Grunge Text Tutorial

flip

rhfjdjejdth.png

--

Plugins you will need are:

Displacement Map

Displacement

The first thing you have to do is make a displacement map. This needs to be a random grunge-y texture.

Make sure it is around the same size as the text you want to be grunge-o-fied.

It also should be a png file. If you've seen my planet tutorial, it should look like the main texture. Here's

a short way to do it:

PART 1 - DISPLACEMENT MAP

Hidden Content:
1. Render clouds at a pretty high roughness. When I did this, I used these colors. You should too. Then use the displacement plugin. NOT displacement map. Do it at random settings, and in the end you should have this:

rhfjdjejddp.png

2. :AddNewLayer: Make a new layer and change your colors to black and white. Render clouds again and a smaller roughness, but it should still be pretty rough. Do displacement again at different settings, but make sure it looks something like this:

rhfjdjejdtf.png

3. Set the black + white layer blend mode to OVERLAY. Duplicate the layer. Now you should have something like this:

rhfjdjejdit.png

FLATTEN THIS IMAGE AND SAVE IT AS A PNG. REMEMBER WHERE YOU SAVED IT.

PART 2 - TEXT

Hidden Content:
1. Make a new project. This will be your text. After you make it, make a new layer. Make some text that look something like this:

rhfjdjejdrt.png

Try to use a mixture of sizes, boldness, and capital/lowercase letters. The more the mix the better.

2. On your text layer, go to Effects > Distort > Displacement Map. For the file, open your grunge texture. Make the angle 0.00 and adjust the displacement slider to the right of the angle circle thing. After that do the same thing but make the angle 90.00.

rhfjdjejdrs.png

3. Duplicate the layer and blur it at 1 pixel. Then you are done!

rhfjdjejdaa.png

XJ14

• 2 months later...