Make 3D glass filled with orange juice

yellowman

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

In this tutorial we will make this glass:

Plugins needed for this tutorial:

Shape 3D by MKT

1-Start with new image 800x800.

2-Fill it with Black.

3-Add new layer name it interior fill it with transparent white 40.

4-Duplicate Interior layer and name the new layer exterior.

You will have something like this:

5-Add new layer, name it liquid and fill about 3/4 of this layer, or any level you want with the color you like, this will be the level of the liquid in the glass ( I used orange color to fill about 3/4 of the liquid layer)

To get something like this:

6-Add new layer on top off all layers, name it highlight, and draw random vertical white rectangles from top edge to the bottom using Rectangle tool from Tools window, like this:

7-Fade up the top and bottom edges of the white rectangles created in the highlight layer, to do that use Linear Gradient :LinearGradient: with with Transparency Mode :AlphaChannel: :AlphaChannel: , as shown with details in the image below

8-Turn off liquid layer temporary and select interior layer and apply the Shape 3D plugin on it with values and effects shown with 11 red arrows(you can change the values as your desire but keep the Cylinder mode and un-check the Top box and check the Bottom box in All Faces)

Hint:

-Keep the values you made unchanged in Shape 3D plugin cause we will use them same almost in all other layers.

-For better clean edges use higher Anti Alias value but that will slower the rendering, so make last checked box the Anti Alias box when you are satisfied with your shape and wait for the final render.

you should get something like this:

9-Apply Shape 3D plugin on liquid layer using exactly same values and effects.

Hint: If you want transparent juice effect then put liquid layer under interior layer, if no then put it on top of interior layer.( I chose transparent)

10-Select exterior layer, apply the Shape 3D and change only the values shown below:

Move exterior layer down(behind all but not the black background layer)

11-Duplicate highlight layer and name the new layer back highlight and move it behind liquid layer.

12-Select highlight layer (this layer is already on top of all layers, if not then move it on top )and apply Shape 3D with same values as exterior layer changing only the Textural Map from Half Cylinder Map(Repeat) to Half Cylinder Map and better to un-check the Light box, as shown below:

13-Select back highlight layer and apply the Shape 3D again with values of highlight layer changing only the Axis-1=345 and Axis-2=180 in the Object Rotation as shown below:

14-Add new layer on top of liquid layer and draw an orange ellipse using Ellipse :EllipseTool: tool with Filled Shape mode to cover the top opening of the juice surface, then merge this layer with liquid layer:

Hint: select the ellipse shape with Rectangle Select tool and move or re-shape it with Move Selected :MoveTool: Pixels to fit exactly on the top of the juice surface as shown:

15-Add new layer on top of all layers and draw a white ellipse on the top edge of the glass using this time Shape Outline mode for Ellipse tool, use the last hint to fit the ellipse:

16-Add some gradient to the last ellipse using Gradient tool with Linear(Reflected) :LinearReflectedGradient: and Transparency Mode, start from the center of the ellipse down toward the edge of the glass shift a little to the right by moving the 2 knobs as shown below, then merge this layer with highlight layer:

17-Select interior layer and add Linear Transparency Mode gradient effect on it starting from the bottom of the glass up to the edge of the liquid:

18-Merge interior layer with liquid layer, open Rotate / Zoom effect (find it in Layers > Rotate/Zoom) and add some more 3D effect to the liquid layer (the last resulted layer from merging) put these values or use your own ones but make sure to align the shape using Pan and Zoom options, something like this:

19-Merge all layers down except the black background and repeat Rotate / Zoom effect with same values.

20-Use the Bulge :Bulge: effect find it in Effect > Distort > Bulge to add some curvature to the right and left sides of the glass as shown below:

-For the right side:

-And for the left side just slide the "x" value from 1 to -1:

It looks like the glass is wide so lets change the width of the image from 800 to 750 or less, yes looks much better, and lets add a good background, some reflection and a frame to get the final result as this:

I hope that you enjoyed the tutorial

Here are some more images of glass:

20 21 22

• Upvote 1

We're getting some good tuts lately, well done.

