[SOTW Discussion] Talk inside...

Sozo

@MadJik, sorry I seemed to be picking on you. I just think in choosing SOTW themes you should go for broader categories. It shouldn't be like OOFN, with everyone completing to see who can render the best frolicking panda cub. I believe the themes should allow the entrants to go a bunch of different directions. I certainly don't want to vote against someone who produces excellent images, because he or she chooses poor themes.

EDIT: I didn't think the panda theme was terrible or anything. One problem, though, is that adorable as they may be, pandas all pretty much look alike and don't really have a broad range of activities. A similar theme like "dogs" provides more variety, because there are all types, sizes, and colors of dogs, and they do a lot of different things, from pulling sleds, to curling up at one's feet, to going for one's throat. I admit there have been occasions when a theme I thought was quite lackluster attracted scads of entries, or a theme I thought was terrific attracted hardly any. One cause of the latter may be a lack of free time at certain times of year. For instance, lots of people vacation in August, and may not be available to create SOTW entries.

@MJW Ok I hear you. But it's the comp #172.

My choices have also been guided to find something new that has never happened before. New, wider themes will become scarce.

For these last two comp, I made myself in trouble to create relevant entries. I had to figure out how to draw a realistic snail shell (from a vanished tuto how to make a seashell). I also look at how to make panda fur. Pure white and pure white are not suitable.
As I work with large images (5000px) the file of my first version of the panda takes almost 100Mb!
It was a real challenge both time!

@welshblue 

https://www.zoobeauval.com/pandas/

(in french...)

Yes Lille is a good place to live (like many others). Thank you.

EDIT: Find the tuto, I'm rehosting my images (> 10 years ago).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gee sorta like "old" home week, here in the land of the PDN.

Speaking of old, I'm certain I'm old but in PDN years I'm  only about 2  ROLF1.gif.f4a168e6637807bb5743f512bffd0014.gif Does  that count......never mind

• Upvote 1

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Just to say we are evacuating today and have no clue what power shortages will be like.  Hopefully things may be back to somewhat normal by next Saturday when I'm due to do the SOTW poll!  We are off with our bare necessities + the cat :|.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Just to say we are evacuating today and have no clue what power shortages will be like.  Hopefully things may be back to somewhat normal by next Saturday when I'm due to do the SOTW poll!  We are off with our bare necessities + the cat :|

Stay safe!  We will be thinking about you!    <3

Thanks for your thoughts guys :)  Thank you @nitenurse79 - that's very kind.  I will PM you thel inks for the saved images so far ....... just in case I'm without power next Saturday.  Very hard to tell what it will be like.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

:D Many thanks @DrewDale and @welshblue

For the Americans on here ... nappies are Pampers ;).  Wind is now picking up so I may need to go to the store for some :blank:.  Oh dear ..... no shops open now.  But, still have power - Yeah!

30b8T8B.gif

Hiya - We are back in our condo and only minimal damage (floors higher up - not so lucky) we were allowed back on the key yesterday and we have power.  I will be able to continue my hosting duties on Saturday :D.  Thank you @nitenurse79 for your offer of help.

Soooooo much catching up on tutorials, comps, etc., on PDN =O

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Hiya - We are back in our condo and only minimal damage (floors higher up - not so lucky) we were allowed back on the key yesterday and we have power

Glad to hear you make it through Irma safely!   :)

14 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hiya - We are back in our condo and only minimal damage (floors higher up - not so lucky) we were allowed back on the key yesterday and we have power.  I will be able to continue my hosting duties on Saturday :D.  Thank you @nitenurse79 for your offer of help.

Soooooo much catching up on tutorials, comps, etc., on PDN =O

Thank goodness! *HUG!

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

I sorely regret I didn't submit an entry to the Night-time SOTW contest. Once again, done in by my poor time-management skills. I really liked the theme. It's pretty much exactly what I think a SOTW theme should be: clearly defined, but allowing a wide range of interpretations.

• Like 2

It can't be 100% as TGMagnitude doesn't work with white canvas. So the question should be where is the limit?

If I start with a texture generator, then TGM then a lot of distortions effect, in the end the TGM will be unsignificant.

This brinks another related question: if I work with a canvas 5000x2000, the final result at 500x200 will also not really match with the effect used at this final size...

12 hours ago, Maximilian said:

One question concerning the current contest. Does the signature have to be a 100% TGMagnitude thing, or could it be part TGMagnitude alongside other techniques?

I would say that only TGM be used on an initial texture/image.  But, things like blend modes, curves,etc., would be alright.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

About this week's TGM competition folks ~ Please will those of you who have posted more than three entries, please resist posting anymore.  I will accept all that have been entered for this week, but I think more than three - in the future - will be disallowed.  As you can imagine if everyone posted 4, 5, or 6 it would be massive job to upload them all for the Poll. 

Thanks for your understanding

smileys-kuschel-394144.gif       Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif