Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Make some gears/ cogs

welshblue    355

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download the PDF

... my first Tut' ... go easy on me

How I made this:

th_insidetime.png

Thanks to Ash who's 3D Metal/ Chrome was my inspiration for the Incognito piece.

In this tutorial I've only skirted around the technique, but it's there for you to experiment with.

Also the metal texture I've chosen to use may not be everyone's cup of tea,

but there's loads of tuts out there to find one you like

Plug -Ins needed: Drop Shadow... Conditional Hue/ Saturation

Find your Cog shape you want to use ... there's a .zip file @ the bottom of this post

Hidden Content:
one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

Five.jpg

Six.jpg

seven.jpg

eight.jpg

nine.jpg

ten.jpg

eleven.jpg

Merge the 3 Gear layers together and use True Feather to get a smoother finish. (Or feather before you use Rotate/ Zoom for a better finish )

Duplicate your finished Gear/ cog and put them in different places on your canvas

th_twelve.jpg

Any mistakes or things I should have said ... give me a shout :)

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Added PDF link & restored to Creations

Boude    2

Simple yet effective, well done, I mean for your first tut you're doing good. Maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm bored.

Boude    2

Simple yet effective, well done, I mean for your first tut you're doing good. Maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm bored.

yellowman    205

Well well, very well written tutorial and excellent result, welshblue thank you so much for this it is very easy to follow and lots of applications on this technique.

This is my attempt I made it fast following your steps, but I got a candy look cogs more than metal or chrome :lol:, I think my blur thing wasn't enough and I created my own template, looks cool ha :

cog.png

yellowman    205

Well well, very well written tutorial and excellent result, welshblue thank you so much for this it is very easy to follow and lots of applications on this technique.

This is my attempt I made it fast following your steps, but I got a candy look cogs more than metal or chrome :lol:, I think my blur thing wasn't enough and I created my own template, looks cool ha :

cog.png

welshblue    355

Thanks Boude and Ouchy_S ... I'm glad you could understand it

@ Yellowman ... WOW that looks great. Love the colours and texture. I think texture is relative to that one person's tastes and if you're happy ... and you should be.

A great interpretation.

You can use this method on loads of things; like Ash says in the 3D chrome tut' ... think outside the box :wink:

welshblue    355

Thanks Boude and Ouchy_S ... I'm glad you could understand it

@ Yellowman ... WOW that looks great. Love the colours and texture. I think texture is relative to that one person's tastes and if you're happy ... and you should be.

A great interpretation.

You can use this method on loads of things; like Ash says in the 3D chrome tut' ... think outside the box :wink:

johnnysdream    30

wheres the gears?I mean where you getting the actual gear picture from?Or cog?(is it called?)I thought this was going to show us how to make it.Its funny cuz I was on here looking just for this exact thing.There is no zip file anywhere.    once again...........confused.

johnnysdream    30

cog.png

just found your youtube page.It shall keep me busy!

welshblue    355

wheres the gears?I mean where you getting the actual gear picture from?Or cog?(is it called?)I thought this was going to show us how to make it.Its funny cuz I was on here looking just for this exact thing.There is no zip file anywhere.    once again...........confused.

No need to be confused ... It's so long ago I'm not sure what happened to the zip file.  TBH the end result is pretty crappy ... I'll re-write this and update it over the coming weekend

johnnysdream    30

No need to be confused ... It's so long ago I'm not sure what happened to the zip file.  TBH the end result is pretty crappy ... I'll re-write this and update it over the coming weekend

ya im pretty late to all this.Since then ive found a video tut but thanks for the reply.