Mosaic (BETA)

Tim!

Hi All,

I've just written another plugin called Mosaic. It converts a drawing into mosaic pattern and uses the Secondary colour as the adhesive or grout between the tesserae. I was wondering what would be the best submenu for it: Distort, Render or Stylize? (This BETA version is in the _test submenu for now.)

A possible enhancement I might add in future would be mathematical formulae to generate the mosaic pattern; at the moment it just uses a random irregularity based on a square shape.

EDIT 1: Updated the effect by adding a tesserae colour computation option and removed the annoying message box.

EDIT 2: Removed beta effect zip file because I've published it here (and here). Thanks for your suggestions.

EDIT 3: Updated hyperlinks for new forum.

Edited by Tim!

This is great but sometimes, dragging the Tesserae Width slider, or launching the plugin makes a popup saying something like a NullReferenceException (it talks about an object and its missing reference...searching this in google returns it's a System.NullReferenceException) appear. . .

bit too tile like.

I value your comments but I don't know mean by that one. Mosaics are made of (usually) square tiles. One of the intrinsic properties of a mosaic is that it comprises versatile tesselating tesserae. ;-)

Before

post-54726-130480062643_thumb.png

After

post-54726-130480065799_thumb.png

EDIT 1: Updated links for new forum.

Edited by Tim!

I was wondering what would be the best submenu for it: Distort, Render or Stylize?

Am I too late to recommend distort submenu?

bit too tile like.

I value your comments but I don't know mean by that one. Mosaics are made of (usually) square tiles. One of the intrinsic properties of a mosaic is that it comprises versatile tesselating tesserae. ;-)

sorry Tim I wasn't questioning the mosaic part I was just wondering if there was a possiblity of add a rounded off option as well. Most likely not (can you tell I can not get my head around plugin writing?) but thought I'd ask.

ciao

OMA

Thanks for your suggestions. I've now published it here (and here)

Rounded Corners: Hmmm. That involves calculating eight tangents and four x-y offsets and drawing an arc about each of the four x-y offsets between pairs of tangents. Easy enough to say, but tricky to implement. I'll have a think...

EDIT 1: Updated links for new forum.

Edited by Tim!

This is great but sometimes, dragging the Tesserae Width slider, or launching the plugin makes a popup saying something like a NullReferenceException (it talks about an object and its missing reference...searching this in google returns it's a System.NullReferenceException) appear. . .
I've just had another look at that problem. I should have put a lock statement in OnSetRenderInfo(). Thanks for highlighting it.