Cutting out images

Simon Brown

Since the image links are broken in Tendercrisp's tutorial and he hasn't visited the forum for a while, i've created a new one using the same method.

Click here to view.

Keywords (to make searching easier):

cut cutting out image images feather photo photos isolate isolation object object separate separation crop cropping

http://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/files/tracker.php

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
KaHuc.png

I was in a hurry during my lunch and clicked the wrong button LOL :lol:

Well here goes again...

terrible! I'm a newbie myself but I would never use any other method to chop a pic other then the pen tool. Learn it it's worth it.

terrible! I'm a newbie myself but I would never use any other method to chop a pic other then the pen tool. Learn it it's worth it.

Well, this tutorial uses a similar method only with the paint brush, so I guess someone could easily use the pen instead if they wanted to. I used a thick brush to make it easy to see. :wink:

KaHuc.png

• 4 weeks later...

nevermind! lol. I finally got it, it was really being a pain in the butt! now on to layering my images.. lol, i think its just this one picture that wants fight with me.

thanks!

Two things:

1) Paint.NET doesn't include a pen tool;

2) if by 'pen tool' you mean 'paintbrush' or 'pencil', then the Line / Curve tool used in this tutorial by Simon, and originally illustrated by Tendercrisp, is far superior. Learn it, it's worth it.

Aside from that, I'm pinning this tutorial in the stead of Tendercrisp's. I understand how fond we all are of his tutorial, but without images and written instructions, it's not only useless, it's also breaking tutorial guidelines ;).

I've just realised that all of this tutorial's images are 100s of kb PNGs. :roll: I'm not sure how I got away with that. Anyway, the opaque ones are now JPEGs.

KaHuc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that when I finish the steps above that I still have a checkered background. I save it and pull it up on my computer and its a white background but when I pull it up again in paint.net, its checkered again?

• Upvote 1

Why is it that when I finish the steps above that I still have a checkered background. I save it and pull it up on my computer and its a white background but when I pull it up again in paint.net, its checkered again?

What file type are you saving it as?

If it's jpg, or bmp, that's your problem, as those file types don't save transparency.

If it's gif, then you'll need to adjust the transparency threshold higher.

If it's tga, you'll need to save as 32-bit.

Just make it easy on yourself and save it as png instead.

Before visiting this web site, I never new what a PNG file was. All my photo files are saved as a JGP. Before trying to work with the photo, I resaved it as a PNG. When its in my folders, it shows as being a white background but when I pull it back up in Paint.NET, its checkered .....??

Also, it still has the black outline showing from when I was cutting it. How do I get rid of that?

Before visiting this web site, I never new what a PNG file was. All my photo files are saved as a JGP. Before trying to work with the photo, I resaved it as a PNG. When its in my folders, it shows as being a white background but when I pull it back up in Paint.NET, its checkered .....??

The chequerboard is just a representation of transparency - as is the white background.

Also, it still has the black outline showing from when I was cutting it. How do I get rid of that?

If you still have the PDN file, delete that layer - if not, use feather in true mode.

KaHuc.png

I like this tut.. :3 I took me a long time (kinda) and this is what i got.

f20ahv.png

“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.”

n4e92d.png

~Click on my siggy to see my deviantART~

-Haiku I made-

A gray sleek creature

Jumping from water to air

Barly touching sea

• 2 weeks later...

Simon thank you so much for posting this tut. I had found the original tut that you mentioned and was so disappointed when I realized that all of the instructions were contained in the deleted images. I read through page after page picking up what I could and had an idea of what to do, but this makes it all so clear. Thanks again!

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a suggestion. If you set your mask layer to transparency 80, you can use the brush and eraser tools to refine your selection, while still viewing all of the image underneath.

Layer transparency does not adversly affect the magic wand selection, so you can still get a crisp selection at the end.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Like Spinkfish, I don't get a clear selection when using the magic wand. It tends to select randomly around areas that have created shadows. Can any one kindly advise why this might be please.

Slam.