***ADVANCED CRITIQUE*** - Read Rules First

david.atwell

Picture 1 is great, I love the texture on the blood splatters, although they don't blend with the background too well. I like the Vignette on it aswell Background texture, if you made it yourself that is.

Now picture two, I'm not the biggest fan. But I have a biased opinion because I used to make stuff like that and now I really dislike my work that looks like that. But for the purpose of critique, the use of glow was a bit overused in that one, but the colour scheme is good. Yeh its probably the polar inversion (?) that let you down, its very very hard to find an established Paint.NET artist using Polar Inversion. :D

All in all, great work.

Picture 1:

The texture and flow of the piece are overall good. The vignette is a bit strong. and it is a little dark. The splatter effect is nice. Overall the picture could use slight softening.

Picture 2:

The glow effect on this one is a bit harsh. Although the color scheme is nice. I can tell there was a lot of work put into this. The polar inversion on that is a bit too noticeable. Overall the image is good but it could use some softening of the colors as well.

side note: Oma uses polar inversion and i do as well. Our methods are just a bit advanced :P

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Sorry theonlychad, what I meant by that was making a pattern running polar inversion and done.

Not good :?

But you and oma don't do that sort of thing so it's all good. Oh and Juraiko, I wasn't suggesting that you made a pattern, ran polar inversion and done. :) It's hard staying on everyone's good side.

• 2 weeks later...

This not the place you want to post if you don't want people to be harsh :roll: this is the advanced critique which means it is harsh in nature.

I will start this off.

Both sigs have very little sense of flow and the effects are really choppy. The render does not blend in well with the piece and the colors do not mesh. The effects are subpar at best. I can tell that you are a beginner and i am not trying to be mean but you should head over to the tutorials section and check out a few of the sig making tutorials that have been published for some direction on flow, blending, and color meshing.

Don't be discouraged. We like seeing new artists budding around here but the critique in this thread is normally harsh. I suggest following some tutorials and looking around maybe make a gallery and get some feedback from other sig artists and maybe branch out from just signature making.

Oh and welcome to the forums, once again sorry for being harsh but this is the advanced critique thread. If you would like less harsh criticism i suggest posting your sigs here for less harsh critique.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

i71xxl.jpg

24yzubc.jpg

ok here are my sigs... both the same techniques so i posted 2..

please be nice to me lol..

Sig One:

Composition The render is placed in the centre of the sig. This is okay, one of the only places that looks good but goes against the rule of thirds. C4D placement is pretty good to, though leaves some of the sig feeling empty and doesn't draw focal attention to the render.

Effects The effects are pretty poor, sorry. Frosted glass looks horrible, C4D needs more blending and the splatter needs some texture and lighting.

Colour Colour in this isn't to bad, I guess. Try to infuse more colours into your sig. With just the blues, it looks okay but the shades don't work together, giving it an un-natural feeling.

Depth Depth isn't bad actually. Render seems to be rising upward in a wave of C4D. Splats look to flat.

Lighting Not even thought about. Not lightsource, no light, no shadow and no effort at all but into making the light work.

Flow Horrid. Render gives no flow and is constrained by the C4D. Try using a different render with more 'action' or to create some flow with smudging.

Blending Render doesn't blend at all. You really need to create a sig around a render, not find a render to go with the sig.

Other Everything is too pixelly.

Text is badly placed and should follow render flow and blend more.

Nice border.

Remove the frosted glass effect, take some tuts, look at others sigs and try to work out what looks good and what looks bad.

Not gonna CC sig 2 as sig 1 is better.

PoironmanPNG.png

Robot-greyscalePNG.png

Massive frog did you even read the first post of the thread you need to wait till toinkzys gets 3 legitimate critiques before another image is posted. Next person please critique Toinkzys art. Remember people follow the rules. Also if you wanting sigs critiqued please put them in the avatar, logos, and signatures thread.. we don't need to go around mucking this up with sigs.

• 2 weeks later...

Then read the rules next time.

