Glass Boxes/Windows | New + Better Pictures

flip

Tut requested by Skitzo and sam567. If it's considered too easy you can lock it, mods/admins. :oops:

Also, sorry about the bad-ish quality. (All the images are .GIFs, after I read the rules it said I couldn't use PNGs :( )

So, in the end you'll be making this:

rhfjdjejdr.png

1. Get/make the image you want the glass block to be over. It shouldn't be too dark, or else the shadow won't show. I chose this flower.

rhfjdjejdaz.png

2. Make a new layer and call it "shadow." Then, select the :ShapeInterior: tool, and make the color white WITH A TRANSPARENCY OF < 100. Well, at least not on opaque. Anyway, draw a rectangle. This will be the size of your glass block. For the image below, the transparency level is 124.

rhfjdjejdob.png

3. Duplicate layer "shadow." Call the top layer "glass."

Here's how the layers should look now:

rhfjdjejdf.png

4. On the "shadow" layer, fill the rectangle into pure black. Now, the glass rectangle should look grey like this:

rhfjdjejdmm.png

5. Use the :GaussianBlur: effect on the shadow layer at any value. The value will be how big you shadow is.

rhfjdjejdws.png

6. Go to the "glass" layer and select the :MagicWandTool: tool. Select the box, and then go into the "shadow" layer while the box is still selected and press delete. This should make you end up with this:

rhfjdjejdu.png

NOW. You could just end it here, it looks fine and dandy if you do, but you can add another effect.

7. Select the box in the "glass" layer again with the magic wand tool, then go to the background layer while the box is still selected, and blur it. Now it should look like this:

rhfjdjejdr.png

...And you're done! You can also add other effects to the part of the background that is under the glass. You can make it black and white, change the color with Hue/Saturation... you name it. But, I don't want to kill the creativity here so... you're on your own now. :) Post some of your creations. :D

XJ14

Stop double posting, man!

Anyway, no. The cyan looks cool, but it looks the same shade as the shadow. Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget a step.

ahh finally flip took your time writing this :P been waiting for this tut since the very first pic you made using this... anyway something i threw together quickly -

glasssig.png

Citylife.png

ahh finally flip took your time writing this :P been waiting for this tut since the very first pic you made using this... anyway something i threw together quickly -

glasssig.png

niiice!

You know what? The instructions were CLEAR, but I tried them and it totally just messed my picture up. Arggg, I don't see how this is easy. At all.

Edit: And somehow everyone else seems to get it right... I'm just following the instructions perfectly, step by step!

You know what? The instructions were CLEAR, but I tried them and it totally just messed my picture up. Arggg, I don't see how this is easy. At all.

Edit: And somehow everyone else seems to get it right... I'm just following the instructions perfectly, step by step!

listen, i don't know how your getting it wrong ,

but to get this: :ShapeBoth: you need to click on :RectangleTool:. Then at the top, at the left side of the toolbar theres going be a :ShapeOutline:, click it and then click on :ShapeBoth:. Thaats how you get the shapeoutline thing, then click "more" on the color wheel, set the color as white, and the transperacy between 80 and 110, maybe 97 for best results. then draw the rectangle or whatever shpe you want on your picture. and remember, at certain times when your following the tut. you ned to have your little glass rectangle selected, just click :MagicWandTool: , but there are going to be times when you dont need anything selected, so follow the tut. more carefully, and keep reading over. Eventually youll get this. have fun and good luck!

Very nice tutorial , the only problem I had was with number 5. I could not get the shadow :(

Well ok,

5.)Select the magic wand :MagicWandTool: , and then click on the glass rectangle, if nothings happening go on to step 5A

If the rectangle is selected, go on step 5B.

5A.) If the rectangle isnt selected, go on each other layers and try to selected the rectangle with the magic wand, when the rectangle is selected, go to "shadow" layer.

5B.)Ok, now you've got the rectangle selected, now go to "shadow" layer, then go to EFFECTS>BLURS>GAUSSIAN BLUR :GaussianBlur: , now set the amount between 10 and 19. But Flip picked 14, so 14 would be best.Then click ok. the sides of the grey rectangle should , well. just look at the picture on step number 5. On Flips tut. :wink:

hope that helps? anymore questions?

Here was my try at it.

Original:

rain_on_leaves_backlit_01.jpg

W/O blurred background:

glassonleaves.jpg

With blurred background:

glassonleavesblurred.jpg

Nice tutorial. Simple, yes, but not something I would have thought of otherwise. Very clear instructions, as well. Good job.

sig1.jpg

Well you know my problem may be with filling it black , now do I use the paint bucket tool ? Because when I do that it turned the box black and glass gray then it would not let me shadow it , or do I need to invert the black ? I tried both and the second would just make give me a lighter shade of gray .. :oops: I'm going try again , maybe it's the background picture I'm using ??

i think i see your problem, its ment to turn gray because of the transparent white over the top of it that lightens the colour, next you MUST DESELECT the black then run Gaussian blur to create your shadow, go back to the white layer and select inside the white keeping your selection you then go to the black / grey layer and press delete this should leave u with white glass and shadow

tell me if this helped :)

Citylife.png

Well I did figure how to fill it but then I had another problem after I did the other step the shadow was gone so I gave up and made something else :fractal23.png

Thanks for your help anyways ..