Detailed Aged Parchment

Magistrate

Parchment Tutorial by Magistrate

Purpose: To make an aged piece of parchment paper.

Finished Product: image14zc0.th.pngthpix.gif

1. Go to your Colors Window, hit "More >>" next to the drop-down list and above the color selector, and then go to the right. About 5 lines down is the word "Hex"- to the right is a field with "000000". Enter the hexadecimal color code "e9dbba" and then hit "<<< Less" to shrink the Colors Window again so that it's out of your way. Your Primary color should now be set to a tan-type color. This will be your base color.

image1er8.png

2. Select the Fill tool from your Tools Window and fill the Background Layer with the tan color you just added. Then create a new layer on top of the Background Layer- the name doesn't matter.

image2yc9.png

w256.png

3. Now go down to your Colors Window again and right below the tan color square is a black box overlaying a white box- click on it to reset your Primary and Secondary colors to prepare for the next step.

image3il4.png

4. Now, with your colors reset, on the new layer, go to Effects in the File bar at the top and then go to Render -> Clouds. Keep it at default settings and hit OK.

image4al3.png

5. Now, on the layer with the black and white clouds that you made in Step 4, go to Effects -> Stylize -> Emboss. You can just leave it at default settings once again. Now hit OK.

(Image_5)

6. Now, you should see a border from the Emboss effect around your picture- a white line on the right and a dark on the left:

image6ca6.th.png

To fix this, we are going to crop out the edges by going to the Tools Window and selecting the Rectangle Select tool. Select everything in the picture but those edges. Now go to Edit in the File bar on the top, and then at the very top click on "Crop to Selection". If done correctly, the very small outside edges that weren't selected should be gone, and you should only be left with the Embossed Clouds.

image7oe5.th.pngthpix.gif

(Note: Golden text added for comedic relief from this tedious tutorial with a result that's probably not quite worth the effort- your result so far should not include this text! If it does, please consult your local .NET framwork programmer for assistance.)

7. Now set the Embossed Clouds layer to "Overlay". To do this, go to Layers in the File bar at the top of the screen and go down to Layer Properties. Underneath Blending in the resulting window, click on the drop-down arrow and scroll a little until you find Overlay. Select it and then hit OK. So far, your texture should look like this:

image8en5.png

w257.png

That concludes the very simple version- flatten and your done. The following options are just embellishment.

8. Now, we're going to turn up the wrinkle quotient of the paper. To do this, select your Embossed Clouds layer and go to the File bar at the top of the screen. Then go over and click on Adjustments. Click on Brightness/Contrast, and then change the Contrast indicator to your liking- I set mine at 60. If you did this step at the same exact number I did, your texture should look like this:

image9ty4.png

w257.png

9. Next, we're going to add an old script watermark to give it some extra retro flair. To do this, flatten the image (if you haven't already) by going to Image -> Flatten in the File bar at the top of the screen. Then add a new layer (once again, the name does not matter) and select the Text tool from the Tools window and click in the upper left-hand corner of the image. Select some kind of old, elegant, and/or cryptic font, make sure the font size is descent, and then copy & paste the following text a couple million times until the whole paper is covered with symmetrical and evenly spaced lines of text:

Etiam eget urna sed nunc rutrum varius. Suspendisse ultrices, felis non vestibulum iaculis, mauris eros placerat mauris, non accumsan arcu nisi ac magna. Morbi ornare. Maecenas scelerisque nisi nec odio. Proin luctus neque quis augue. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Suspendisse potenti. Nulla ultrices posuere libero. Cras non neque id tellus tincidunt convallis. Curabitur rhoncus facilisis nunc. Proin in risus. Aliquam augue risus, tempus et, pretium suscipit, tempus eget, orci. Phasellus leo augue, malesuada eu, molestie a, vestibulum vel, erat. Nam pellentesque. Vestibulum vulputate malesuada lorem. Cras tincidunt euismod odio. Sed eu risus. Etiam lorem nisl, elementum eget, dignissim vel, tincidunt eu, eros. Maecenas a ligula.

(Yes, web developers- or people who know latin- should be familiar with Lorem Ipsum- I got this off the Lorem Ipsum generator at http://www.lipsum.com.)

If you're curious, the font I used is called "Abaddon". It should now look similar to this from edge to edge:

image10mk6.png

w257.png

10. Now, we're going to make it more mysterious looking- by erasing some of your hard-pasted text. Select the Erase tool from the Tools Window and set it to about 50 pixels in diameter (this is the Brush Width two bars below the File bar at the top of the screen). Erase random chunks here and there and try to avoid accidentally making straight lines of erasing. Don't be too picky, though, we want it to look natural. It should look similar to this:

image11lp5.th.png

11. Next, we must blend it in with your parchment background. So, blur your text layer by going to Effects in the File bar, and then to Blurs -> Gaussian Blur. Set it to about 4- it will vary depending on your font. Then set the Blurred text layer to Overlay (if you don't know how to do that, check step #7).

image12di2.th.pngthpix.gif

12. You've probably noticed something- it might be a tad too light for you liking (the text). The solution: darken it! (Who'dve thought?) Anyway, to do this, select the text layer, and go to Adjustments -> Brightness/Contrast and then set all your bars to their default values (do this by clicking the arrows next to the white boxes on the right of the bars). Set Brightness to -100 and Contrast to 100. Repeat. Then go to Effects -> Photo -> Sharpen and set it to max- hit OK. It should look similar to this:

image13hn6.png

w344.png

13. Now flatten it again (if you don't know how to do this, see step #9).

And your done.

I added a little more with just some more layers, blurring, shapes, overlaying, etc. and got this:

image15kw1.th.pngthpix.gif

(Yes, it looks cheesy, but I tried to do something special for the end.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Very nice, yet simple tut, I'm gonna keep it in mind for sure. Here's my outcome:

1.png

I made some of my own little tweaks.

real good :wink:

Amazing tutorial, used successfully on 3 school projects and 2 wallpapers.

10/10!

phyxiussignature2.png

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." - Robert Bloch

My Gallery

• 4 months later...

Great tut :) . I've been playing around with the texture effect to suit lined paper and after 10mins i got this

Paper.jpg

“We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell”

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a web and looking for for some new ideas about the 2.0 thats why I am here, but still unable to find the required but I hope I will find it soon

Nensi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is one of the first tuts I have tried.

I used it along with another tut from here to make this for a lesson I was teaching...

1017TITLESLIDE.jpg

Your tut was just what I was looking for. Thank you!

dynojugglersigsmall-1.jpg