How to Install Plugins ×

Introducing "Mosaic Maniac Collage Paint" plugin

MosaicManiac

MODERATORS NOTE:  this plugin is incompatible with paint.net v4.2+

I'd like to introduce a new plug-in I call "Mosaic Maniac Collage Paint"

This is an early release and I still know of a couple of bugs, but do let me know if you find some.

I'm interested in your comments and suggestions.

Peter Lukaszuk

(Original text found at http://mosaicmaniac.com/Ajax.aspx?c=TabPlugin)

Did you ever want to paint using more than a single color or image?

Now you can paint with whole collections of images.

The plug-in creates a unique non repeatable pattern that closely tries to match the background.

Image distribution is based on latest pattern recognition and image matching techniques.

Shapes, colors, brightness, as well as many other factors determine where the image is placed.

jukeboxbeforeafter.jpg

This is an example of pattern collage.

The main image of a Jukebox is painted over with collection of music album covers.

Notice how the dark images cover the dark areas, yellow cover yellow etc.

Tutorial:

Step 1:

pnp1.jpg

Select an image we will paint on.

Using Magic Wand, select an area to paint on.

Step 2:

pnp2.jpg

From Effects menus select "Artistic" and "Collage Paint"

Step 3:

pnp3.jpg

You will see a "Mosaic Maniac Collage Paint Options" dialog.

Browse for the folder containing your images. All images in the folder will be used.

If you want to use only certain images you'll have to create folders and copy only the images you want to use.

All images are sized down and only their thumbnails used in pattern painting.

"Maximum image size in pixels" textbox specifies that size.

Leave the "Rotate images" checkbox checked. All images used will be rotated randomly.

Uncheck this field if you are painting a photomosaic.

Step 4:

pnp4.jpg

Adjust Hue and Transparency for the desired result.

Hue Adjustment requires reprocessing and takes some time.

Step 5:

pnp5.jpg

Voila!

Put some leaves on the road and we really managed to mess this nice picture up.

Images used in the example can be downloaded from:

http://mosaicmaniac.com/download/Flowers.zip

http://mosaicmaniac.com/download/Fall%20Leafs.zip

Installation:

PDN 3.5 Alpha should work now!

To install Mosaic Maniac Collage Paint plugin for Paint.NET download the MosaicManiac.dll and

copy it to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects directory.

Get the latest one right here. Version 1.0.0906.08

:RightArrowBlue:MosaicManiacPaintDotNet.zip

ball.png

dorotka.jpg

wr_Lepouliguen 017.jpg

Hey, what a great plugin you made there ! :D

I really enjoy it very much.

Of course, I immediatly tried it right now, using logos ...

logo01.jpg

But you must take care of the folder's size ..

I had to wait 22 minutes on my first trial, using a folder containing 800 images ! :roll:

I come a second time, just to inform you that your plugin cannot be used on 3.5 Alpha PDN version.

An error is occured and the message is :

Hidden Content:
Fichier : C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\MosaicManiac.dll

Nom : MosaicManiac.PNPlugin

Version : 1.0.0.0

Auteur : Piotr Lukaszuk

Copyright: Copyright © 2009

Site Web : http://mosaicmaniac.com/

Message d'erreur : PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Opération inter-threads non valide : le contrôle 'MainForm' a fait l'objet d'un accès à partir d'un thread autre que celui sur lequel il a été créé.

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()

à System.Windows.Forms.Control.GetSafeHandle(IWin32Window window)

à System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

à MosaicManiac.MosaicManiac.RenderInit()

à MosaicManiac.PNPlugin.OnSetRenderInfo(PropertyBasedEffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)

à PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect`1.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs) dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\Effect`1.cs:ligne 68

à PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs) dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\Effect.cs:ligne 139

à PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction() dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:ligne 150

--- Fin de la trace de la pile d'exception interne ---

à PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Join() dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:ligne 277

à PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort() dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:ligne 249

à PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start() dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:ligne 218

à PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass19.<>c__DisplayClass1d.b__d() dans D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:ligne 735

Sorry, but I use french version of PDN. :oops:

:shock:

This is AWESOME!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm using the new PDN version 3.5 Alpha and getting the following error message...

PluginError-1.jpg

Is it me --or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

This is a known issue.

It does not work with PDN 3.5 alpha and will not anytime soon.

Well, that'll be a problem. When 3.5 becomes stable, this plugin will no longer work, and all users will be forced to upgrade past it. In addition, it will no longer be allowed to be hosted on the forum, as it will require a legacy version of the program to operate.

I'd recommend you eschew new features in favor of making it work with 3.5. At least when the Stable comes out, and probably when the public Beta/RC comes out. It's an awesome plugin, don't let it die.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

By all means 3.5 and all future versions will be supported. I'll do what it takes.

I just released this plug-in. Who's talking about dying? :wink:

I've spent some time already working on it and I see there are some significant issues to be resolved.

I'm hoping 3.5 Alpha is just that - Alpha and the final release will not divert so much.

Excellent to hear. :-) Good work.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I addressed them all. Please do keep them coming.

The latest changes include:

- PDN Alpha 3.5 support

- Simplified UI

- Moved to Effects -> Artistic

- Repeat Effect

- Several bug fixes

Yet another creation using Collage Paint:

dorotka.jpg

All images used in the examples on this page can be downloaded from http://mosaicmaniac.com/?c=TabDownload under "Rendering packs"

When I tried it it worked but I got several "read and write protected memory" errors. Is there a chance error messages could be displayed in an errors textbox rather than a model dialog?

KaHuc.png

Also, using SubMenuNames.Artistic would change the name "Artistic" to the label in the language PDN is localised to.

KaHuc.png

Thank you Simon for "kicking the tires”!

You found a couple of good issues.

Clicking OK during surface preparation is really not OK, you'd get some errors. I'll have to disable that.

SubmenuNames.Artistic is a very good suggestion. I wouldn’t know it's there if you hadn't told me.

How did you find that anyway? :o

New release is coming soon.

Thanks!

Here is another update - version 1.0.0906.07.

This release include fixes for the issues Simon talked about yesterday.

Is it a release candidate?

Update:

Yet another version - 1.0.0906.08 is up for grabs.

Here is another creation using this single image ball.png

wr_Lepouliguen%20017.jpg

Here is another creation using this single image ball.png

I suggest that you provide some sample images for mosaic painting in your first post - like those flowers. That will help the users, as they can play around with your plugin and get an impression how it fits their needs.

And indeed, this plugin looks amazing. Thanks!

I think this is a bug, maybe its only for me.

When selecting a folder, if I type in the path it does not recognize I have altered it. If I select it, it works fine

If you have a transparent new image, It will not work. So an 800x600 of transparent pixels, use your effect... no result.

Sorry i double posted >.<

heres a vid of the bugs if it helps at all: