Pixel art tutorials - New plant tutorial!

Onemorelevel

I know you have heard pixel art is time consuming, and isn't worth it, but it is completely worth it.

As mentioned by yellowman, when doing pixel art, you want to have the :Grid: on, for better results.

More Pixel art talk

Pixel art resources and tutorials:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23132

http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/tutorials.asp?id=2252

http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/tutorials.asp?id=2253

What is pixel art?

Hmm how to explain...

Pixel art is working at art at a small scale, the rules are simple:

You can only use the pencil tool, sometimes the fill bucket tool, but only for big pieces.

NO EFFECTS. This means no blurring, no line tool, no feathering, Nothing but the pencil tool.

An example of pixel art:

Generally you want your pixel art to look 3d, but it all depends on your style.

Block Tutorial

*Click*

http://pcs-onemorelevel.deviantart.com/ ... -138802780

Plant Tutorial

Pixel_art___Plant_tutorial_by_PCS_OneMoreLevel.png

"Being calm can work wonders"

Signature-1.png

Uhhh..

2. Please post a finished tutorial. Don't say "I'll finish later" or "I'll add screenshots when I have time." Unfinished tutorials will be locked immediately.

Pixel Art is not always Isometric. Isometric is the most popular form of pixel art, but pixel is art is also making sprites for games (the old games), etc. It's just using pixels to create art. :)

wormhole2.png

Using Paint.net for 5 months.

Pixel Art is not always Isometric. Isometric is the most popular form of pixel art, but pixel is art is also making sprites for games (the old games), etc. It's just using pixels to create art. :)

Exactly, thats why I said it depends on your style.

I added A new plant tutorial! The result is a bit small, but good for some pieces.

Signature-1.png

When your making pixel art with paint.net, do you use the line tool? because it's hard to make isometric lines..

and the nubs can get annoying. help?

wormhole2.png

No, that plant one I did find, but it was in spanish, didnt give good detail, from what I could understand. I plan on making a tutorial on dithering by myself though.

The block ones DO look similar, but I found that one right after I made my own.

Signature-1.png

waffle, with pixel art, you HAVE to use the :PencilTool: tool, no line tools. You can use the fill bucket once in awhile though.

But.. i've always used the line tool (in mspaint) and almost everyone told me to...

oh well. at least not using the line tool IS easier.

wormhole2.png

waffle, with pixel art, you HAVE to use the :PencilTool: tool, no line tools. You can use the fill bucket once in awhile though.

That's ridiculous. You can use the line tool, the square tool, the circle tool, etc.

Take this thing from pixeljoint for example:

pxcomp.png

For the base of the statue, do you really think he pressed he mouse button like 100 times so he could draw a line? For the buildings, do you really think he pressed his mouse button 1000 times?

That's ridiculous. You can use the line tool, the square tool, the circle tool, etc.

pxcomp.png

For the base of the statue, do you really think he pressed he mouse button like 100 times so he could draw a line? For the buildings, do you really think he pressed his mouse button 1000 times?

http://www.foolstown.com/pix/isowip.gif

Or this. O.O

pxcomp.png

hmm. thats true.

btw, OneMoreLevel when did you start with pixel art?

wormhole2.png

pxcomp.png

Also, On page one of the pixel art gallery, boltbait states the rules of pixel art.

Signature-1.png

Yes, but I think that was because that post was mainly for posting small sprites (about 32x32 and put together in a image or something like that)... or something that you don't need a line tool for.

imagine drawing a line across a paper. Would you use hundreds of dots just to draw it? or would you use a line?

wormhole2.png

Yes, but I think that was because that post was mainly for posting small sprites (about 32x32 and put together in a image or something like that)... or something that you don't need a line tool for.

imagine drawing a line across a paper. Would you use hundreds of dots just to draw it? or would you use a line?

Do you use dots EVER on a piece of paper? (Btw you can drag the pencil tool with arrow keys for horizontal/vertical lines)