Here is my humble attemp:

glass.png

• Upvote 1

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

Nice! Looks cool. I did something wrong and one of my highlights was misaligned with the glass, though. I just got frustrated and quit >.<

ah well ill make one later :3

Gutspillsig.jpg

awesome tut, really!

but I modified the methods nevertheless *smirk*, slightly, though.

which nevertheless made me see the superiority of your way. that's my (failed) attempt:

jugowater.png

*edit*: I forgot the drops which cause the surface to ripple :(

• Upvote 1

Wow, sweet tutorial! :D

It was very easy to follow and I really enjoyed it. Here is my outcome with a little twist. ;)

It took me ~2 hours. :shock:

OrangeJuice2-1.jpg

Now I wish I made a bigger size. One helpful tip though.

Mini-Tut for reflection:

Hidden Content:
Once you are making a reflection of the glass, Duplicate the glass layers and then use the magic wand tool with a tolerance of 1-2% and select the outside of the flattened glass layer. After that, change to rectangle selection tool and hold down Ctrl and then drag cursor till you get to the edge bottom part of glass you want reflected. Then use the wet floor reflection plugin and customize specifications to your needs. Then de-select everything do an average blur at around 7 pixels to get the edge of the reflection a little better.

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

Boude, thanks, good shape if could just make the top exact ellipse.

Athena.mm, thanks.

Gutspill, try again, once then it will be very easy to you.

m2lucky, looks ok, you just need to add a thickness to the glass and use :AntiAliasingOn: not :AntiAliasingOff:

EscapistAngel, you welcome I saw your image looks very nice, I like the highlight very much.

arik-so, awesome, I like your idea, very well done.

pink77punk, I like the second one, it has nice details not like mine just flat simple :) .Btw Goonfella made a good tutorial for doing wine glass shape like the one you did.

Gamer_World14, wow , that is excellent, better than my version, 2-hours for first time next one will be 10 minutes as long as you got the trick.

and thanks for the tip( btw I don't use wet floor reflection plugin for my important projects, for good result I use the hard way, without plugins)

Here's my attempt. I couldn't find a good way to add a reflection.

I think the Wet Floor reflection plugin is just awful; it's really laggy and renders horribly.

It ended up looking better without a reflection.

e9ymv8.png

@ alexmcgillvary: Try my reflection tip...

Mini-Tut for reflection:

Hidden Content:
Once you are making a reflection of the glass, Duplicate the glass layers and then use the magic wand tool with a tolerance of 1-2% and select the outside of the flattened glass layer. After that, change to rectangle selection tool and hold down Ctrl and then drag cursor till you get to the edge bottom part of glass you want reflected. Then use the wet floor reflection plugin and customize specifications to your needs. Then de-select everything do an average blur at around 7 pixels to get the edge of the reflection a little better.

The average blur really helps the outcome. ;)

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

though your glass image is the best, and you managed to do a good job on your reflection, realistic reflection is impossible with Paint.NET, because it has to work the following way: where the object that is reflected touches the reflector, the immediate vertical line of pixels above that touching point is shown flipped on the area of the reflector. So if the touching line of an object is not absolutely horizontal, which means it is the same distance away from us one the one side as it is on the other, we cannot make a realistic reflection by means of this grapphics-editing software :(

But, no! Now, I've had an "epiphany", and I found out how it can be made, using MaDJik's Gravity plugin!

I'll post a tutorial soon.

I've edited my reply. It can be done using MaDJik's gravity plugin. I'll post a tutorial.

Hidden Content:
Though this discussion breaks the Forum Replying Guidelines, I think

• 2 weeks later...
I've edited my reply. It can be done using MaDJik's gravity plugin. I'll post a tutorial.

Hidden Content:
Though this discussion breaks the Forum Replying Guidelines, I think

MaDJik made a reflection plugin I think...Maybe it was someone else.

Any way here's mine

Hidden Content:
2njccco.png

^^^^Click to reveal the glass.

Here's my 1st attempt :| Many thanks for the tutorial (I couldn't do step 18, so just skipped it). BTW I love your glassy flower.

glass_in_work.jpg

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being late to reply:

alexmcgillvary, thanks, your glass is well done, so clean and net work.

bamaplaya1,thank you very much and very good job you too,

Dimitriye98, good job, I like the colors.

nanettealsop, nice one, you are very welcome, and thank you for your comment on the glassy flower I am glad you like it , btw I like that small guy on your glass :D .

Liza_13, the red one is excellent, it is the best of the bests :wink: , I like the B&W vase too looks nice and good touch on it.

chichimama, great, I like when people use it in different ways and creat their on image and ideas, well done, I like the texture of the candle and the flame is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...