chrome text (with melting chrome text)

pdnnoob

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

ever since I saw barkbark00's chrome text (http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12285-realistic-chrome-text/), I have been looking for ways to make it less tedious. Here are my results. It's my first time making a tutorial, so don't kill me for it.

You will need the following plugins:

Bevel

Feather

You can get both of them here.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8318-boltbaits-plugin-pack-updated-july-15-2010/page__hl__bevel

:PaintBucketTool: 1. Use the paint bucket to fill the whole image with black. This is only to make it easier to see what you are doing. You can delete the layer when you are done.

:AddNewLayer: 2. Add a new layer.

:TextTool: 3. Type in your text on the new layer. Make sure you made the text white and make the size around 108. You can use any font you want. Rounded fonts are preferable.

it should look sort of like this:

:MagicWandTool: 4. Select the area around the text using the magic wand tool set on 0% tolerance and make the flood mode global :Link: .

:InvertSelection: 5. invert selection (ctrl+i)

6. Bevel selection. Change up the properties so that the text appears rounded. (sorry about my poor descriptions)

:DuplicateLayer: 7. Duplicate the layer

:InvertColors: 8. Invert colors

:Properties: 9. Make the layer blend mode "Difference"

:MergeDown: 10. Merge layer down

:Curves: 11. Adjust the luminosity. It doesn't necessarily have to be exactly the way I did it.

12. Feather the text layer

If you want, you can delete the black layer.

Show your results!

EDIT: When you use the feather tool, make sure you set it on "true feather" (or "shrink" if you don't have the same version as me)

EDIT: Melting chrome text

I tried to make this in a new topic, but it got locked. david.atwell told me I could add it to this tutorial, so here it is!

:D 1. You'll need some text to melt, so go make some...

:Delete: 2. When you are done making your text, select and delete to places that have already melted away.

:Unfocus: 3. The edges are a little sharp, so select them and use "unfocus" to fix it up.

:Properties: 4. Add a new layer and set the layer properties to "Difference"

:EditCopy: 5. Go back to the layer with the text and select some pieces of your text and copy them (ctrl+c)

:Paste: 6. Paste the pieces on your blank layer from step 4 Sometimes, you have to invert the colors of the piece you are pasting so that you don't end up with a funny looking part (A field of white will turn black if you put a white piece on it, so you invert the colors to keep that part white.)

:MoveTool: 7. Move the pieces to the places where you cut off some stuff in step 2.

8. Blur the things a little using unfocus...only a little.

:MagicWandTool: 9. Go to your text layer and, using the magic wand tool, select everything that isn't text. Make sure the tolerance is set to 0%

:Delete: 10. Go to the other layer and delete everything in the selection.

:Unfocus: 11. Use unfocus to fix the edges (not too much).

Hopefully, it looks right and you can flatten the image. If it doesn't look the way it should, do some of your own modifications. If you did it right, it should look better than this ;)

Show your results...and feel free to give suggestions!

• Like 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

wow. nice job guys!

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 2 weeks later...

Love this text effect. Very nice and very easy. Here are a couple of my efforts.

HCF_Logo_new_13.jpg

HCF_Logo_new_12.jpg

The second one I just added the relief to it and I got a more liquid mercury effect. Thanks ! Very cool.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 4 weeks later...

What's bevel..?

“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.”

n4e92d.png

~Click on my siggy to see my deviantART~

-Haiku I made-

A gray sleek creature

Jumping from water to air

Barly touching sea

What's bevel..?

Click on the link and download it. It's really useful in some cases.

Whoever wrote that plugin is a genius!!!

lol...don't flatter yourself like that :P

Why, its only the most awesome-est plugin of all time!!!
It could use some modifications :roll: ...maybe like changing the angle (hint hint) Of course, that may be too hard for mister genius, but it's just a suggestion
Nice Tutorial. My try....
Not bad. You should have used the feather plugin (also known as the most useful plugin of all time...whoever made it is a genius ;) ) instead of...whichever blur you used.

Nice Nice Nice Tut! I love it First one original:

Hidden Content:
w20kf8.png
Second one with inverted Fire Color:

Hidden Content:
9ux3wm.png

The post above probably has crappy art.. Just look past that

:D

Whoever wrote that plugin is a genius!!!

lol...don't flatter yourself like that :P

Why, its only the most awesome-est plugin of all time!!!
It could use some modifications :roll: ...maybe like changing the angle (hint hint) Of course, that may be too hard for mister genius, but it's just a suggestion
Nice Tutorial. My try....
Not bad. You should have used the feather plugin (also known as the most useful plugin of all time...whoever made it is a genius ;) ) instead of...whichever blur you used.

Could it be that you both are genius? I'm lucky to spell plug-in correctly much less write one !

Again pdnnoob, a GREAT tut ! I have used this so much I look at every font with chrome on my mind. This is clipped out of another image I posted in the how to make stone tut in another section. I guess this shows that you can use this effect even on thin fonts as well.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/PossumRoadkill/Logos/DPS_Logo_clip.png

Edited by Possum Roadkill

Could it be that you both are genius? I'm lucky to spell plug-in correctly much less write one !
I'm not a genius...I just go around bother the real geniuses by implying that they aren't truly as genius as they think :lol:

Anyways...thanks for the complements, although it really should be barkbark00 that you should be thanking. All I did was shorten his tutorial. Nice pic by the way. How did you get the wobbly reflection on the chrome?

Mine looks more like a 3d model with the default material.

387226.jpeg

-mmaarrkkuuss

Please notify me about any grammar/spelling/wrong-word mistakes I do. Help me debug my English! xD

Mine looks more like a 3d model with the default material.

387226.jpeg

It looks like that because you didn't do anything with the curves tool.

I'm not a genius...I just go around bother the real geniuses by implying that they aren't truly as genius as they think :lol:

Anyways...thanks for the complements, although it really should be barkbark00 that you should be thanking. All I did was shorten his tutorial. Nice pic by the way. How did you get the wobbly reflection on the chrome?

I got the wobbly effect on the reflection through a complex series of maneuvers that involves pulleys,leavers, a trip to Indianapolis, and a ninja.....OK, I lied, it's just the font. It's Exocet Light and i got it from this site http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fo ... ee%20Fonts but you can find it several places. I think it's the narrow serifs that causes the effect. It was purely by chance. It's the font I use for a my club logo, The Dead Possum Society. The Oand P that are merged are the same font and I just blended them together. OP stands for OPossum. Another font that does something similar is Papyrus. You can find it on the same site. I know, this is way too much information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey pdnnoob ! This is a great effect ! I used it to make all the chrome parts in this image. I used the color tint plugin to tint the text hi-lites blue. I've been playing around with this using other colors than black or white as the original piece and the results are very unusual. Thanks again !

th_DontLookBehindYou600x450.png

Very nice tutorial, really easy and simple to follow. Good job.

Here's my try at it:

This one didn't come out as good as the second one, for some reason.

chrometest1.jpg

I used the same font on both, but this one seems a lot better than the first.

chrometest2.jpg

anonmetalbarsig2.gif

@AnonymousOne Nice pictures! I forgot to tell all of you, have fun with the luminosity! With bigger text, you can mess with it more. When you have small text, it might be better to just raise the contrast.

Thanks for all the comments! :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...