How to Install Plugins ×

Evan's Effects (open source as of October 16, 2012)

evanolds

Knowing an issue exists absolutely has a bearing on having time to deal with it.

"Oh, look, I have some free time. I think I'll go fix some code that I don't know is broken instead of watching this movie."

Right.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

When someone says something that is falsified by an obvious relation, would it not make sense that they are implying everything but that relation?

In boolean terms, yes, it is indeed an AND, but I was talking about the quality of actually having free time with relation to the eventuality of it getting fixed, not both qualities with relation to that eventuality.

On the bright side... while this is completely against the rules, you could make a dummy effect that loads Evan's plugins and gives them a different Assembly version...

~~

there does the "This plugin is known to cause stability problems" message comes from anyway?

Can it be overridden? I never had stability problems with that plugin.

Paint.NET has a blacklist of plugins that are problematic, included, etc. You can override it by changing the version number of the Assembly, if you know how to do that. That doesn't necessarily mean the plugin will work, however. It will still have whatever problem made Rick decide to block it in the first place. In other words, override the block list is possible, but not recommended.

xZYt6wl.png

I'm not sure what caused the problem since I've never been able to reproduce the problem. There was something like a DivideByZeroException in the logs Rick sent me.

I have some changes that I've made and everything works fine on my machine, but then again, it was always working fine on my machine. Maybe I'll post an update later, but the same problem could just come up again for all I know.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

I'm not sure what caused the problem since I've never been able to reproduce the problem. There was something like a DivideByZeroException in the logs Rick sent me.

I have some changes that I've made and everything works fine on my machine, but then again, it was always working fine on my machine. Maybe I'll post an update later, but the same problem could just come up again for all I know.

The problem that I see is that PDN won't even let me load the plugin.

Any chance you can go ahead and upload your changes to your plugins? That way we can give you the crash log (if revelant) for you to view. I especially am hopeful that the 3D Object plugin is out of its beta stage since I find that to be very useful.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Any chance you can go ahead and upload your changes to your plugins? That way we can give you the crash log (if revelant) for you to view. I especially am hopeful that the 3D Object plugin is out of its beta stage since I find that to be very useful.

I have uploaded a version with the changes I've made thus far. I've replaced the old file with the new version so everyone that downloads will be BETA testing whether they like it or not :D :

http://www.evanolds.com/dl/EOEffects.dll

I took the quadrilateral reshape/matte out of the of the oct/quad one and it's now a separate effect, but the old oct/quad one is there also. I'm curious to see if people see a crash in one of these if they also see it in the other.

The 3D object effect no longer uses the ray-tracer but a software renderer that has known clipping issues, but these will only be noticeable when content is outside of the viewing frustum. So unfortunately this effect is still very much in the BETA stage. It also has to render to an off-screen surface and then copy this to the effect destination surface, which gives it a bit of "lag" between parameter adjustments and the start of rendering.

Please report problems as you encounter them.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Thank you very much for updating your plugin. I was waiting for it to make it off that ban list before recommending the 3.5 update to people.

Should I encounter any errors during its use, I'll be sure to post feedback.

Paint.NET has a blacklist of plugins that are problematic, included, etc.

That doesn't look like the best way to address the problem to me. I would much prefer a solution that would allow me to choose whether to load the "problematic" plugin or not on a case-by-case basis.

The reasons are twofold:

1. If I come to depend on a plug-in in my workflow and it does not cause any problems in my scenarios, why should I be locked out of it?

2. If the plugin *does* cause problems in my scenarios, but its author cannot reproduce them, I now cannot help him debug the problem.

This is what I would suggest:

Option 1: pop up a dialog on startup with the names of all the "banned" plugins and a set of options for each:

(*) Ignore ( ) Load ( ) Permanently delete

Option 2: add a command-line argument like:

/forceload=

You can override it by changing the version number of the Assembly, if you know how to do that. That doesn't necessarily mean the plugin will work, however. It will still have whatever problem made Rick decide to block it in the first place. In other words, override the block list is possible, but not recommended.

I understand that but I would still appreciate if you told me how to override the block.