And the Legacy Tutorials will never be back. I can guarantee that. Get used to it. all of the good ones are still here anyway.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...

sig 1: choppy effects really take away from it all. the render is aliased, the frosted glass looks awful, and the text doesnt work with the sig. extremely little flow. i have to pretty much ditto what everyone else said about both the sigs... work bigger then scale down, and feather everything. seriously.

sig 2: essentially the same. i like the c4d use, but its the wrong colour, and it's really aliased too. feather it.

somebody, post the next image, and please dont let it be a sig. im begging you.

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

Well to drag off from the sig spectrum i will post this piece called

Meet me Halfway

th_874b1021.png

click for full size to see a better view

That one is certainly a nice abstract, theonlychad (or, could it be, Chad?)

The columns of the.. pearls give the image a clear structure and composition, though the blurred out duplicate of these columns in the background would have opened up some possibilities to create some nice contrast.

The colour scheme or colouring is very fitting without being too monotonous. It's impressive how you managed to give every pearl their own, personal colours.

The overall look is very lively and energetic, though it could be regarded as florid or excessive.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with Frontcannon, definitely a very very very nice abstract. The diagonal rows of glass marbles (that's what I will call them) are very nice and the look of the marbles is nice too. I especially like all the little details. They really add up. i.e. the subtle lighting. Color scheme is what I would call interesting. Once more, I agree with TPAM.

The colour scheme or colouring is very fitting without being too monotonous...

The overall look is very lively and energetic, though it could be regarded as florid or excessive.

I think it's a little too much with the overall look. A little too bright. But good work. 7.9/10

Hello theonlychad I think the overall composition of the abstracted piece is good. I am thinking that you used ‘inside out' to create the orbs (very nice) and 'tilling' with the 'rotate zoom' to create the rows. I agree with csm725 that it is too bright. If you used hue/saturation under adjustments and turned the saturation down a bit and the brightness down just a little and maybe changed the hue up a bit so you got a bit of green in there the orbs would stand out more from the background and it would be more pleasing to the eye...

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

The sig's alright, not much to criticise there :)

The drop shadow should be redone, though, if you choose a vanishing point perspective you have to alter the shadows to make it look right!

Your 'realistic' piece..

Well, you have failed at what most realistic artists fail: perspective.

It looks like you've put some objects together who look, treated severally, very good but together it just doesn't look right anymore.

The shadows of the table-legs.. they seem random. Maybe you've forgotten to do the right low leg right.

The background.. well there's no background at all. Not good!

The wooden pattern of the table is very nice, though the middle piece doesn't make much sense.

Oops, accidentally flipped horizontally. I shall redo it. It is a WIP and the background is coming. I suppose I should've said that it is a work in progress. I am adding a newspaper, cereal and a cereal box, and more fruit to the bowl. And a background. So don't say that I need more, because I know it's incomplete, I just wanted to know how I was doing now.

About the shadow, how would I do it better?

I haven't added a shadow to the fruit bowl yet so it looks weird, I know that. I missed a spot with the flipping of the leg, thanks for pointing that out. Other than that, all your criticism seems to on things that I am still working on.

well, i shall comment on both, csm, to give you your third, and EE to give you your first.

CSM:

signature: solid effort. the only real drawback i can find is the shadow, frontcannon has addressed this already. also, just from personal preference, i dont like the colours, but that's just me.

realistic piece: texture, texture, texture. please. it just doesn't look right without it, but, as it's a WIP, you're doing brilliantly. perspective is off in almost everything, the table slopes from down to up... that shouldnt happen, if you're looking at it from the angle you are. the flowers need a little bit more work, texture, and i'd check if flowers really hang like that out of a vase... overall, though, you did quite well, and please keep up the WIP :)

Epic Epiphany:

it is brushed very well, first thing i noticed was the very dark area in the bottom left, there is nothing there, which, to me, took a bit away from the overall image, it was my first focal point... background is very well done, colours work well. the people, are also brushed well, the girl, firstly, and this is my main rant, doesn't look real enough. perhaps you did too good? ;) lighting is perfect, and you have made very few (and those you have made are barely noticeable (look at the hair of the female, and you may see one very small flaw). nice touch on the man's eyes, colouring is flawless there, recoloured well.

you have done a very good job. well done, and keep it up.

just have to ask, though... is that you?

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

• 2 months later...