Glass Ball

Sharp

This is intersting, I actually create mine a differnet way by using the lighting effect and inverse it (several times). I will post a full tutorial on my method (unless anyone objects). The pink one looks a little "pixely" try increasing the dpi.

SeriousSam- Fantastic

Paul

Asset Finance links are not welcome here

~ Myrddin

• 2 weeks later...

Great tut, nice and easy to follow for the newbies but informative as well. One thing I would suggest, however - In step 2, instead of just using :EllipseSelectTool:, you might want to add an option for the use of Alpha Masking as well. That would get rid of the rough edges.

Photobucket Sucks!

Great tut, nice and easy to follow for the newbies but informative as well. One thing I would suggest, however - In step 2, instead of just using :EllipseSelectTool:, you might want to add an option for the use of Alpha Masking as well. That would get rid of the rough edges.

Yeah, thought about that. Will add it in if I get the time.

From my reading of the rules, plugins like alpha masking aren't allowed in the newbie playground.

I hope to get time to try this tut in the near future, it looks excellent.

Here is the description of this forum - Newbie Playground

Tutorials that describe the use of core features of Paint.NET such as tools, effects, and adjustments. No plugins should be used in any of these tutorials. Perfect for the wet-behind-the-ear newcomer!

Don't blame me, I didn't write the rules.

As to why, I can only guess that this forum is for new people to learn the basics of the program. There are plenty of forums for posting plug-in tuts and as a new user I can assure you that I have no problem nosying around in them as well.

By the way, I love your hand drawings, they are brilliant.

Here is my take on the tutorial.

glass.jpg

Didn't get the shading right (bottom of g should be the only bit touching the shadow) but not bad for a first effort. There are supposed to be two light sources and a depth to the glass. I will put it in the work in progress, and when I know a bit more I'll have another go.

Great tut for beginners - I think it should be stickied.

BTW, what is the best way to skew? I used oblique, was that right?

heh i'm sorta new to the Paint.Net program.

I'm confused about step 9 and 10. what does it mean to select all then move it back? move what back? and where's the button for moving things back?

Also, for step 10, where is the visibility button?

thanks in advance :P

Thanks for a great tut ! That was a whole bunch of fun! This is my first try on this tut.

GlassBall.png

Then I decided to put something in the ball. So then I played around with the shadow after reading the discussion on the focal point of the light affecting the shadow. I guess if there is a solid object inside the ball that would change the physical properties of the shadow. So I doubt that I am even close as far as being physically realistic, but I think this tut does a good job of teaching the basics of hi-lights, shading, and shadows. And it was fun and easy to follow.

GlassBallEMA.png

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Hey Roadkill

Love your orb, just beautiful.

I'm confused about step 9 and 10. what does it mean to select all then move it back? move what back? and where's the button for moving things back?

Just use the move selection tool, there is no 'back' button.

Visibility is in the layers box. You can turn a layer's visibility off and on.

Hey Roadkill

Love your orb, just beautiful.

Just use the move selection tool, there is no 'back' button.

Visibility is in the layers box. You can turn a layer's visibility off and on.

Thanks ! I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I have been having trouble understanding how to do the hi lights and this helped me a great deal. Thanks again !

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, here's my go at it. I think it turned out pretty nice. Comments/critisicm? :)

BTW, easy tutorial to follow (except for the moving the shadow part, I was stuck on that for awhile).

glassball.jpg

Edit: I read somebody said somehting about putting lightning in there, so I attempted to. Not sure of exactly how well it worked, but here ya go.

glassball1.jpg

sparxsig8.jpg

nice sparxx! i will have to try this when i actually have gotten some sleep lol.... been up for 28 hours straight lmao damn insomnia.

Oh yeah sparxx love the avatar man nice use of the atari kids font i have taken a liking to that font as well lol

btw i just noticed My screen name shortened is TOC

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Hi all! This is my first time trying this type of art. I followed the tutorial and added some embellishments.

I welcome any criticisms and comments, as I would definitely like to better my skills.

Have a blessed day!

Gypsy

[CrystalBall2.png]

• 1 month later...
Hi...im new at this and i was wondering....how do you add a subtile gradient.I found the gradient tool but all it does is change half of the screen color.

Can you explain a little bit? Don't quite get what your saying.

Messed mine up... the eclipse select dissapeared and now i can't get it back...

Should i start again or can i do some kind of instant select on the layer with the eclipse tool?

I'll put an image here eventually... once i get used to this program.^_^