Glossy Web 2.0 Style Text

CyberSpace

3. :AddNewLayer: Make a new layer.

:MagicWandTool: Using the magic wand in global mode, click on your text to get it selected.

:EllipseTool: :ShapeInterior: Using the ellipse tool (use filled shape mode), draw a white highlight on the top of your text.

:Properties: Double click on your layer to open layer properties, then change the opacity to 45 (or whatever you prefer)

4. Temporarily make your background layer invisible (so you can see how thick the outline is).

Go to Effects>Outline Object. Outline your text in white. I chose a radius of 7 and strength of 5.

:DuplicateLayer: Now, duplicate the text layer.

:Curves: Go to Adjustments>Curves. Make sure you have selected the bottom duplicate layer. With R,G, and B checked, and in RGB mode, drag the point to the bottom right of the box. Your text should now be black (the text will get black around the edges).

:GaussianBlur: Now, go to Effects>Blurs>Gaussian Blur and blur by 10px (or whatever you prefer). Your image should look something like this:

Relative newbie to Paint.net, so hope someone can help me - apologies if I'm being really stupid too. I can manage fine with this tut up the first point above.

Following the tutorial to the letter, it says to create a new layer, and then use the magic wand in global mode to select the text. When I do this, it selects the whole layer rather than just the text. Should I reselect the text layer before doing this? (presumably by highlighting that layer in the layers box).

Presumably the next stage of drawing the ellipse should be on the new layer I created?

When I try step 4, even if selecting the text via reselecting layers above, I use the outline tool, but get no result - it just remains with the thin black outline of the magic wand selection.

Hope someone can help me...as its sending me round the bend not being able to do something which should no doubt be so simple. Hopefully I'm just selecting the wrong layers at the wrong time or something, so if someone could even highlight the layers I should be selecting for each task, that should hopefully help....

Know this forum isn't for questions, but thought better asking here, just in case anyone else is having the same issues....(no doubt will just be me!)

Thanks guys.... :D

Yes, step 3 would've been better served by saying:

• use magic wand in global mode on text layer
    create new layer
    draw ellipse in filled shape mode
    go to layer properties

since it's presently asking you to create a new layer, then go back to the text layer and selecting the text, then back to the new layer

and yes, this is the correct forum to ask questions, when the question deals with a specific tutorial, ask it in the tutorial's thread.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ohhh goody, my first post. hehe.

here's my result.

7f3s0.png

um... for some reason... the step where to change it's color with Brightness/Contrast or using ColorBalance... i used balance color while on the "text" plate, and then when trying to gradient it from bottom to top, it wouldn't come out for me... and instead i gradient from bottom to top in the "text gradient" plate instead. hence, the different colors on mine and i think it's because i played with the color balance of it.

oh well, i had loads of fun, and glad that i can now mess with text and do something different instead of the same old thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Bah, looks like the links to download the plugins from the original post are dead. CyberSpace (or anyone else with the original files), would you be so kind as to re-upload the files and fix the links? This looks like a great plugin and I'd love to check it out. Thanks!

Bah, looks like the links to download the plugins from the original post are dead. CyberSpace (or anyone else with the original files), would you be so kind as to re-upload the files and fix the links? This looks like a great plugin and I'd love to check it out. Thanks!

You can find all the necessary plugins by searching or in the plugin index

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

In the interests of not having the above conversation repeated ad nauseum, I've updated the links to the plugins in the first post. boltbait.smile.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The gradient in this tutorial is used to blend the two layers together seamlessly. In that respect, this tutorial might be worth reading as it explains the same process (in that case blending two images, but the concept is the same): http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/19517-beginner-image-merging-image-heavy/