Thanks,

Alex.

I understand that but I would still appreciate if you told me how to override the block.

Pyrochild doesn't block the plugins, so if you want to discuss it you should email Rick Brewster. The only way you can override the block is to disassemble the plugin and change the version number.

KaHuc.png

Pyrochild doesn't block the plugins, so if you want to discuss it you should email Rick Brewster.

1. Pyrochild implied that he knew how to override the block so I asked him to share the information. Surely it is a legitimate request.

2. I prefer a public discussion to private emails. I suspect Rick will also prefer a single public discussion to potentially a multitude of emails.

The only way you can override the block is to disassemble the plugin and change the version number.

I suspect that would only work for unsigned assemblies.

If your workflow depends on a certain plugin, you should check to make sure it's compatible before upgrading Paint.NET. In nearly all cases, it will either be compatible or have an updated version that is, but if not, it's very unlikely that it will "not cause any problems in [your] scenario."

2. If the plugin *does* cause problems in my scenarios, but its author cannot reproduce them, I now cannot help him debug the problem.

If this is the case, it's an order of magnitude for the plugin's author to give you a private build with a changed version number to assist fixing the problem than you changing the version number yourself.

I would still appreciate if you told me how to override the block.
I can't do that, beyond what Simon and I have already told you.

xZYt6wl.png

Hi pyrochild, thank you for your reply.

If your workflow depends on a certain plugin, you should check to make sure it's compatible before upgrading Paint.NET.

Can you suggest how to do that? Does Rick publish a list of blocked plugins or is it "upgrade, find out plugins are blocked, uninstall, find the old version, install" dance?

In nearly all cases, it will either be compatible or have an updated version that is, but if not, it's very unlikely that it will "not cause any problems in [your] scenario."

I use the oct/quad plugin occasionally to "create" shadows. I have never experienced a PDN crash or any other instability. Unless the alleged problem only started manifesting itself in 3.5, in which case I stand corrected.

If this is the case, it's an order of magnitude for the plugin's author to give you a private build with a changed version number to assist fixing the problem than you changing the version number yourself.

So let's say I write a plugin that, for some reason, gets blocked in a subsequent version of PDN. Since I cannot recreate the issue, I advertise that a "beta" build is available for those that want it (for error submission purposes or whatever). The end result is similar to what I suggested (in that it allows the user to load the plugin if they want to) except it provides less flexibility and more work on the user's part (renaming the DLL to make it load / not load, explicitly contacting the author, etc.)

I can't do that, beyond what Simon and I have already told you.

Fair enough.

I understand that Evan has a new version out which I'll get the next time I have time for my PDN-related activities.

However, I still believe that, in the general case, my suggestion merits consideration.

Best regards,

Alex.

So let's say I write a plugin that, for some reason, gets blocked in a subsequent version of PDN. Since I cannot recreate the issue, I advertise that a "beta" build is available for those that want it (for error submission purposes or whatever). The end result is similar to what I suggested (in that it allows the user to load the plugin if they want to) except it provides less flexibility and more work on the user's part (renaming the DLL to make it load / not load, explicitly contacting the author, etc.

Rick is the only one in a position to change the plugin system and the chances are he isn't reading this.

KaHuc.png

Evan thanks for this new version. I often use oct shape. I've also just tried the 3d beta one and find the speed is vastly improved, now I'll be inclined to work with it much more often. Everything seems to be working fine with all your plugins so far ..

One major question: Is there ever a chance you will put separate dll's within a pk similar to how pyrochild, madjik and a few others do. That way I can just populate my effects menu with those I use often?

also any chance of moving the oct shape plugins to a sub menu. perhaps distorts?

once again thanks ever so much for the upgrade.

ciao OMA

Hi pyrochild, thank you for your reply.
If your workflow depends on a certain plugin, you should check to make sure it's compatible before upgrading Paint.NET.

Can you suggest how to do that? Does Rick publish a list of blocked plugins or is it "upgrade, find out plugins are blocked, uninstall, find the old version, install" dance?

