Abstract Swirly Spacey Thing

Swalski

Ok. I know some madass PDNers might think this is simple, but someone felt that they would like a tut, and I was happy to oblige

Plugins:

Align Object

Bevel

Anyway, you will be making something like this

Abstract4ReDo.jpg

(I apologise this is not the exact thing you will be making. I made this image, and about two weeks later I made the tut, but I think this is quite close. Play around with some of the options and see what result you get)

Ok, here we go.

1. Start with a plain 800x600 Background. Select your two colours as black and red. Go to render and select clouds (Scale 110. Roughness 0.75) Gaussian blur this at about 25.

Step1ReDo.jpg

2. Now make a new layer, draw a white circle (any size really),fill it white and align it to the centre.

Step2ReDo.jpg

3. Make a new layer, and draw a white ellipse, fill it white, and align that to centre.

Step3ReDo.jpg

4. Merge the cirlce and ellipse layers down.

5. Wand inside the shape and bevel the edges. Make the top a light red, and the bottom a darker red (Depth 20).

Step4ReDo.jpg

6. Wand in the centre and fill this section red.

Step5ReDo.jpg

7. Wand outside the shape and press Ctrl + I to invert. Gaussian blur this at 20

8. Wand in the centre of the shape and hit glow (17, 72, -87).

Step6ReDo.jpg

9. Again, wand outside the shape, Ctrl + I to invert and Gaussian blur at 20

10. Ok. Duplicate the layer twice. On the top layer apply a twist at the standard settings.

Step7ReDo.jpg

11. Go down a layer and twist again, but this time, on the first setting, put a minus in front of it.

12. Finally, glow the top two layers (17, 38, -87)

Step8ReDo.jpg

And you’re done! Again, as I said before, feel free to play around with the settings and colours. This is a rough guidline. Change the twist options, glow options, colour options, anything!

Thanks,

Swalski

Ok. I know some madass PDNers might think this is simple, but someone felt that they would like a tut, and I was happy to oblige

Plugins:

Align Object

Bevel

Anyway, you will be making something like this

Abstract4ReDo.jpg

(I apologise this is not the exact thing you will be making. I made this image, and about two weeks later I made the tut, but I think this is quite close. Play around with some of the options and see what result you get)

Ok, here we go.

1. Start with a plain 800x600 Background. Select your two colours as black and red. Go to render and select clouds (Scale 110. Roughness 0.75) Gaussian blur this at about 25.

Step1ReDo.jpg

2. Now make a new layer, draw a white circle (any size really),fill it white and align it to the centre.

Step2ReDo.jpg

3. Make a new layer, and draw a white ellipse, fill it white, and align that to centre.

Step3ReDo.jpg

4. Merge the cirlce and ellipse layers down.

5. Wand inside the shape and bevel the edges. Make the top a light red, and the bottom a darker red (Depth 20).

Step4ReDo.jpg

6. Wand in the centre and fill this section red.

Step5ReDo.jpg

7. Wand outside the shape and press Ctrl + I to invert. Gaussian blur this at 20

8. Wand in the centre of the shape and hit glow (17, 72, -87).

Step6ReDo.jpg

9. Again, wand outside the shape, Ctrl + I to invert and Gaussian blur at 20

10. Ok. Duplicate the layer twice. On the top layer apply a twist at the standard settings.

Step7ReDo.jpg

11. Go down a layer and twist again, but this time, on the first setting, put a minus in front of it.

12. Finally, glow the top two layers (17, 38, -87)

Step8ReDo.jpg

And you’re done! Again, as I said before, feel free to play around with the settings and colours. This is a rough guidline. Change the twist options, glow options, colour options, anything!

Thanks,

Swalski

lovely :)

just two things :

it would help a lot of people trying this out if you give links to the plugins

also i think those pictures might be too big for forum rules and youll wake up one of the mods :roll:

apart from that well written :) but i think, like in your sig the end result is better without the background, also maybe a bit of feather is in order.

well ill be back later with my attempt :)

Citylife.png

lovely :)

just two things :

it would help a lot of people trying this out if you give links to the plugins

also i think those pictures might be too big for forum rules and youll wake up one of the mods :roll:

apart from that well written :) but i think, like in your sig the end result is better without the background, also maybe a bit of feather is in order.

well ill be back later with my attempt :)

Citylife.png

Thanks KillerK. I've put down the hyperlinks for the plugins, and am working on the pictures.

Hope the mods don't catch me! :D

Cheers,

Swalski

Thanks KillerK. I've put down the hyperlinks for the plugins, and am working on the pictures.

Hope the mods don't catch me! :D

Cheers,

Swalski

Sorry Sharp. I didn't mean it. This was just a back I used. You can use anything.

I've updated it. All pictures now are smaller and (I think) under the allowed size. :D

Cheers,

Swalski

Sorry Sharp. I didn't mean it. This was just a back I used. You can use anything.

I've updated it. All pictures now are smaller and (I think) under the allowed size. :D

Cheers,

Swalski

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was a really great tut and extremely easy to understand! I made it to the final product and decided to tinker a bit more, and here is what I came up with. Thank you for posting this.

SwirlGlow.jpg

@Alphawolf626 Wow that looks really smart! The subtle pink/red goes really well with the black and gives a nice result! The doubling up also looks good! :D

I did something very similar to alphawolfs drawing. The tutorial was really very understandable and easy to follow, wich is good for beginners such as me. I did the whole thing without a circle in the middle, which make sit more vortexlike and did the gaussian blur to the outside instead of the inside.. I like the one with the whithe bg better, but i'll post both anyway.

45256_decd250f18fc23673723800036399b2f

45256_1a9bfb6b8b30a927e9e411d7ee3ba542

4451152475_fd0abfbc9e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice tut, easy to follow and good for learning about how to obtain shapes using the effects, thank you. I've played a little mixing it with the 3d metal Ash tutorial:

th_anillobrillante.jpg

th_anillo.jpg