Splintered avatars/sigs tut

yy10

Hello! I'm yy10.

Today, we'll be making a splintered avatar like these:

luigi2.jpgmario-2.pngdonk.pngwaluigi.pngwario.jpgfierefox.pngolimaravy.jpg

This technique also works for a sig, and this is pretty easy. But you will need the Splinter plug-in.

So let's start.

1. :AddNewLayer: we will start with a new image. with 98x98 pixels.

2. Let's add in a render. a good place to get renders from is Planet Renders. So I used this render.

normal_ragnarok-fsniper.png

Now we copy the render and paste it on the canvas. You should put the main aprt(or the head) in the middle of the canvas as to see it more clearly. This is what I did:

tutscreen.png

Now, let's remove that black background. We use the Magic Wand tool. :MagicWandTool:. We now select the black area, and we press delete on our keyboard. If it doesn't only select the background and the image also, we will set the tolerance lower. So now we get this.

tutscreen.png :arrow: tutscreen-1.png

3. Now add a new layer. :AddNewLayer: . Move it down the layer with the render. :Down:

tutscreen-2.png

On that layer, we will add a Mandelbrot Fractal. Effects>Render>Mandelbrot Fractal. Use these settings.

tutscreen-4.png

:DuplicateLayer: Duplicate the layer. Go to Layers>Flip Horizontal. :Horiz:

Make that layer Multiply by clicking F4.

tutscreen-5.png

Merge that layer down. You should only have 2 layers now. :MergeDown:

Go to Adjustments>Black and White. :BlackAndWhite:

tutscreen-6.png

Now, go to Effects>Blur>Splinter. Use these settings.

tutscreen-7.png

4. Go to the layer with the render and turn that layer's blending mode to Overlay by clicking on F4.

:DuplicateLayer: Duplicate that layer.

5. Add another layer. :AddNewLayer: Make a Effects>Render>Mandelbrot Fractal, with these settings.

tutscreen-8.png

Make this layer Black and White (Adjustments>Black and White)

tutscreen-6.png

Do an Effects>Blur>Splinter. Use these settings.

tutscreen-7.png

Make this layer Overlay by clicking on F4. It should now look like this.

tutscreen-9.png

6. Now you will see that some places are left white and that's a bit weird. So we add a new layer. :AddNewLayer:

tutscreen-10.png

Now we use the Paint brush tool :PaintBrushTool: , set the brush width to something about 15, and we brush the places with black that are weird with white.

tutscreen-11.png

Now we Effects>Blur>Gaussian Blur it. Set it to something of about 48. :GaussianBlur:

tutscreen-12.png.

7. Now, let's flatten the image. (Layers>Flatten) :Flatten:

8. Let's add a border. I used DarkShock's AWESOME 6-Pixel Overlay Pattern Border. Instructions for that can be found here.

tutscreen-13.png

9. :AddNewLayer: Add another layer. Let's use the Paint Bucket tool now. :PaintBucketTool: We will set the fill to Narrow Horizontal.

tutscreen-14.png

Now fill the canvas up with it.

We will make this layer Overlay by clicking on F4. Let's make the transparency way low, like this.

tutscreen-15.png

10. Now we are almost done! Just the last step left. Let's Flatten this image first. We will be adding some colour. Now, I'm deciding to make this avatar red. So I used Adjustments>Curves and did this.

tutscreen-16.png

Tips

Adding the top splinter's direction(setp 5) depends on how your render looks like. For example, if it's this render:

http://www.ugo.com/games/super-smash-bros-characters/images/luigi.jpg

We will make the Mandelbrot Fractal start from the right.(The dark part is on the right).

If it is a render like this:

http://www.bingegamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/phoenixwright.jpg

we will make the Mandelbrot Fractal start from the left. (The dark part is on the left)

Now we are done! Enjoy your avatar!

tutscreen-17.png

deviantART

sigs n stuff

First outcome :lol::) ...

maybe rate it?

:arrow: tutavva.png

the tut is really good and really easy to follow :D outcomes is allso good.. i did a little twist with my result.. but i followed the tut the most of the time.. no holes i got to fill my self in the tut :D!!!

ill say the tut is 9.5/10 outcomes is 6/10

Working on a new signature

I need Inspiration

PM me if you are danish

:D!

thats an good avatar, Sh0x. but a bit too dark. and the border's huge. But the coluor is awesome!

do you like this?

masterchiefavy.png

DevilArtist.png

thank you darkshock!

Thank you yy10(Avatar

Um, do you know what renders are for? If you right click the image you copied and "Save Image As..." a png, it will take out the black for you. Anti-aliased and everything. :?

Anyway, nice tut.

Um, do you know what renders are for? If you right click the image you copied and "Save Image As..." a png, it will take out the black for you. Anti-aliased and everything. :?

Anyway, nice tut.

¨.¨ didnt really know that xD thx flip

Eeeh YY10, freemason havent posted an outcome?

I need Inspiration

PM me if you are danish

Yeah, They do... kinda. :lol: I'm gonna start and work on mine now, you should really make that smudge tut and the C4D tut.

EDIT: Finished popavater.png

:D Not a bad tut.

.:Latest:.

Ubercolour.png

"Maltese by colour, Catholic by heart, Paint.net by mind."

Axle, that simpsons one is too contrasted. You should add some white bits then probably gaussian blur it a bit. And Nemo, thanks. :P

Just a notice, this ain't the full tut. Some times you have to add some custom brushes. If the a part is too contrasted, you should probably flip the splinter layers horizontally or vertically. I know none of you will understand what I'm saying, I'm not good at explaining things. :mrgreen:

deviantART

sigs n stuff

Arrhg YY10 i hate u!!! uve started an ignoring trend!!! the splintered avatar trend!!! xD just kidden but congratz that u made one :D

I need Inspiration

PM me if you are danish

awesome tut!

Here's what i got:

coolthing.png

I like it so far.

wormhole2.png

Using Paint.net for 5 months.

• 2 weeks later...
awesome tut!

Here's what i got:

coolthing.png

I like it so far.

That looks pretty good. Hey, anyone like my images? I made these in June.

-lwMIG64Yi00erggkXKzRg18137

nZf3Z3Uuqs1ovJWOl7RXAQ18338

Lucas_Signature_by_walrusworldstudios.png