Suggestion: Effects Folder Launch in Utilities

I noticed how there is a new Utilities tab in the toolbar that lets you open up the Fonts folder so you can easily install fonts so you can use them on Paint.NET. It's a great feature, but I think the same should be done with the Paint.NET effects folder. It would make installing effects to Paint.NET so much easier and it might cause a reduction of people asking how to install effects...

What do you guys think? :|

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

I support this suggestion.

But, what I really want is an easy, "built-in to Paint.NET" way to install plugins. Something like, this:

PluginSearch.png

and an equally easy way to remove plugins.

A bonus would be an easy way to move them around to the submenus that you want.

I believe this is already the plan... It can't happen until Paint.NET supports hot-swapping effect plugins, however.

Yeah, the problem is, whenever you work in that directory you want Paint.NET to be closed. So, to have the program open that window without closing itself would just lead to confusion.

I would really like to see a better system (see my edited post above).

I second BoltBait’s suggestion. A build in plugin manager would be a great help.

I have put a shortcut to the PDN effects folder in my quick launch tray. So now I can open PDN, and easily open the folder while I browse my effects menu. This dose help when finding, and removing, plugins I don’t use. I just have to remember to restart PDN when i have removed a dll.

But may I ask the plugin writers:

Please do not put all your plugins in the same dll.

Please give your dll’s meaningful names. Preferably the same as the plugin has in the effects menu.

And, if you rename your dll. Write the name of the old dll in the update history of tread, so it is possible to se what dll’s ought to be removed.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

But may I ask the plugin writers:

Please do not put all your plugins in the same dll.

Please give your dll’s meaningful names. Preferably the same as the plugin has in the effects menu.

And, if you rename your dll. Write the name of the old dll in the update history of tread, so it is possible to se what dll’s ought to be removed.

I guess that's a good idea. Honestly most of the plug-ins I have I don't use so there's a lot of effects not needed. When I select Render or Distort there is a huge list of effects I don't need...

@BoltBait: Now that is a great idea.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

This is similar to a question I asked a few months ago regarding effects management. d.a assured me that Rick was thinking about that, and I am under the impression it might be useful in v4.0 or later.

BB, that's an excellent screenshot of a potential effect management system. Right now, I'm sorting through my effects and removing the least used effects to another folder so I don't have to scroll through so many effects to get to the one I'm needing.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

So many unused plug ins taking up so much space is not good .

Shift them to a sub folder if they are not being used?