Technical Questions..

Smoke_Dev420

Alright, I'm a bit of .Net developer, not the greatest, but I get by.. :)

Anyways, the .Net v3.5 SP1 update provided a huge speed boost in my .Net applications startup time, and I was curious if anyone knows if Paint.Net has been recompiled since that update was released.

If not, my next question is, is the source code for the latest version available, I looked, but didn't see it(granted I didn't scour, I just looked.. :P), I would like to recompile it, to see if it speeds up the startup time a little bit..

Btw, sorry is this is wrong forum, I wasn't sure where this would fit in best, so I went with general..

----

Edit: I just wanted to add this here too, I forgot, you need to update both the framework, and your development IDE(C#, VB.Net, etc,.) to v3.5 SP1 to get the speed increase..

But it really does shave seconds off of execution time..

Anyways, the .Net v3.5 SP1 update provided a huge speed boost in my .Net applications startup time, and I was curious if anyone knows if Paint.Net has been recompiled since that update was released.

If not, my next question is, is the source code for the latest version available, I looked, but didn't see it(granted I didn't scour, I just looked.. :P), I would like to recompile it, to see if it speeds up the startup time a little bit..

Btw, sorry is this is wrong forum, I wasn't sure where this would fit in best, so I went with general..

----

Edit: I just wanted to add this here too, I forgot, you need to update both the framework, and your development IDE(C#, VB.Net, etc,.) to v3.5 SP1 to get the speed increase..

----

Paint.NET 3.5 will require a later version of .NET (i'm not sure whether 3.0 or 3.5 SP1), but you can still use later versions as long as the user has it installed.

No.

KaHuc.png

Paint.NET 3.5 will require a later version of .NET (i'm not sure whether 3.0 or 3.5 SP1), but you can still use later versions as long as the user has it installed.

No.

KaHuc.png

No.

KaHuc.png

Right, but what I was curious about, is if you have recompiled the .exe and .dll files using v3.5 SP1 update, this will speed up applications by 40-50 percent..(Thats according to the release notes for the 3.5 SP1 update..)

And in my experience, it really has sped up all my applications by a LOT.. We're talking seconds, not minuscule milliseconds or anything.. :D

It's really worthwhile to try this if you haven't...

Edit: Sorry, my brain wasn't working, you have to update both the framework, and your IDE(C#, VB.Net, etc,..) to the 3.5 SP1 versions for this speed boost to happen.. So update both, and recompile, and there ya go..

No.

Well, thats understandable.. :)

Right, but what I was curious about, is if you have recompiled the .exe and .dll files using v3.5 SP1 update, this will speed up applications by 40-50 percent..(Thats according to the release notes for the 3.5 SP1 update..)

And in my experience, it really has sped up all my applications by a LOT.. We're talking seconds, not minuscule milliseconds or anything.. :D

Edit: Sorry, my brain wasn't working, you have to update both the framework, and your IDE(C#, VB.Net, etc,..) to the 3.5 SP1 versions for this speed boost to happen.. So update both, and recompile, and there ya go..

No.

No.

I'm not the Paint.NET developer.

Ah, sorry about that, my mistake..

Paint.NET v3.36 was compiled with the the C# 3.0 compiler.

"40-50%" refers to specific areas of performance, not overall performance, btw.

1. I see, well that answers that...

2. I understand the performance bit, but as I said, I've written several programs, about 20-30 myself, and all saw some benefit, primarily in startup time, which became instantaneouse, compared to a 2-3 second delay while it loaded up..

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not trying to tell you how to do anything, whether you try this or not is up to you, and it may or may not work in your applications case, as you already stated.

I was simply stating facts from my own personal programming experience, it did speed up my applications startup time, and made them generally more responsive(menu's etc,.)..

Anyways, thanks for your time, and for giving us this awesome free graphics editing software. :)