How to Install Plugins ×

Chequerboard v1.1

Simon Brown

Secure Download

If you get a warning, try the unencrypted download.

Have you ever been working on a tutorial in which you wanted to show transparency? Have you ever needed to save an image as JPEG or BMP but still wanted to show transparency? This render plugin draws a checkboard similar to the one shown in Paint.NET permanently to the layer.

cbscreenshot.png
KaHuc.png

• 2 months later...

I'm re-releasing this under GPL3 - mostly as a test. I won't post on SourceForge to avoid bothering them, if enough people try to improve it i'll use my own site to organise it.

KaHuc.png

I'd offer up my SVN server as a place for the code to live, but that system's been gutted; its drives are all in other machines or dismantled, and it has no network card. No NIC = no server. I'm not entirely sure it even has a processor at the moment...

Its OS drive is actually the one being used in this machine right now, unmodified, so it still has all the stuff it would need to act as a server, but this box has huge power-suckers of a GPU and CPU, not to mention the fact that it's liquid cooled and thus overclocked to hell*. It has a tendency to spin the meter, not to mention serve as a makeshift space heater.

*Normally that works the other way around...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I've updated this to a more advanced version I had lying around. It's not a legacy plugin, but I don't think it's useful enough to go in my plugin pack.

The new version isn't open source, although the old version is still on Google Code.

KaHuc.png

• 3 months later...

I know you worked hard on this, but couldn't you just un-check all other layers or make a # of copies to make points on the 1 you're focusing on at a step?

I wish we'd all been ready.

I know you worked hard on this, but couldn't you just un-check all other layers

That won't allow you to save an image with a chequerboard in it. If you save as JPEG/BMP or use software that doesn't show a chequerboard you'll just get a white/normal background.

or make a # of copies to make points on the 1 you're focusing on at a step?

I don't understand this.

KaHuc.png

I don't understand this.

@ any particular step in a tutorial, you may be making a point focusing on 1 part of the image(e.g. a source image), then you may be focusing on various effects applied only to a part of the image, or only to a certain layer. For each of those steps, you might make a different copy of that work, which is all layers & times before & after effects & adjustments are made; & for each of those steps you might save a copy featuring only the part of the image you're focusing on & a transparent layer. But

That won't allow you to save an image with a chequerboard in it. If you save as JPEG/BMP or use software that doesn't show a chequerboard you'll just get a white/normal background.

Thank you for clearing that up.

I wish we'd all been ready.