Realistic(ish) Fur

Nidoking

This is a step by step tutorial about how to make some fur. This is my first tutorial. Its kind of a weird method and there is probably an eisier way but tyhis is my way.

First you start with a dark brownish oringish picture. I chose this one.

Tree.jpg

Then you mess around with it in curves. Put the lumanosity so it curves to the top and then the bottom and the top and bottom. It should eventually look something like this.

LargeBallPreShape3dPreMessAroundWit.jpg

After that radial blur it.Then use curves again to get the color more orangish.

LargeBallPreShape3dPreMessAround-1.jpg

Once you have the color how you want it use shape 3D to turn it into a sphere.

LargeBall.jpg

Then shrink the sphere to a small size.

SmallBall.jpg

Then copie it multiple times.

SmallBalls.jpg

Keep doing this until it covers the screen with small balls.

ManysmallBalls.jpg

Then fosted glass them at ten.

TigerFurPreBlur.jpg

Then motion blur them a little.

TigerFurPreZoom.jpg

Finnaly zoom in and ta-da!

TigerFur.jpg

Anways post pictures, critisize, improve on or praise.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok there's lots of unnecessary steps in this... For instance you take a random image, mess with curves, shape 3d, then shrink it only to get a small brown blob of maybe 20x20 pixels? I don't see the point... you could just use the elliptic selection tool, select brown & dark brown as colours and render clouds on the selection... to get that same small blob of brown with far less work.

Also for filling the screen with the blobs... just copy it a few times until you fill a square area, select & copy the square and use tile fill.

Although as Ash said this can be done a lot simpler with render clouds and a few blurs.

ndeee2.png

Ok here's a method I devised in 5 minutes or so.

1. set colours to dark brown and light brown, both slightly desaturated. Render clouds at scale 50 and roughness 1,00

2. add noise with intensity 60, colour saturation 0, coverage 100

3. motion blur with dist 10 and slightly tilted angle

4. add a new layer and set colours to black&white, then render clouds on the new layer at scale 250 and roughness 0,50

5. set the new layer to multiply @ 120 (or overlay if you want lighter fur), merge it to the lower layer, and you have this:

fur.png

Edited by n d

ndeee2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here's a method I devised in 5 minutes or so.

1. set colours to dark brown and light brown, both slightly desaturated. Render clouds at scale 50 and roughness 1,00

2. add noise with intensity 60, colour saturation 0, coverage 100

3. motion blur with dist 10 and slightly tilted angle

4. add a new layer and set colours to black&white, then render clouds on the new layer at scale 250 and roughness 0,50

5. set the new layer to multiply @ 120 (or overlay if you want lighter fur), merge it to the lower layer, and you have this:

fur.png

BUT the OP's version looks better...no offence!

• 4 months later...