Ask on the forum. If you know the plugin's thread, ask there, otherwise it'd be fine to ask in the "Paint.NET v*.* is Now Available!" thread or just create a new thread.
In nearly all cases, it will either be compatible or have an updated version that is, but if not, it's very unlikely that it will "not cause any problems in [your] scenario."

I use the oct/quad plugin occasionally to "create" shadows. I have never experienced a PDN crash or any other instability. Unless the alleged problem only started manifesting itself in 3.5, in which case I stand corrected.

This.

I like these plugins and am glad that they've been updated for 3.5 :D

xZYt6wl.png

Evan thanks for this new version. I often use oct shape. I've also just tried the 3d beta one and find the speed is vastly improved, now I'll be inclined to work with it much more often. Everything seems to be working fine with all your plugins so far ..

One major question: Is there ever a chance you will put separate dll's within a pk similar to how pyrochild, madjik and a few others do. That way I can just populate my effects menu with those I use often?

also any chance of moving the oct shape plugins to a sub menu. perhaps distorts?

once again thanks ever so much for the upgrade.

ciao OMA

I got to agree with Oma's suggestion about the move under Distort, even though I got a long list of distort.

Evan, I must congratulate you for making 3D object much faster. In fact, with only a measly 512 MB of RAM I have on my machine, running that plugin is a snap. No long wait for the image to finish rendering. I can manipulate the position of the object, zoom, and change setting from Box, Torus, or Graph and the simulation is much fast than the previous version.

The reshape plugins are excellent! No problem to report. First thing I did when I open PDN was to check with Plugin Load Error under Utilities, and your plugin is not blocked at all.

Thank you for your update! :mtdew:

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Posted version 1.6

What was the Octagonal/Quadrilateral reshape/matte is now broken up into two effects:

("Distort" submenu)

Quadrilateral Reshape

and

("Transparency" submenu)

Polygonal Transparency

The Polygonal Transparency effect has a configurable number of control points in the range [3, 20].

The Conditional Hue/Saturation adjustment, 3D Object, and mirror effects are still present as well.

In addition to these alterations, a small bug was found and fixed that may or may not have been the cause of the plugin being blocked in the first place.

It's weird how new plugins/features always spark ideas for even better functionality... ;-)

The transparency plugin seems to be morphing (even more) into a masking utility. That said, the ability to maximize the effect window would be extremely helpful when trying to fine-tune the placement of vertex handles.

Also, if an additional handle is needed in a specific spot, being able to right-click to add it in-place would be...muy apreciado.

Last one...

When creating masks, it would be awesome to be able to switch between linear and bezier vertices, on a vertex by vertex basis (additional right-click functionality??).

Your plugins are great as is, so look at these requests as far-fetched and wishful thinking... :D Thanks!

Edit:

Last one...

I lied. :(

And finally, an option to assign separate feather values to each vertex? This would make it easier to make very complex, blended masks; and, (IMO) it would make this effect quite unique in the graphic design world!

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

("Transparency" submenu)

Polygonal Transparency

The Polygonal Transparency effect has a configurable number of control points in the range [3, 20].

thanks thanks thanks from day one when you released the first version of your plugins of octogonal reshape I've been hoping you would get to the version with all these adjustments points. bravo.

one thing that may improve it is if when you use it on one layer then reopen it reverted to the original all around the edge dots. or had a reset button. currently if you use it on one layer then switch layers and use again it starts from the last position it was used.

edit I see just change the number of points and it reverts

ciao

I find a bug in “Quadrilateral reshape” and “Poligonal Transparency” plugins (on Windows XP + SP3).

When the size of edited picture is smaller than the size of picture from plugin window, starting this plugins crashes Paint.Net (always).

I find a bug in “Quadrilateral reshape” and “Poligonal Transparency” plugins (on Windows XP + SP3).

When the size of edited picture is smaller than the size of picture from plugin window, starting this plugins crashes Paint.Net (always).

Thanks for posting this. I've found the source of the problem in a call to a PDN function. I'll ask Rick about it in the developer's forum.

Ok, version 1.7 with a fix for this has been posted. Good find, thanks.