Glass Ball

Sharp

It's funny how something so relatively simple can be a lot of fun to do. After going through the tutorial on how to make a glass ball, I decided to do something of a similiar nature with using Gaussian Blur and the Motion Blur effects.

33155_0d2d73cacd09ca2106454e93759d92f7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello! This is my first post & first use of a tutorial using Paint.net and its forums. I hope you all like it.

Spotlight.png

Once I saw Sharp's finished product having the two light-focal points at the top, it got me thinking as to an idea on putting a visible light source.. Once I did the shadow, I figured why not make a spot light! Light Rays & Gaussian Blur! Can't go wrong, hah. :D

The only thing I'd like to apologize about is the size of the picture. Its 40px larger than it should be (don't know if its a huge offense) but I'm unaware as to how to reduce the size of the image while maintaining the "look" of the piece. I didn't want to end up having this oddly-illongated looking image which, when I attempted to change it, is all that happened.

Sorry!

-Enzo

So this is the first time I have done anything with a program like this... I can take criticism well because I understand that is how I become better. Anyone got any tips for what I could do better next time? And thanks for making this tutorial! I would not have figured it out on my own, this is amazing!!! :D

39457_a835d8446ef1d8d01705d2eb70469694

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Boude

Anything glass that isn't plat changed the direction of light, either bundeling it or the oposite, http://en.wikipedia....i/Lens_(optics), this means that the shadow of the ball should be a focal point, a point where the rays of light meet, so a point that is lighter then the rest. learn your physics boltbait.big_smile.png .

i get what you mean by the shadow should be distorted by the glass of the ball but i wouldnt know how i shud look and since you seem to be an expert on physics ide like to see your version of this with the focal point of the shadow please boltbait.big_smile.png

Edited by an evil guy

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...I just can't seem to get this to work. I keep getting stumped at Step 9. When I click to use the :MoveTool: to resize the shadow, it moves the elipses I made in Step 2. If someone can tell me what I'm doing wring it would be greatly appreciated.

HeartSigSmall.jpg

LukasMaximus,

Step 8 tells you to add a new layer.

The shadow needs to be on its own layer

so that nothing else is affected when it

is moved and resized.

Edited by Sarkut

LukasMaximus,

Step 8 tells you to add a new layer.

The shadow needs to be on its own layer

so that nothing else is affected when it

is moved and resized.

Thanks, I'll go test this out ASAP.

HeartSigSmall.jpg

I'm still having trouble w/ this one. I did add the layer at Step 8, but when I get to Step 9, it still won't move the shadow. My elipses from Step 2 moves, and the shadow stays on the ball. Do I need to deselect the elipses and then select the shadow from Step 8? Because the elipses has been selected the whole time.

HeartSigSmall.jpg

You need to be sure that your shadow gradient is on its own layer,

and that it is the working layer when you move and reshape the shadow.

So, in the Layers window, click on the shadow layer immediately

before moving the shadow.

the elipses has been selected the whole time.

The selection isn't tied to those ellipses.

That selection will apply to whatever layer is the

active working layer and won't affect the other layers.

Edited by Sarkut

Ok Sarkut. I finally figured out what was wrong. I did have the gradient on a layer of its own. What was wrong was that I was mixing up the :Move Selected Pixels: tool w/ the :Move Selection: tool. I am having trouble w/ my shadow though sitting under the ball, but I think I can figure that out. It's probably just some adjustments I'll have to make due to the fact that I can't follow every step exactly, it turns out differnt for everyone, so... Thanks for your help. Btw, when you mentionec selection, thats what made me consider that difference between the 2 move tools.

HeartSigSmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine. I took the liberty of adding an object into the ball as well. I know that the lighting bevel I put on it is less than perfect, but what'cha gonna do? I also used a different method for the shadows for the ball and object. Instead of using the MOVE tool, I used the ZOOM/ROTATE (CTRL + SHIFT + Z) tool to tilt the layer. One of the benefits of this method, is that when I created the shadow for the object, all I had to do was re-open the tool and the settings for the rotation and position were already in there from when I did the one for the ball. This tool also allows you to slide the layer around, so you can get the exact angle and position you like in one step while maintaining accurate proportions.

Here's what I did for the object itself:

1.) After positioning the shadow for the ball itself, select the background layer and then add a new one.

2.) Paste your object into the layer and position it as desired.

3.) Duplicate your later.

4.) On the lower layer, create a black drop shadow . UNCHECK THE KEEP ORIGINAL IMAGE BOX and press OK.

5.) Press CTRL + SHIFT + Z. Once the tool loads, simply press ENTER. This will position the object shadow in the exact location it should be to line up with the shadow for the ball.

If you're making a translucent object (something that light can partially pass through), then adjust your transparency setting for the shadow layer to something suitable. A light gaussian blur will help this effect as well.

glassball.jpg

Edited by Treylan
SpellWeaverSiggy.png

Please excuse my double post. I went to edit the previous one and it added a new one when I hit save.

Accidents happen boltbait.smile.png - I deleted the surplus post for you.

• 2 months later...