understanding how to work those .dll ones. :(

Unzip the zip files and put the dlls inside in C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects

KaHuc.png