Contrast = -25

8. :AddNewLayer: New Layer

Fill with White

Blend mode = Overlay

9. :Flatten: Flatten

Done! - at least for now ^^

Forming the Shape I:

Hidden Content:
If you don't want the egg to be broken, simply run Shape 3D at following settings:

Now, if you want to have something written on the egg, you should skip reading here and go on reading in "Forming the Shape II". Else "Forming the Shape II" is redundant.

If you want it to be broken, use the :LassoTool: lasso tool, select some random top part of the egg (just zig-zag it from left to right, and then move the cursor so that all the top part is selected, as in the next screenshot), hit "Ctrl. + X", make a new layer, and there, hit "Ctrl. + V".

Name the bottom layer "Bottom", and the other one "Top".

Then, go to the bottom layer, use Shape 3D with the settings as shown above, except for Axis 1. Change it to 15° (just so you see the hole better).

On the upper layer, run Shape 3D as shown above, but change following settings:

Axis 1 = 345°

Axis 3 = 180°

Done!

Forming the Shape II:

Hidden Content:
Now, :DuplicateLayer: duplicate the layer. Add whatever you want to be written to one of the layers. Name that layer "Font" or something that indicates it's the one with the writing.

If you want the egg to be whole, simply merge the two layers and run Shape3D with the settings from my XML and you're done.

If you want the egg to be broken, use the :LassoTool: lasso tool, select some random top part of the egg (just zig-zag it from left to right, and then move the cursor so that all the top part is selected. It's most useful when the crack runs through the writing. It's shown in the next screenshot.), hit "Ctrl. + X", :AddNewLayer: make a new layer, and there, hit "Ctrl. + V". Name the top Layer "TopFont", the layer below "BottomFont.

Now, use the :MagicWandTool: Magic wand, set Tolerance to 50% or less, and click on the transparent area on the topmost layer, "TopFont". Then, go to the layer that has no writing (should be the bottom one), hit "Ctrl. + X", :AddNewLayer: make a new layer, and hit "Ctrl. V". Name this latest layer "BottomWhite" or sth. like that, and the bottom layer "TopWhite".

Now, move the layers so, that they are listes that way from top to bottom:

• [*:2cad0lew]TopFont
    [*:2cad0lew]TopWhite
    [*:2cad0lew]BottomFont
    [*:2cad0lew]BottomWhite.

On BottomWhite, run the settings as shown above, only change Axis 1 to 15°.

On BottomFont, run Shape3D as shown above, only change Axis 1 to 15° and change the Texture Map to Half Cylinder Map.

On TopWhite, run Shape3D as shown above, only change Axis 1 to 345° and Axis 3 to 180° (texture: Half Cylinder Map (Repeat)).

On TopFont, run Shape3D as shown above, only change Axis 1 to 345° and the Texture Map to Half Cylinder Map.

Merge the layers TopFont and TopWhite, and merge the layers BottomFont and Bottom White. Or just flatten the whole image (it's not a photograph ;) )

Done!

Done!

Here's what I have done before making this tutorial:

Egg.zip

My attempt. I adjusted the axis and the lighting color. I really liked this tutorial. One of the few I have been able to finish on the first attempt.

Thanks for posting!

CRACKEDEGG.jpg

Thanks!

I really appreciate that people - or right now, it's just you - improvise, change some stuff, adjust it, and don't just follow the tutorial blindly.

thanks!

looks... interesting. The text doesn't seem to be part of the egg, though :(

You don't have a broken egg, so... did you merge the text layer with the texture before running Shape3D? I think not, but if you have, ... then it's just the colors.

No , I don't think so :lol: I think I made the egg shape first then added the text .. Hey I showed them to a few people and they loved it so it's all cool either way .

No , I don't think so :lol: I think I made the egg shape first then added the text .. Hey I showed them to a few people and they loved it so it's all cool either way .

Well, it's all a matter of taste, isn't it, after all? ^^

@ rtargo: Thanks. Your egg looks by far better than mine. Yours is ... :o

Just to let you know that I'm tearing-out my hair on this one. When I get it right I'll be posting my end result - which may take till next year :cry:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I continue to agonise over this tut! I think I get into trouble with the magic wand. And where did that teeny egg appear from in the middle? Must be the alien touch :wink:

egg1.jpg

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

My first post and try at an egg. I made a chocobo egg! Urgh, couldn't figure what to use for the background.

31370_13525d71bc8e9a1cc49b988f6d19b532

I continue to agonise over this tut! I think I get into trouble with the magic wand. And where did that teeny egg appear from in the middle? Must be the alien touch :wink:

Tell me, where exactly does the egg stop being like the like my given screenshots? Very clearly, it's a rendering problem. When you apply those values in Shape3D, you must make sure EVERYTHING is like in the image. And you know what? I'm gonna upload the egg XML for Shape3D in a zip-file. I dare hope I won't have to integrate a MiniTut on how to use XML files for Shape3D, but that you will figure it out yourself.

If anyone fails to load the XML however, I will gladly share this knowledge :wink: :lol:

By the way: despite your egg lacking lighting, it looks pretty interesting. I daresay amazing :)

@zephyros: nice chocobo egg !

Thanks Arik-so for your reply and I'll continue to work on this. I've printed out all of your instructions, as well as the XML with the settings, which I think I know off-by-heart now. My problem, I think, is doing everything in the correct order. I got confused with the instructions in Shape 1 (I did the Shape 3D right away) and in which order to do them. Like, it took me a day to realise that I didn't have to make the egg first, before trying to do the zig-zag. Obviously I've now worked-out that I do the zig-zag, on a full screen, before then turning it into the egg via the XML. :mrgreen:

Sorry, but don't worry, I will keep trying and at least I'm really learning how to use the Shape3D by going over this so many times. I promise to post back when I GET IT. :mrgreen:

30b8T8B.gif

My first post and try at an egg. I made a chocobo egg! Urgh, couldn't figure what to use for the background.

Man, your talented! I hope you get a gallery I seen your sword its da bomb! Keep up the good work, I couldn't make that good of a sword with almost a year of experience in PDN and your EGG is awesome too! BTW: This is a pretty cool tut, Have to try it some time.

The post above probably has crappy art.. Just look past that

:D

@nanettealsop: I think you maybe just miss the part where it says, "Now skip to Part 2". But I'm not sure. Maybe you could upload the image of the PDN history window.

PS: I've uploaded the XML now.

Thanks so much Arik-so for your help! I'm nearly there now - just takes a bit of time as I'm a Senior C. and not much used to this stuff. :lol: Good fun though.

30b8T8B.gif