Frozen Text Now with a guide to ALPHA MASKS

m2lucky

Ok Guys I just made a snowy text tutorial, and that was cool but I was playing around with PDN and I came up with this, and I think it is a really cool result. Let me know what you think.

Edit: New sections on alpha masks on the bottom

Plugins needed Drop Shadow http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22881

Optional

Alpha maskhttp://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2178&hilit=alpha+mask

This is the end Result

frozentext.png

1. Create a New Image Size is not critical I am using 600 by 200

2. Select All CTRL-A

3. Delete the selection so now you just have a checkerboard pattern

4. Type your letters in a large font with a light blue color. I used Baveuse which you can download here http://www.dafont.com/baveuse.font size 72 with the color Hex #87D2DB

tut2step1.jpg

5. Next hold SHIFT and use the magic wand :MagicWandTool: so you have just the text selected

This is just an optional way of cutting out the image that requires no plugins. If you want a better way to cut out the image the will make the image a little less aliased look at the bottom of this tutorial

6. Then after you have your text selected use the add noise tool and use the setting below tut2step2.jpg

7. Then once you have the noise added use the motion blur tool :MotionBlur: with an angle of -180.00 and a distance of 15. Have the Center block checked tut2step3.jpg

8. Create a New Layer :AddNewLayer:

9. On the second layer, create a linear gradient :LinearGradient: with the primary color white, and the secondary color fully transparent. Make sure when your on Layer 2 that you still have your text selected. This will make the image look slightly shiny.

tut2step4.jpg

10. Merge the layers together :MergeDown:

11. Create a New Layer :AddNewLayer:

12. Now, use the ellipse tool :EllipseTool: with the main color white on Layer 2. Make sure you draw a filled shape :ShapeInterior:

13. Once you have that change the opacity of the second layer to 85 tut2step5.jpg

14. Then you want to do a Gaussian Blur :GaussianBlur: of 8 on your second layer

15. Merge layers :MergeDown: 16. Now once you have the layers merged now you can FINALLY deselect the text :Deselect: 17. Now its time for a drop shadow

Offset x: -2

Offset y: 1

Widening Radius: 2

Blur Radius: 4

tut2step6.jpg

You should end up with something like this

frozentext.png

OK GUYS, due to popular demand I will update this tutorial with a quick guide on alpha masks if you want to cut out your image that way.

Plugins used:

Alpha maskhttp://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2178&hilit=alpha+mask

It is beneficial to use alpha masks.

Here is an image with alpha masks

alphamask5.png

Here is one without alpha masks

frozentext.png

Yes I know it is the image in the above tutorial using the magic wand. But this is just a comparison of the two.

1. Take the image that we made but just the background you can get the background by following steps 6-14

you should have something like this. This background is 600 by 200

alphamasktut.png

2. Next make a new image with the dimensions the same size as the other image. So if your background is 600 by 200 make this image 600 by 200.

3. On the new imageUse the PaintBucket tool to paint the background black :PaintBucketTool:

4. Create a new layer :AddNewLayer:

5. Write some text on that new layer in some white text. You should end up getting something like this.

alphamasktut2.png

6. Now save that image as a .png

alphamasktut3d.png

7. Now its time for the alpha mask. Go back to your original image and click on alpha mask. When you are on alpha mask find the mask that you saved.

alphamasktut4u.png

8. Now you have just completed an alpha mask. The image is slightly less aliased. Once you have this you can go back to step 15 on the tut above.

9. If you followed right you should end up with something like this

alphamask5.png

I hope this new way of cutting images with alpha masks helped you guys, and I would love to hear your comments, criticism, and praise :)

Alright Guys let me know what you think. I would love to hear what you think, and I would love to see your creations and/or variations on this.

Music Brings color to the world

Photobucket Sucks!

My Gallery|Frozen Text|Snowy Font|MSNBC Effect

Thanks I am glad you guys like the effect. Yeah I kind of did use some of the brush metal effect for inspiration. I also used some of The Un-Photoshop style sig tut as inspiration too. I kind of combined the brushed metal effect with some of the shininess techniques used in those tutorials. Then I put my own spin on them and then ended up with that effect. I am really glad you guys liked it. And I would love to see some more of your guys trys at it

Music Brings color to the world

Photobucket Sucks!

My Gallery|Frozen Text|Snowy Font|MSNBC Effect

I'll have a play with it tomorrow after work. I'll give a try with some text as a test, but I have a pic that I think it might work a treat on. I originally did it using one of the chrome style tuts, but I've never been happy with the finished effect - a kind of brushed effect might suit it better. I'll have a play and post my results.

bliss_sig_pencil_2.png

Bookmarked! That's a really nice effect - I'll have a go at that! :)

It also looks kind of like a brushed metal as well, especially on SmooK's pink version.

hey actualy you are kinda right, it does look like brushed metal. :D i hope you liked my picture.

and thanks again for the tut that you gave. in this way i got many worked out pictures, and this gives me inspiration thanks. :D:):D:):D 8)

Well I've not tried it on text yet, but I've tried it on a pic of a scalpel I was working on a couple of weeks ago and wasn't happy with, and I like it! Nice effect and easy to follow. It'll come in very useful. :D

This was the original pic I did using a combination of the various chrome techniques. Far too shiny and not good at all...

scalpel1.png

And this one's the same pic, but using the effect in this tut - still needs some work, but much better...

scalpel2.png

:D

bliss_sig_pencil_2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hope I did this right you need to explain the eclipse step so they know where to put the eclipse but other than that it was an excellent tutorial

frozentxtis3.png

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer." -Ralph Waldo Emmerson

"A single enduring statement can grant immortality." -Author Unknown (This is what we call "Irony")

new_signature_by_falltodarkness-d3i6it7.jpg