Simple Web 2.0 Text

Vectawr

In this tutorial Ill just be showing you how to make a simple web 2.0 text effect :)

*All necessary plugins come with the latest Pdn version(3.36)*

Lets go!

Simply add the text you want. :TextTool:

1.png

Now select the text. :MagicWandTool:

Make a new layer. :AddNewLayer:

On the new layer with the text selection still intact create a gradient :LinearGradient: with the color of the text

and a darker shade of that color.

2.png

Now you will see that the gradient isn't very smooth on some sides.

Just do Gaussian Blur :GaussianBlur: you do anything between 2-10 I used 5.

3.png

Okay now duplicate :DuplicateLayer: the text layer and move it up :Up: so its in front of

the gradient layer and just use Brightness and Contrast :BrightnessContrast: from the adjustments tab to make it pure white.

4.png

Select the pure white text layer's text

5.png

Now we are going to use the Move Selection :MoveSelectionTool: tool to make the selection a little bit smaller and more inside the text

as you see me doing in the screen shot below.

6.png

Once you've made the selection a little bit smaller you can press the delete button on your keyboard

or go Edit > Cut. Now just Gaussian blur :GaussianBlur: that pure white text layer it can be anywhere from 4-7 just see which one you like the most.

7.png

And that's it. I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial :)

I would love to see what you guys make so if you do decide to do the tutorial please show your result!

There are many ways to achieve the same effect- outline object, layer blending modes, the "glow" effect (along with other steps), but it's an ok tutorial. I suggest adding a last "sharpen" effect at the end (maybe repeating it a couple of times) since it sorta does turn out on the blurry side.

label.png

WARNING: May scratch, bite, or do any sort of feisty action. Beware.

There are many ways to achieve the same effect- outline object, layer blending modes, the "glow" effect (along with other steps), but it's an ok tutorial. I suggest adding a last "sharpen" effect at the end (maybe repeating it a couple of times) since it sorta does turn out on the blurry side.

Yea prolly you can add more and make it look better but it's just supposed to be simple :) for new peopls to try and get better at pdn (:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would suggest lowering the opacity of the outer glow to make it less blurry looking. Also, I'll repeat what Kemaru said...use Alpha mask! Otherwise, nice work!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo